I'm a Chauvinist?

Options

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I'm a student, and around many young adults, I can tell you that there is much holding doors open for people going on here. The young'uns are just as likely to be polite as the older people. However, nobody stands when I enter a room. That would be a bit off-putting for me. Lots of "oh, please, don't get up!", etc. instead of the normal greetings of griping about the weather.

I always stand to attention when you enter a room.

:wink:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm not a fan of guys who open doors specifically for women only. Why not open doors for EVERYONE who seems in need of help?

Because it's nicer to watch a woman walking through the door than a man...

Ooooo. :laugh: Truth comes out?
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm a door holder no matter the sex and if I get a thank you that's nice and if I don't well then I still did the right thing.
    This

I live in the midwest and this is incredibly commonplace tho. That's just what we do here.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I'm a student, and around many young adults, I can tell you that there is much holding doors open for people going on here. The young'uns are just as likely to be polite as the older people. However, nobody stands when I enter a room. That would be a bit off-putting for me. Lots of "oh, please, don't get up!", etc. instead of the normal greetings of griping about the weather.

I always stand to attention when you enter a room.

:wink:

:flowerforyou:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm not a fan of guys who open doors specifically for women only. Why not open doors for EVERYONE who seems in need of help?

Ha! Well, that further confirms why I dislike it, then. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Ha! Well, that further confirms why I dislike it, then. :)

You convinced me, I'll stop.

I need to anyway, my shoe rig for my gopro is almost ready. If only it were summer.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I'm in the South, and in general, people hold doors for each other. I've a had a few instances where someone has dropped a door right on me, I just open it up and say loudly "thank you so much for holding the door". Normally they ignore me, but I feel better because I feel like I've made my point.

I am an equal opportunity door holder. Male, female, young or old, I don't care. It's just plain common courtesy. My husband and I raised our son (our only child) to hold doors for people, too. It was cute when he was about 5 years old because he LOVED to play doorman. It usually made us late, but he really liked doing it and people got a kick out of it.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I hold the door for anyone but that is just the way I was raised.

On a side note, I watched a lady berate the hell out of a kid this past week for holding the door open for her and gesturing to her to go ahead in front of him. After he kinda let the door close and was telling her he is sorry, as she opened the door for herself and was walking in, I smiled at him and told him he had nothing to be sorry for because some people in the world don't understand simple acts of kindness (made sure she heard me).

I've seen this happen. It's never pretty.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I can only say that I appreciate it when someone holds the door for me. I have 3 (grown) sons, they had better hold the door for a woman. If not, "Momma's gonna get ugly."

I am raising my sons to be couteous and polite (they are 7) so I fully appreciate your statement!!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I'm courteous as often as possible, but I don't expect anyone else to be. I figure I've done nothing to earn anyone else's courtesy, so I've no right to expect it. This way I'm always pleasantly surprised when I get it, and remain in my typically content, self-sufficient state when I don't.

tumblr_m78piliQV11r7l90q.gif
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I can only say that I appreciate it when someone holds the door for me. I have 3 (grown) sons, they had better hold the door for a woman. If not, "Momma's gonna get ugly."

I am raising my sons to be couteous and polite (they are 7) so I fully appreciate your statement!!

Okay so I'm at risk of sounding extremely chauvinistic here, but so many women I know on MFP and in real life always feel obligated to show their sons the importance of being a gentleman. In my opinion, this is the father's responsibility to show them how to be a man.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I am 66 and a woman and hold the door open, or give up a seat in the bus/subway or do similar small services to anyone who needs it in the case of the door , or who needs a seat more than I. I do this for both sexes equally.
    But if my hands are empty and I need no help no one needs to hold the door open for me, just because I am a woman. I find the idea that things are done for me " just because I am a woman " insulting. However in the case of the OP's wife I find the action of the student somewhat selfish, unless of course he was unaware of her presence .
    For example; I need help in the super market with getting things down from high shelf because I am five feet tall and not because I am a woman. Last year I walked with a cane due to balance problems and was grateful when a seat in public transportation was offered to me, because I obviously had problems. Now that I am much better I don't care if I am offered a seat or not, because I don't need it just because I am a woman.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I always hold the door open for women. Then when they pass me I give them a nice slap on the *kitten* :laugh: :laugh:
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Really though, I hold the door open for everyone and anyone
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I am appreciative when people open a door for me when my hands are full; in recent memory, I believe the exact phrase I used in all earnestness was "Thank you very much indeed." I try to extend the same courtesy to others every time I can.

However, I would like to throw in one teeny tiny wrinkle y'all may not have thought of, that may allow you to think more generously of people who don't hold the door sometimes.

They may have some level of hidden disability. I sometimes have chronic shoulder problems, and if I under-do it or over-do it with physical therapy or heavy lifting, it really hurts to hold a door open for the person behind me, so I have to let it shut and I feel really, really sheepish about that. And if I'm coming up to the door first when I would normally hold it to let someone else pass, sometimes I have to just do the minimum amount of pulling to let myself squeak through in order to minimize the time my shoulder is under load.

Some of them are just boorish louts, no doubt about it, but please consider being charitable in your thoughts, because some of them might just be temporarily or permanently incapacitated and you just can't tell by looking.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It's good to be kind and hold the door for someone who's hands are full, or who is right there - that's just being a nice person, I agree with everyone about that.

However, I hate it when I'm 10-20 steps away from a door, like nowhere CLOSE to a door, and nothing is in my hands, and someone stands there and holds it open for me. Then I feel like I have to RUN to get through the door. Once I didn't run and continued my own pace and the person got super pissed. I'd seriously rather just open my own door than have to jog to a door, at that point it's way more inconvenient than a courtesy.

If the worst thing that happened to me today had to do with someone holding/not holding a door, I think it would be a pretty good day.
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options

Okay so I'm at risk of sounding extremely chauvinistic here, but so many women I know on MFP and in real life always feel obligated to show their sons the importance of being a gentleman. In my opinion, this is the father's responsibility to show them how to be a man.

Absolutely. Meanwhile, mothers should focus their efforts on their daughters and teach them how to properly scrub pots and pans and pump out babies.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    nvm. tmi.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Yep, you sure do. Not everybody has a father in their life (for a variety of reasons, none of which require you to pass judgment on), and not every mother has the luxury of delegating the responsibility of teaching human decency to their children. I'm pretty sure you don't need a penis to teach someone how to behave like a gentleman. Are girls raised by their fathers doomed to a lifetime of un-ladylike behavior (whatever TF that means...)?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'll hold a door open for a man, woman or child. It's called courtesy.

It's still the norm where I live in England.