7 months in only lost 34.4lbs, ultimate goal is 115lbs lost

Options

Replies

• rachelrrl
    rachelrrl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Are you using a Digital Scale? Start measuring and logging every last bite. The reason you have lost no weight is because you are probably eating at maintenance

I need to get a food scale, it's on my list but money is always so tight. I was thinking that myself about the calories I was consuming, I've lowered it and will be eating at around 1800 to see how that goes. Thanks for your help.

I work in advertising so i always thought i would be good at eyeballing my portions. It was after i got a digital scale that i found out i had been going over by around 200 cals for 3 months straight. Food scales are very cheap and a very important weight loss tool imo!

whoops. I put my reply in a weird area, sorry, snuggling with my cat.

I agree, I know how easy it can be to underestimate your calories when you truly don't know, I'm sure I definitely engage in it. I definitely will make a food scale a priority next time I get paid.
  • Gustavalos
    Options
    That's really good! Always plan your meals the day before and try your absolute best to follow them! Once again, good luck and hopefully you accomplish your goal! :)
  • Gustavalos
    Options
    Maaan, send me one! :P
  • mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 34 pounds lost! That's better than nothing. I know it gets frustrating but you are on the right track!
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    Congrats on the 34 pounds lost! That's better than nothing. I know it gets frustrating but you are on the right track!

Thank you, I'm so proud of my progress I just want it to continue!
  • rachelrrl
    Options

Haha, I know, it was really hard to say no.
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options

You've lost 70lbs without a scale?
  • rachelrrl
    Options

You've lost 70lbs without a scale?

For future reference, is there one you would recommend?
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It's a little pricey at $50 but the best one - no contest - is the OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Scale. The Sweethome did a feature explaining why.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-digital-kitchen-scale/
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    It's a little pricey at $50 but the best one - no contest - is the OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Scale. The Sweethome did a feature explaining why.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-digital-kitchen-scale/

Thank you, I'll read up on it and I added it to my amazon wishlist.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    exercise to aid weight loss
    and calories for weight loss
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I found a super cheap scale on amazon, I think it was like 10-15 bucks. It has been such a big help! Some things I was overestimating on(mainly the things already high in calories OF COURSE lol) but I also found I was underestimating on lots of things as well, like protein-filled foods... go figure :huh:

I think just cutting it back a little, like you said, to about 1800-1850 would definitely work. You don't want to lose it too fast, and honestly, 35 pounds in 7 months is pretty darn good. Even if you don't make goal by your wedding, you will definitely be smaller and healthier no matter what if you stick to this! Just remember, any progress in the right direction is a MAJOR WIN!
  • jdctrumpet
    jdctrumpet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    At 1.5 lbs/week, you're actually not too far from where you would be if weight loss was linear. 1.5 lbs/week is essentially 6 pounds a month, which for 7 months would be 42 lbs...so 34 lbs is still excellent.

My girlfriend and I usually eat the same things for breakfast and lunch every day (so long as we wake up on time and get a proper breakfast), but we change dinner up. We will plan our dinners for the entire week before we go grocery shopping and we stick to that list, which helps with eliminating impulse buys and saving money. Because of this, buying that extra protein (chicken, pork, ground turkey, etc) doesn't seem like such a huge hit to the wallet in the end. Planning is the real key, so if you can do that and stick to your plan, you should continue to enjoy your successes.
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    exercise to aid weight loss
    and calories for weight loss

gotcha, thanks.
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    I found a super cheap scale on amazon, I think it was like 10-15 bucks. It has been such a big help! Some things I was overestimating on(mainly the things already high in calories OF COURSE lol) but I also found I was underestimating on lots of things as well, like protein-filled foods... go figure :huh:

I think just cutting it back a little, like you said, to about 1800-1850 would definitely work. You don't want to lose it too fast, and honestly, 35 pounds in 7 months is pretty darn good. Even if you don't make goal by your wedding, you will definitely be smaller and healthier no matter what if you stick to this! Just remember, any progress in the right direction is a MAJOR WIN!

I've had one on my amazon wishlist for awhile I just keep putting off buying one, next week I'll make it my first priority.

1800-1850 is what I'm switching to and thank you, sometimes it feels too slow but I know it's good nonetheless. This is very true and I definitely feel a lot better than I did before so good news all around. You're so right and thank you.
  • rachelrrl
    Options
    At 1.5 lbs/week, you're actually not too far from where you would be if weight loss was linear. 1.5 lbs/week is essentially 6 pounds a month, which for 7 months would be 42 lbs...so 34 lbs is still excellent.

My girlfriend and I usually eat the same things for breakfast and lunch every day (so long as we wake up on time and get a proper breakfast), but we change dinner up. We will plan our dinners for the entire week before we go grocery shopping and we stick to that list, which helps with eliminating impulse buys and saving money. Because of this, buying that extra protein (chicken, pork, ground turkey, etc) doesn't seem like such a huge hit to the wallet in the end. Planning is the real key, so if you can do that and stick to your plan, you should continue to enjoy your successes.

I think I'd be more satisfied if I was at the 42lbs, maybe I'm just never satisfied haha.

I can't do that, I wish I could but I get really bored with monotony in food (well, everything). I've tried making lists for what I'll make during the week and half of the time I don't end up doing it. I'll try doing some more planning though. Thanks for your tips and response.
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Kitchen-Capacity-Elegant/dp/B002IR6OP8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386444594&sr=8-2&keywords=kitchen+scales+digital+grams+and+pounds

Please consider this handy little scale for only $16, I use mine several times a day. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Seriously a scale is like $20. I'm sure u spend more than that each week on useless things. If u are serious about figuring out weight loss u will find the $20. ???? Sorry somebody had to say it.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hun give it time.
    I ate my recommended cals (started at 1900 at 291lbs/5'9.5") and I've been consistently losing.

I do HAVE to eat to lose; I will certainly stall if I eat too few cals but I also maintain when I eat at recommended and dont get around to moving as much as I should.

If you're working the program and truly eating majority healthy options, it'll shed.