What to do with an eggplant

Options
I've never cooked an eggplant before and only tried it one other time when it was smothered in cheese and other stuff so I'm not really sure how it tastes. I just bought it because it was funny looking and wanted to try something new . So what are your favorite recipes for eggplants?

:D

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Eggplant cannelloni. I like this version: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/eggplant-cannelloni/

Eggplant has little to no flavor, so it pretty much absorbs whatever you cook it in. It makes a good meat substitution, or in this case, a pasta substitution.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Make pasta sauce with it (usually a tomato-based one with whatever I fancy: borlotti beans, mushroom, pancetta etc). Usually salt and press it for 30 mins or so beforehand to prevent it from soaking up too much oil, though.
  • asongforholly
    asongforholly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That eggplant cannelloni looks amazing and is now on my to-make list. Thanks!

I made eggplant "pizza" last week. Let me find the recipe I used. The marinara was amazing.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/08/recipe-for-julia-childs-eggplant-pizzas.html
  • ksmithnh
    ksmithnh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have two favorite eggplant recipes...

I cut the eggplant lengthwise and roast it in the oven and then use those pieces in place of lasagna noodles and make a fantastic eggplant lasagna with 1/2 pkg lean ground turkey, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms and mozzarella. Its so good and very easy! I dont use a recipe. I originally used full fat, fresh mozzarella but would prob use a lighter version now.

The other is more of a mediterranean style recipe. You brown cut up chicken breast or thighs, then a mixture of cubed eggplant, red, orange, and yellow peppers, onions, plum tomatoes, kalata olives, garlic and red wine vinegar, then toss chicken back in and cook all together a few more minutes. I have it over couscous or whole wheat pasta and it so good and a nice big portion. Here's the recipe online at WW - http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeId=50354&tab=2&sort=2
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Rollini
    Eggplant Parm (lightened up...look for the Martha Stewart recipe, large portions smaller calories =win)
    You can sub in eggplant for half of meat in lasagna and make it lighter.

Eggplant is one of those really meaty vegetables (I think so anyway), so it is really versital to use in place of ground beef and stuff like that.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille: a simple French stew made with aubergine, tomatoes, courgette and peppers. No cheese, low in fat. Great with pasta or on a baked potato.

http://www.delicious-low-fat-recipes.com/french-ratatouille-recipe.html
  • helpmeet2day
    helpmeet2day Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Slice it, dip it in butter and milk mixture with salt, then flour or breadcrumbs and fry in olive oil. Quick/easy
  • silveropes
    silveropes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    eggplant is great in place of noodles in lasagna I grill it then use it as a noodle layer
  • sknapstein
    sknapstein Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Eggplant cannelloni. I like this version: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/eggplant-cannelloni/

yum. this looks really good.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Great Mediterranean dip called baba ganoush.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    cut it in thin pieces, add brown sugar on top cook at low heat(try not to burn the sugar) when ready add soy sauce on top. Bang....really good!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Mine is simple. Take eggplant olive oil and sea salt...Hand off to husband. Stop worrying about it. Open pop tart, eat. So yummy!!!!!!!6a0120a721c2d7970b0163025b6c1d970d-320wi
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    A lot of eggplant recipes can be quite high cal, because it absorbs a lot of fat.

I like to slice in half inch slices, spray or brush with olive oil, and grill on a cast iron griddle pan.

Another low fat treatment is to grill in the oven or on a gas flame to blacken the skin all over. Then scoop out the flesh for dips like baba ganoush,
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Make eggplant steaks. Peel and cut thick slices. Marinate in whatever you want then grill.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Best to approach the new exotic foods with a good plan. My Beautiful wife and I will begin by storing the exotic food in the crisper drawer. We will then diligently check the item daily for firmness and color. When the exotic food item becomes soft or discolored, simply discard said item, clean crisper drawer and go shopping for next exotic food item.

The eggplant cannelloni may be a good alternate plan if you do not have the patience and fortitude to complete plan "A".:wink:
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    Mine is simple. Take eggplant olive oil and sea salt...Hand off to husband. Stop worrying about it. Open pop tart, eat. So yummy!!!!!!!6a0120a721c2d7970b0163025b6c1d970d-320wi

Poptarts make me sick though
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    Best to approach the new exotic foods with a good plan. My Beautiful wife and I will begin by storing the exotic food in the crisper drawer. We will then diligently check the item daily for firmness and color. When the exotic food item becomes soft or discolored, simply discard said item, clean crisper drawer and go shopping for next exotic food item.

The eggplant cannelloni may be a good alternate plan if you do not have the patience and fortitude to complete plan "A".:wink:

lmao!!!!! this is the best!
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    thanks for all of the ideas everyone! I'm going to run some of these by my boyfriend and see what he thinks we could least ruin. :D
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

lmao!!!!! this is the best!

OMG we have done this a thousand times!
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    if you like Indian food look up eggplant bharta. if you like middle eastern food look up baba ghanoush. Both are tasty and more of a dip but both start with roasting in the oven (or over an open flame) until the skin is all black and then you peel it off, scoop out the flesh and add your other ingredients. Both are tasty!