I'm a Chauvinist?

Options
123457»

Replies

• man_in_drag
    Options
    I'm happy with where this thread has gone! So very nice.

I think you may have spoken too soon. There is now throat punching and head smacking going on, in the name of manners no less. Is THIS finally irony guise? Is it?

throat punching and head smacking? line forms here!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with where this thread has gone! So very nice.

I think you may have spoken too soon. There is now throat punching and head smacking going on, in the name of manners no less. Is THIS finally irony guise? Is it?

gah. THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Last night my wife travelled about 80 miles to help my daughter pack up her apartment in preparation for moving. As my wife was walking up the walkway to the apartment building, a College student (male) walked ahead of her, opened the door, entered, and let it shut on my wife. My wife had a vacuum cleaner in one hand and a carpet cleaner in the other.

I know the kid didn't do anything wrong, but, when my wife called last night and told me, it plssed me off.

What happened to manners? Opening doors for other people? Giving up your seat to a woman or an older person? Standing when a woman enters the room?

These are just common courtesies that we were raised to practice. Does showing courtesy and/or deference make me a Chauvinist?

One thing that I have noticed over tha last few years is that when I open a door for someone and let them enter ahead of me, they are surprised. Is it that uncommon now?

I'm a little dissappointed. People are so self-involved. Half the younger people I see these days have ear buds in and are looking down at their cell phone, texting. They don't even know what is going on around them. But, I guess, I prefer to thing that they are unaware than intentionally rude.

nope not at all. however these things should take place REGARDLESS of sex. i hold the door open for anyone and will most certainly give up my seat to an elderly individual. sadly not only can it be an age thing (younger individuals not showing kindness to another person) but it's also regional. i can count on one hand how many times a door was held open for me while living in MA but here in VA i don't have enough hands to count how many times the door IS held open for me.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is a huge turn on, and not to sound like a primadonna here but I expect that sort of respect in a relationship. My folks raised my brother to open to door for my sister and me, and for all of us to open doors for other people, particularly if they were older. No chauninism here OP, only gentlemanliness!
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have seriously enjoyed reading this entire thread. :drinker:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It is common courtesy, not chauvinism. I hold the door for everyone. Well, I evaluate the situation and hold the door if it seems the helpful and polite choice. But, I don't hold it to the point that they need to run to catch up to the door, or if they feel rushed in some way. But, if it's one elevator that goes up 7+ floors I will hold it for people, especially if they clearly need the elevator.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Case-by-case situation with me, but I treat it as gender-neutral courtesy rather than chivalry. :smile:

My current job has a lot of 'badge-thru' doors, so you're technically not supposed to hold them open but I will sometimes depending on the specifics.
    I remember one time crossing street from our parking deck I passed a slower walking lady. I was easily 40 feet ahead of her when I badged-in the building entrance. I was going to hold door open, but I was face-to-face with 2 people exiting. I moved out of their way figuring that they'd hold the door; they didn't. For 2-3 minutes, I heard her LOUDLY ranting behind me to somebody, "I knew he was going to do that!" I was trying to ignore her but when we got to scanners and man-traps, she was STILL ranting! Since she was now only 6 feet behind me and 2 security officers were nearby, I finally was fed up and turned around and confronted her explaining what happened. She was stunned into silence and wouldn't even make eye contact with anyone, let alone me. As I was going through the 2nd mantrap I said, "I'm sure these officers here will be glad to hear that you expect people to violate physical security policies on your behalf. Have a nice day!" :laugh:
  • Inara_Serra
    Options
    My husband opens the car door for me every single time we get in or out of our vehicle. I hold open doors for other people all the time, my husband does the same. It's not chauvinistic...it's good manners and respect.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    its not even an issue of chauvinism it's an issue of common courtesy. No one remembers the golden rule anymore.

another thought the kid just got a bad score or something and just wasn't thinking or paying attention. I'm sure I've inadvertently been rude not on purpose just because my head was a million miles away.
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Remove "woman" from just about every statement and it's not chauvinism, but common courtesy.

^^^ this exactly.

A few weeks ago, a co-worker and I were carrying heavy equipment. A young man actually said, "that looks heavy" then opened the door, walked through and let it close.

I'm not sure who was more rude, him or me calling him a d*ck hole.

d**khole. Lol