Calories burned while grocery shopping

Options

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    (You may ask: "well if you exercised so much, how did you get fat?" My answer is "this *kitten* loves to eat!")
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i always count it because its something i dont do very often and is tiring!
    generally i just count it as walking (but not the whole time... say i parked for 2 hours, I will count a hour of walking...remember you walk slower and keep stopping to look at things when shopping...) though sometimes add on 5 mins of weight lifting if ive had to carry heavy stuff for a decent amount of time... (like Christmas i had to carry something stupidly heavy for half hour )
    uh if that makes sense...
    x
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    No... I wouldn't count it at all.

It is part of daily activity. As is cleaning, dishes, showering, etc etc.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I sort of concur with what most people said here... the only way I see it as different is because it is a once in while actvitity, NOT something you do everyday (and everyday activity levels are part of what goes into deteremining your DAILY caloric goal.)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a funny question. Do you think calories burned during grocery shopping should be counted? Let me explain......I'm beginning to discover if I don't eat back all or most of my exercise calories my weight loss stalls, but it sure is hard to estimate calories burned for certain activities. I just came home from shopping. I was in the store 1 hour and 15 minutes, pushing around a very heavy cart, loaded all the groceries in the cart, took them all out of the cart ( to be checked out), then loaded them into the car, then upstairs once at my house, then put them all away. Probably at least 20 bags, some very heavy. Just seems that calorie burn should be included....what do you think? And any idea how to even figure out how many cals I burned......there is nothing similar on MFP.

Thanks much!
    Kim : )

There are a couple of problems with this scenario:

1. In your basic setup, even if you set your activity level to "sedentary", you are still given an allowance each day for activity calories. People seem to assume that because that allowance is included, that means you automatically burn that number of calories every day. That is not necessarily true. Some days you might do more, some less. Also, exerting yourself sporadically for a brief period of time doesn't necessarily mean you burn an excess of calories for that day. Maybe the rest of the day you were more sedentary, so it balanced out.

2. Most people grossly overestimate the number of calories they burn performing casual activities. I doubt that your little shopping trip burned more that 40 or 50 calories more than you would have burned sitting in a chair, even less if you compare it to what you might have otherwise done at home had you not gone shopping.

My personal feeling is that trying to chase activity calories is a fool's errand the vast majority of the time.
  • jon9949
    jon9949 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Close to 150 calories an hour
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    None of this is meant in a judgemental way.

I wouldn't log it, this is wishful thinking. If it feels like a workout, then really that's a sign that you need to actually workout. And yes I've been to Costco and filled up the SUV with groceries and all that.

"Feeling" like you worked out, is not the same as doing something significant to burn calories and/or get stronger. Counting calories isn't about "feel", it's about accuracy so you don't short change yourself and so you can achieve your goals.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I only count real work outs that get my heart rate up - shopping may take 1 to 2 hrs for me but it is stop and look, go - stop go so I never feel its an actual work out - But I do find that when unloading the days I have bought 5 cases of water and have had to carry them along my long front walkway thru the hall way thru the kitchen to the garage , i should count that as a work out - before I lost some weight I would be out of breath and I now don`t feel a thing - But i actually enjoy it and not count things like that.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You guys realize this is an old thread resurrected for no good reason from last spring?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    (I know it's necromanced, but I'll chime in anyhow...)

Get a fitbit. Sure, it won't be entirely accurate, but it will give you some credit for the additional activity.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I enter stuff like that.
    However, I under log everything like that.

True "workouts" like a solid hour of hiking, biking, or a long very brisk walk meant for exercise with me, mp3 player, sneakers, the whole bit. Those things I log precise amount of time.

But let's say I go to the supermarket, walk around the store for an hour, bag my stuff, carry it inside, etc. Total of 1.5 hrs but I'll log 30 min walking leisurely pace.

If I walk for 4 hours at a zoo or shopping mall, stopping quite a bit to look at exhibits/shop...I will log 60 min leisurely pace walking.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Make it easy on yourself. Put your activity level to lightly active and only count actual exercise (weight lifting/cardio/etc...). That way you don't have to worry about asking questions like these because it is already accounted for.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    For people looking to lose weight or get healthy, "exercise" should be something done for the purpose of raising your heart rate significantly for a prescribed period of time (15 minutes or more) for the purpose of promoting either your health or calorie loss. If you walk around the store in a low martial arts posture to feel the burn in your legs, load your cart with many 2.5 gallon bottles of water before you start and accelerate/decelerate the cart quickly, or something similar, maybe its exercise, otherwise, if you are wondering about logging daily activities that are not out of the ordinary as "exercise", there is something wrong in your mental thought process about exercise. Its not that you aren't getting "credit" for it, you are, its your chosen daily activity level.

Most daily activities should be accounted for in your daily activity level. If they really are out of the ordinary, things like shopping/cleaning/walking short distances etc. I would much rather them burn that slight excess to account for all the errors in calorie logging and true exercise estimates, than "eat back" some small amount that probably isn't above your daily activity rate and end up sabotaging your weight loss. People get mad about this topic, probably because they seem to view it as "invalidating" cleaning or childcare or some such, but its not: its part of your daily life so its not "exercise" above your basal metabolic rate plus daily activity level burn...it just isn't. And if you start doing logging like this, where does it stop?

I'd just try to take these activities as equaling out the times you sit on the couch and watch a movie and burn below your chosen activity level, when you lie in bed for an extra half hour or drive for 1hr in traffic -- just as you don't log these low rate burn activities as "below rate" time, I wouldn't log the high ranging burn daily activities as exercise.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a funny question. Do you think calories burned during grocery shopping should be counted?

no.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    (I know it's necromanced, but I'll chime in anyhow...)

Get a fitbit. Sure, it won't be entirely accurate, but it will give you some credit for the additional activity.

Was coming here to say precisely this. I set MFP to sedentary, and let fitbit give me extra calories based on my actual activity levels during the day.

Otherwise, just estimate your actual activity level, and set the MFP activity level accordingly. Then log only actual exercise. The grocery shopping should be factored in as part of your overall base non-exercise activity level.

Third option is to use a calculator to figure your TDEE including exercise, and use the TDEE - 20% method. Then don't log any exercise at all.

I don't suggest crossing the three.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You did that before you decided to lose weight...it didn't help you then so why would it now?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If shopping was an exercise to be logged I would be considered a world class marathoner!!!!!!!! But personally I would not log it. Our bodies are burning calories 24/7, you can't count everything! I only log an 'scheduled workout'.
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    I wouldn't log it. I mean i'm sure you burn a good amount walking around for over an hour but it just seems so desperate to log something like that. Like when people log, Sitting, standing, writing, cooking, cleaning. Just, no.

If I don't sweat I don't log it. If i'm out walking around for 2-3 hours I might log 1 hour slow walking.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    If your calorie allotment is sedentary or lightly active, yes. If the calories are already given to you in a moderate or highly active setting, then no.
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree. I do MAJOR grocery shopping once a month (instead of shopping weekly like most people) and I always end up feeling like I had a workout.

i'm the same way mom and i do most of our shopping once a month and wind up with 2 baskets of groceries especially this time of year one very full and the other up to halfway full and we spend minimum 3 hours walking the store then 20 minutes in line (minimum) and then when we check out at least 10-15 minutes fighting about how to put the groceries in (their groceries they dont care how they go in the trunk) then when we get home taking them inside and putting them away