Why so many calories in an apple?!

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    You don't eat the core of the apple. Cut off and weigh the portion you are going to eat, and report that weight. Alternatively, weigh the apple, eat it, and then weigh the core and subtract.
    I eat the core.

I tried doing that. I just can't stand how bitter it tastes :(
  • annabobbleuk
    annabobbleuk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've often wondered that, thinking 'oooh actually I could have a rich tea biscuit instead' but apples are easier to burn off!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    You don't eat the core of the apple. Cut off and weigh the portion you are going to eat, and report that weight. Alternatively, weigh the apple, eat it, and then weigh the core and subtract.

This.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Calories are not evil. We do not need to fear them. They are energy, nutrients and taste. They are GOOD. We just need to limit them in total.
  • magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    when I select a medium McIntosh Apple, it comes up 154 calories.

That's only if you eat the mouse, if you eat the keyboard and everything else it's in the 1000s :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    when I select a medium McIntosh Apple, it comes up 154 calories.

That's only if you eat the mouse, if you eat the keyboard and everything else it's in the 1000s :bigsmile: :laugh:

I just spit out my tea reading this... Good thing I didn't get it on my Apple.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Just eat the apple.

Unless you're Snow White. Then I would just steer clear.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    All fruits are high in natural sugars, but you have to understand that the sugar is process differently in the body that processed sugars which goes straight to the blood stream. Also, the nice thing about an apple is, you do not get all the sugar because of all the cellulose that an apple contains. The human body cannot process cellulose so you don't get everything an apple offers you.

Lol.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This is why we can't have nice things...
  • odusgolp
    Options

You've been eating apples ALL WRONG, btw. Enjoy...

http://www.foodbeast.com/2013/05/02/so-apparently-weve-been-eating-apples-all-wrong-video/
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This is why we can't have nice things...

This. So much this.

Apples? Too many calories? I can't!
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    100 calories in an apple is a bigass apple. That said, 100 calories is not a lot of food. Framing.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

You've been eating apples ALL WRONG, btw. Enjoy...

http://www.foodbeast.com/2013/05/02/so-apparently-weve-been-eating-apples-all-wrong-video/

I've only done this once. It works but... meh.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I was planning on snacking on one of the apples I just bought tomorrow, and curious as to how many calories it would be, I looked it up. My apples apparently are considered "large" instead of "medium" because each is about 7.5 ounces. Calories in one large apple with skin? 110. That seems totally ridiculous to me. Aren't fruits supposed to be low in calories? And... how come when I buy prepackaged apple slices, it's only 70 calories for 14 slices?...which is much, much more than a single apple.

So, is that a wrong calorie estimate? What do you enter in your food diary for an apple?

fruit has lots of sugar which it why you are supposed to eat them sparingly - also - pre-packaged foods only have to display their calorie content within 100 points of accurancy. Could be 70 calories - could be 170 calories.... sucks huh?
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    It depends on the apple, the size, the density, what kind of apple it is... Granny Smith apples compared to some other apples will have less calories..

Oh and also to note: Most people posting their calories/macros on their foods under or over estimate. I don't trust most sources until i've checked them myself
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    All fruits are high in natural sugars, but you have to understand that the sugar is process differently in the body that processed sugars which goes straight to the blood stream. Also, the nice thing about an apple is, you do not get all the sugar because of all the cellulose that an apple contains. The human body cannot process cellulose so you don't get everything an apple offers you.

I wish people would quit spreading this nonsense.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Who cares? It's an apple, I'd just eat it and not log it. FTW
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Y'all know this is a really old thread, right? Like 3.5 years ago...
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Y'all know this is a really old thread, right? Like 3.5 years ago...

Once again reinforcing why we can't have nice things...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    110 is kinda low... 130 calories is probably more accurate. That is still pretty low calorie though. Very nutrient dense too.