Bariatric surgery... to do or not to do?

Options

Replies

• bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You have to do what works for you.

That being said, I would NEVER have surgery done - I used to work in the medical field , and I've seen things go wrong more than once. Doctors wouldn't be putting on seminars if it wasn't a money-maker for them.

It can be done without surgery - its just gonna take time, persistence, and discipline. It took 3 years for me to drop 200. We were joking yesterday at a men's breakfast that I went from not being able to fit in a Santa suit (too big) to not being able to fit in a Santa suit (too thin). See the pics in my profile for proof.

If you want to discuss further, PM me.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If you wish to put your money towards something, get a dietitian or nutritionist to help you out and keep you accountable. They will show you how to read food labels and what to watch out for and so forth, that is were my journey started and I am glad I went to one for a month to just figure out what I needed to start this journey all on my own :) and my ticker shows the proof.

I was told by everyone around me ( minus my husband and his family) that I would need surgery to stick to my lifestyle change and to lose weight and I have nothing done to me and I am happier I am doing it this way!! Teaches me responsibility :)

The only problem I have with many dieticians is that many of them counsel seriously obese people to go low-fat and high carb. Granted, going very low fat will take weight off, but it exacerbates obesity-causing blood sugar issues (and yes, ALL obese folk have blood sugar issues whether they are diabetic or not). Since the advent of the growth of the amount of sugar in Western diets, blood sugar levels have climbed and continue to climb. What are considered "normal" blood sugar levels now would have been considered elevated in the 1920s when they first began to measure those levels routinely. The rise in the prevalence of obesity perfectly tracks the rise in sugar consumption. Look at the labels of "low fat/no fat" food--sugar is almost always added to make up for the lack of flavor that taking the fat out causes. By the way, you need AT LEAST 45 grams of fat per day just to stay healthy. I once had a dietician tell me that anything over 25 grams of fat per day was "unhealthy"!
  • mikkey
    mikkey Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As a physician, I've seen a lot of things that go wrong with these patients. That said, I've also seen a lot of people who do well. There are many options, from the traditional Roux-en-Y to the more temporary Lap-Band to the hot new gastric sleeve. Some the initial questions you should consider are: how much weight do you have to lose? Is it enough that you are willing to live with an altered anatomy and in a malnutritive state? are you willing to give up your favorite foods? are you willing to eat very little? are you willing to put up with the potential side effects, including pain, nausea, and scars, which could lead to bowel obstruction and other issues of the sort? This decision remains your own, but be aware that if you choose this path, it will be a long and potentially painful course. Surgery is not the preferred solution, but if you have severe comorbidities such as diabetes and high blood pressure, this may be a good option.
    Good luck!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You can spend thousands of dollars getting the surgery just to eat less, and having to completely cut out some foods due to your body not able to digest (you get used to throwing up a lot, ive seen it firsthand with a friend of mine.....you like oranges? Forget about those guys) or you can use mfp as your tool, and its free.

The surgery only makes you lose weight, it doesnt attck the reason why you are obese in the first place. You can control one addiction with a surgery, but often addicts turn to another bad habit. Or often, people just eat themselves back to the size they were. People think the surger is easy, you just gomin, get snipped andnthen you lose weight.

Before the surgery, you have to go on a special diet for a bit, and then after you are supposed to work out and eat a special diet. So basically you are paying all that money just to do what you are supposed to be doing anyways to lose weight.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery 16 years ago. While I lost significant weight initially, I never lost it all and over the years I gained most of it back. It is possible to still consume excess calories even if you have limited capacity. I am fortunate because I have had very few of the negative side effects. But overall I was disappointed. I really thought surgery was going to help me succeed where I'd failed before. When I gain the weight back after surgery I felt even worse about myself then I did before surgery. In the intervening years, I've met many people who had experiences similar to mine

I stared using MFP in October, and to be honest I've lost almost as rapidly using MFP as I did post-surgery. It is the lifestyle changes of eating the right amount of the right foods and exercise that are helping me to lose weight this time.

I strongly suggest 3 to 6 months of rigorously tracking your food intake and increasing your exercise levels before considering surgery. If you can lose weight without the surgery, then you will be able to save yourself some money, and avoid the risks and side effects associated with surgery. If you decide to go ahead with surgery at that point, you will have a head start on the lifestyle changes that you will need to make post surgery.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    As a physician, I've seen a lot of things that go wrong with these patients. That said, I've also seen a lot of people who do well. There are many options, from the traditional Roux-en-Y to the more temporary Lap-Band to the hot new gastric sleeve. Some the initial questions you should consider are: how much weight do you have to lose? Is it enough that you are willing to live with an altered anatomy and in a malnutritive state? are you willing to give up your favorite foods? are you willing to eat very little? are you willing to put up with the potential side effects, including pain, nausea, and scars, which could lead to bowel obstruction and other issues of the sort? This decision remains your own, but be aware that if you choose this path, it will be a long and potentially painful course. Surgery is not the preferred solution, but if you have severe comorbidities such as diabetes and high blood pressure, this may be a good option.
    Good luck!

The best option is to get added sugar out of the diet. It is addictive and obesity is the result but obesity is just part of the trouble that sugar causes. Research done by the team of Richard J. Johnson (head of the renal division at the medical center at the University of Colorado) has pretty well proved that it is sugar (and specifically the fructose portion of it--sucrose, i.e. table sugar is 50% fructose) that causes metabolic syndrome--high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. They discovered, somewhat by accident, that they could cause 60% of normal weight males to develop metabolic syndrome in TWO WEEKS when they gave them a special daily high fructose drink to drink, in addition to their meals. Dr. Johnson has been given an NIH grant to study the epidemic of renal disease and failure among sugar cane workers in central America. What he expects to find, as the base of the problem, is their habit of drinking lots of soft drinks and sugar-sweetened fruit juice, during their long days in the very hot sugar cane fields. Uric acid levels rise dangerously high under the condition of excessive fructose and dehydration. It apparently blows out their kidneys.
  • MarkDpy1966
    Options
    I have a friend in New York that weighed over 500 pounds. Had the surgery that makes the stomach smaller, and has lost two hundred pounds in 6 months. Lost so much weight that he has started P90x fitness program. His next one will be Insane training program.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My opinion is try it on your own. If you see you are struggling then you may need the help. But keep in mind the struggles are what teaches you to be stronger and not give in to food for the comfort factor instead of the I'm eating to stay alive and healthy factor. You must eat to stay alive, but most of us who struggle with being over weight eat for other reasons. I also agree with the carbs. Stop eating complex carbs, rice, pasta, breads, flours. And enjoy the good carbs, fruits and veggies. Stay away from as much processed foods as you can. I can now bake sweets and goodies without eating the whole batch of what I make. I have a couple treats but mostly bake to give away to others. Weigh your food and be precise, log everyday, every bite. Good Luck
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it's your choice and nobody here can or should tell you what to do.

I wouldn't do the surgery, and certainly not before I got *very* serious with my weight loss attempt. Being obese is risky; surgery is risky. It *is* possible to lose weight without the surgery- browse through the success stories here and you will see. I suppose it is possible to lose and keep the weight off with surgery - the half dozen or so people I kniw IRL who have had surgery have not been successful- almost all have never list the full amount and have gained back most or all of the weight. That is not to say it's not possible but I would strongly think about the risks associated with it.

Take a year and start losing - but be honest and be serious. Log everything, use a food scale, exercise. Come here for support. See what happens.
  • Tbone0813
    Options
    I like the fact that you are giving yourself 3 months of true dieting. Don't cheat yourself though just so you can end up having the surgery. If you have already made up your mind then go ahead and do it. I know several people who had the surgery and are doing great and I know someone who died on the table during the surgery. All surgeries are risky and come with possible complications. Save the $10,000+ to reward yourself after you hit your goal wait. I was up to 330lbs and had several meetings with surgeons who told me that I really needed the surgery. I decided to try dieting with MFP and I am now down 115lbs and feel great. When you work hard it is super rewarding. Good luck with what ever your decision is. You have a great support group here.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hey do what you need to do. I was going to do it then my BMI fell under what is required for my insurance company. (Ahhh the downfalls of being a tall woman!)

I say if it feels right to you and you're prepared to make the lifestyle changes it will require...then by all means....do what feels best for you. I have a few people telling me not to do it as well and I just kindly reminded them it was my decision and I had to look out for my health, whatever that took.

All the best.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have met too many people (through a previous job in social work) who had SERIOUS complications from various weight loss surgeries. No way. I would try everything else first.

Obviously I'm not a doc but I seriously think it should be a last resort for people over 400 lb. JMHO.
  • kathyflannery129
    kathyflannery129 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from...9 months ago my doctor recommended that I have gastric surgery.....I was "morbidly obese"(damn that is a gross term) had 5 cardiac stents placed and on 100 unit of insulin a day....I looked into it, watched the videos etc......and decided that I couldn't do it.....I wasn't going to be able to blend my food for weeks etc....so i began this journey to educate myself on healthy eating, portion control and begin an exercise routine.....I have since dropped 75 pounds, decreased my insulin in 25 unit a day(hoping to get off it soon) and just did my first 7 K race with my son on Thanksgiving day......and I should tell you I will turn 65 in January. It is never too late to get yourself healthy and happy...No matter how you do it you will have to re-think how you eat and how you live....for me the easiest way was this one...and it has become a lifestyle that I live every day and not a diet.....diets don't work except for short term, you have to commit to this long term.....please for the sake of yourself and your family do something so you can live long and enjoy yourself and them......
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The amount of FUD and misinformation that gets spread on MyFitnessPal every time bariatric surgery is brought up is truly astounding... Seems everyone here knows a friend of a friend's uncle's friend's father's second-cousin-twice-removed who had surgery and nearly died. Well, having had surgery myself, having four close relatives who've all had surgery and been successful with it, and having volunteered at the weight loss center where I got my procedure done and talking and interacting with literally hundreds of patients in all stages of the process, I can tell you that complications do happen, but they're few and far between. Furthermore, if you actually talk to the people having those complications they'll tell you that it's a small price to pay for being healthier overall and that they'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Now, surgery itself is no magic bullet. The data shows surgery patients lose only about 50% of their excess bodyweight on average, in the long term. The surgery will only give you about one year of hardcore caloric restriction before your body adapts (the so-called "honeymoon period.") After that, you're pretty much on your own (that's when all the stories of weight gain after surgery happen.) This is what people mean when they say that "surgery is just a tool," you still have to do the hard work of eating right and exercising — before surgery, during your honeymoon period and for the rest of your life. Surgery just makes it possible for you to make those changes and stick with them long enough for them to become habit, but it's ultimately up to you to stick with them.

So go to your doctor, give it an honest shot at losing on your own and, if you end up deciding that surgery is for you, have realistic expectations. Good luck!
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Great decision. I had thought about it, went to a few seminars and talked to relatives who had it. I work in the health field coding medical records, saw enough to convince myself to do it my way, found MFP and the rest is history. If you are serious and take the time to weigh & measure what you eat, you can do it.

Wow, 116 lbs. That's amazing! Keep up the great work! Very inspirational :)
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My wife had it in 1999. She was about a week from death last winter due to long term malnutrition. Most of her internal organs shut down. She had a partial reverse surgery in the spring and now she's ok.
  • cheyennefoeller
    cheyennefoeller Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's great that your trying to handle it on your own; just remember that the gastric sleeve while it has had some good results in aiding people in losing weight it's not a cure. It's not a quick fix you can easily fall back into old habits and ruin not only your progress but also your surgery. Also you will not be able to eat a proper meal after that surgery. There are also dangers sometimes after the stomach has been stapled off it either doesn't hold or it leeks causing problems for the rest of your body. I'd say listen to your wife and kids some risks just aren't worth taking.
  • cjone782000
    cjone782000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. LOL. Only because of the small chance of dying. I lost 50 pounds in 2 months pre op. If you have a strong will power then go for it. I ate a high protein/low carb diet. around 1200 - 1400 cals a day and walked 2 to 4 miles a day. I had gastric bypass surgery done on 12/4/13 and so far I feel good, I'm not in any pain. Just discomfort. I was thinking if I can do 50 pounds in 2 months should I even bother with surgery. It's my life story up and down. Now I get a chance to start over and not stretch my pouch. Good luck in whatever you choose.
  • lizliz518
    Options
    My sister and my step mom both had this done a week apart from each other. My sister had some complications and had to stay in the hospital longer that just 1 night. My step mom had no issues. If you do decide to do this it is a hard transition from eating solids to liquids. They have both been post op for a few months and look great. Another thing if you eat to much at all you will have vomiting issues. Please discuss this with your family as it will not just affect you but them also.
  • fitnessMommy68
    fitnessMommy68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bariatric surgery is very dangerous. Weight loss is mental and you will find lots of support on this web site. 3 out of 4 bariatric patients die of complications. I spoke with a very trusted physician who used to do the surgery and he told me the sad story of a woman who initially lost weight but began to gain again too soon. She was eating mayonaise among other things. She died of complications. He quit and started a clinic for weight loss. We are more than our stomachs. Good luck on your journey. Saying a prayer for you now. Sounds like your family cares for you greatly. Use them for support. You can do it!!!! This is not a diet; This is a lifestyle change that will bring you more joy than any donut or chicken wing:wink: