Snacks for the evening

Options
Looking for healthy snacks in the evening while winding down from the day. I crave unhealthy snacks after 7pm while watching tv with wife. If I give in, I usually kill my days numbers plus I go to bed feeling guilty.

Replies

• NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I snack on air popped popcorn, beek jerky or pickles. I'm not a sweet tooth person, and these tend to be lower calorie. I also try to drink lots of water with them to help feel full as well. I try to keep my hands occupied while watching tv. I've learned how to crochet simply to avoid snacking too much as night.

:)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I snack on air popped popcorn, beek jerky or pickles. I'm not a sweet tooth person, and these tend to be lower calorie. I also try to drink lots of water with them to help feel full as well. I try to keep my hands occupied while watching tv. I've learned how to crochet simply to avoid snacking too much as night.

:)
    All of the above.
    If you don't like your own popcorn, try the nearly naked variety of popcornopolis popcorn. Costco has it in gigantic bags and tins.
    http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100018590/popcornopolis-popcornopolis-nearly-naked-3-5-gallon-tin-reviews/reviews.htm
    On the flip side, I don't get my jerky from costco because of the added sugars and msg. But lots of folks like it.
  • shells1234
    shells1234 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    vanilla Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of cocoa and a tsp of honey the honey makes it sweeter. I love snacking on frozen blueberries. A cut up apple dipping in in nutella but you have to make sure you measure your portion I try to only do one tablespoon.
  • Theahh
    Options
    This is where I consume most of my calories as well, so I'm interested to see peoples suggestions.

So far I've been trying to eat mandarin oranges, because they're quite sweet, and I pick off every little bit of white pulp on the outside, so it makes them fairly time consuming for me to eat which prevents me from over eating.
    Sometimes. Dx
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I'm a salty crunchy snacker.

Raw green beans dipped in hummous
    http://www.ihearexercisewillkillyou.com/2010/06/split-pea-crisps.html
    Edamame in the pod
    Japanese/Korean grilled seaweed snacks from the Asian grocer
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm a popcorn-holic and one of the best I've found is Pop Secret Homestyle - according to MFP one regular bag has 140 calories.
  • roosreinartz
    Options
    I tend to go for a cut up apple with a tablespoon of peanutbutter, a rice cracker with a thin layer of peanutbutter or a mandarin orange.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I snack on celery. it's crunchy, so it tells my mouth and brain that I'm getting my nom on. sometimes, when I have calories available, I'll have almonds, too.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I like rits crackers with avocado spread on top. Baby carrots! Unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, slices of apple heated in a non-stick pan with some ginger, cloves and cinnamon on them. If you lightly coat the pan in vegetable oil it makes it very apple pie reminiscent. ANY fruit. A bit of peanut butter on celery, crackers, apples, carrots, half of an english muffin. Pickles? I like pickles. A small amount of oatmeal with cocoa powder and peanut butter-Or diced apples and cinnamon-Or cocoa powder and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I gotta get some discipline back and start making jello again.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    banana
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Apples and greek yogurt were once my go-to late night snack, but I have since started eating red bell peppers.
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    Red bell peppers raw? Not sure if I could do that. Usually eat them stir fried but I'll try it.
  • skyegsd
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth so I also cut up an apple and eat it with a tablespoon of peanut butter. It fills me up and instantly satisfies my sweet craving. I am also a huge coffee/tea drinker, in the evenings I make a pot of decaf or a cup of tea and it helps fill me up.
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I snack on pomegranate seeds as if they were popcorn :smile: They are very good for you and it takes a while to eat them. I have a market that offers them seeded; pricey but worth it. I also am happy with sugar free Jello at 10 cal/serving. There are quite a few "skinny" frozen treats out there that are supposed to be tasty--I don't crave ice cream-y things currently, so I haven't tried them.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Those skinny cow ice cream sandwiches are great..but they are only about 20 cals off of a regular ice cream sandwich if I remember correctly. I buy the skinny cow for me and reg for my kids..and looked at the cal difference was like hmmm..although both are delicious! And honestly I think you get more skinny cow than the regular...LOL You'd have to check it out and see for yourself..may be different with different brands.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Red bell peppers raw? Not sure if I could do that. Usually eat them stir fried but I'll try it.

They have a natural sweetness to them unlike the green ones. Very yummy!!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes are awesome!
  • Zandranna
    Zandranna Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As I have a really sweet tooth and miss my chocolate and biscuits something chronic, I go for sweet white grapes.
  • CitronAtomique
    CitronAtomique Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For myself i looooove salty stuff!!

Heres my snack:

Air popcorn ( with garlic salt\paprika)
    Kale chips ( Kale baked in oven with a bit of olive oil and garlic salt!)
    Pickles!
    Cauliflower popcorn
    Guacamole (if you have some calories left)

Good Luck \(^.^)/