Squats bad for knees?

Options
2»

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what the issue is with your knee. I've had knee surgery twice (torn meniscus in each knee) and have bone on bone issues. The orthopedist instructed me not to do squats or lunges. So, I sort of listened to his advice. I don't do lunges and do "shallow" squats. I still do spin class, pilates, yoga, the elliptical and walk on the treadmill. :happy:

Partial squats are worse than full squats.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Assuming good squat technique.... it still totally depends on your particular injury.
    Don't think anyone would argue that keeping your leg muscles strong is important for supporting damaged knees but what your capabilities are will differ from person to person and whether squats are the right (or best) exercise for YOU isn't universal.

Squats don't suit my particular set of knee injuries although I can manage a reasonable amount of weight in leg presses but cycling has been the best exercise for me over the years for maintaining quad strength.

A professional assessment will give you a much clearer idea rather than generic advice on a forum.
  • Paula038
    Paula038 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Have a look at "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, I think you can preview the bit on squats on Amazon, if you do them properly they don't strain the knees at all. Good luck.
    [/quote]

Same story - told never to squat by orthopedic surgeon, physiotherapist and trainer, because of bad knee. 10 years later, discovered the correct technique, and started doing lots of squats. After just a couple of weeks, my knees have become noticeably stronger, and the pain I had when walking or cycling has all but disappeared. It still crackles and pops, though, but the squats do not strain it at all.
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bumping to check out more later
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options

go to youtube and search "so you think you can squat" one of the more in-depth and detailed squat tutorials I have ever seen, in many parts.

My other favorite on youtube is Elliott Hulse. His view is "That thing you CAN'T do is that which you MUST do."

I've been having right knee pain/tweeks when I squat. I noticed on my own that keeping my weight on heals and outside of foot helped reduce that problem. So, in the video "So you think you can squat" , when he said that you should keep your weight on your heals/outside, it resonated with me. I plan to keep all the things he explained in mind next time I do squats. Thanks for suggesting this video series.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I've been having right knee pain/tweeks when I squat. I noticed on my own that keeping my weight on heals and outside of foot helped reduce that problem. So, in the video "So you think you can squat" , when he said that you should keep your weight on your heals/outside, it resonated with me. I plan to keep all the things he explained in mind next time I do squats. Thanks for suggesting this video series.

I love the EliteFTS videos. They have dead-lifting and bench press tutorials as well. Their people seem to be really solid teachers.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Keep your weight in your heels, chest up, and track your knees out not in. Bad squats are bad for your knees, so don't do bad squats.:wink:
  • grammagie
    grammagie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered this also. My trainer recently started me on squatting. I have osteoarthritis in my knees..both of them..since losing some weight and becoming dedicated and loving the gym, I think they are better. I don't have the pain I used to as we are strengthening the muscles around them maybe?? I don't think arthritis can disappear and I've had cortisone shots for over ten years, but they sure feel better.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Reading mixed reviews what do you think? I have one knee that is slightly messed up from running wrong three years ago...I still do P90x weight lifting and I use the spin bike almost every day with no problem...

Nope, trying to squat too heavy is bad for already weak knees. Arthritis in the knee runs in my family and I love squatting. Best to start light and work within your own range of motion.
  • thundrks
    thundrks Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I too was having knee pain from squats. I watched a million videos but couldn't seem to get it right. I finally tried flipping a laundry basket upside down and squatting just until my butt touched the top of the basket, then back up. It keeps me from going too low which I guess was my problem because the pain in my knees quit. the pain in my hips and thighs is another story! (at least I know they're working!) Hope that you find something that helps you! :smile:
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think FuneralForMyFat, on Tumblr, shared something about squats. She said it was actually less harsh on your knees the deeper you go or something? I don't remember. My knees are bad as it is, so I'm not quite ready to start, but I'm echoing everyone else in regard to proper form. It's all in the form, just like with any exercise. If you don't do it right, it'll hurt or cause problem. Take the time to practice them. :)