Couch to 5K

Options
Hey there - I'm thinking about doing the Couch to 5K training program. Does anyone have any experience with it? Want to buddy up and do it with me? Give me an add...I'm new here and looking for MFP buddies. Hope everyone's Monday is going well!

Replies

• Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I started in March, got to week 5 and then graduated early. I've now got my first 10K race in 6 days.
    Super addictive, fantastic for your confidence and there's always another target for you to set.
  • LeeAnn2healthy
    LeeAnn2healthy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi....I was wanting to give that a shot too....will have to do this on my treadmill as we are experiencing the good old winter blizzard here in Alberta...but definitely interested in giving this a shot.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Great program for beginners. I started with it last March, quickly went to C10K, and completed my first half marathon just a few weeks ago. Keep at it and it can do wonders for your running ability, cardiovascular health and weight loss goals.
  • hadirk
    hadirk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Im planning to start the Couch to 5k too
  • Gilligans_Eyes
    Options
    Great! Congratulations on your success, Catlady87 & TaxEsquire!!
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Graduate here (and actually kept the 10 min/mile pace they recommend). C25K is a great program for beginners. Don't hesitate to repeat weeks (I did this several times to get my pace to where I wanted it) and go slower if needed. I've completed several 5Ks at this point and am going to start training for my first half in May soon. Good luck! You can do it!
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have nothing but praise for it. I literally went from Couch to 5k. Before I started I couldn't run a half mile let alone 3.1. Finished up my training two weeks before Thanksgiving and ran my first 5k Thanksgiving day. Now I run at least 3 miles 3x a week.
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am on my last 2nd last day of C25K and I LOVE it. I was never really a runner before and never thought that I would be. It is very addicting and I do plan on doing C10K in February. I could never picture myself running even 1 mile before I started... and now it's a breeze.
    I would def recommend it :)

Feel free to give me an add if you want!
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I started it last week! Feel free to add me ;)
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I did it in the summer of 2012. I did Carli's c25k which is a free podcast that you can load. She made a playlist with cues for every run. I usually run anywhere from 3 miles up to 8 miles now. Just keep at it. Consistency pays when it comes to running (or any other fitness goal really!). Do the program as it is laid out. Never two days back to back. Don't do more because you feel like you can on a certain day. It's designed for success so follow it to a T. If you need to repeat a run though as your next one, feel free to do so!
  • m_johannes
    m_johannes Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! Working on week 5 workout 3 here! I literally struggled with running even the initial 60 seconds back in the day, now I love running. Even when I'm not focused on a particular C25K workout, I regularly jog a full mile without difficulty. I swear by the C25K program and recommend it to EVERYBODY!

Also, all you wonderful runners, feel free to add me!
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've started it 3 times but haven't finished it yet - I typically switched to riding road bike around week 5. However, I am no longer riding the road bike and want to start - and finish - the C25k.

So hell yeah..i'm starting again...and would love to go through the weeks with a few others here. Friend me if you feel inclined.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love C25K - I completed it a few months ago and have been doing the later weeks at faster speeds since then (when I started, I did 3.0/4.5 intervals to all 4.5, now Im do 3.8/6.0 intervals to all 6.0) and am going for 10k next! It really is a great way to get yourself running. Have fun, and don't worry if you find yourself wanting to repeat days before moving onto the next one.
  • nicolawinehouse
    nicolawinehouse Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love C25K, it improved my fitness SO much it was unbelievable. It's hard in the beginning but really does get better. Go for it, you'll love it :)
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out this group dedicated to that program:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

Lots of useful stuff in there.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    C25K is an awesome place to start running. I graduated 14 months ago. Now I regularly run a 10k every morning 5 days a week. Some days I go out for a 8 - 10 mile run. I have completed two 1/2 marathon distances since finishing C25K.
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's an amazing program that took me further than I expected to go. I ended up in a marathon a year back. I want to do another!
  • StarFit4Life
    StarFit4Life Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    fixing to start also...feel free to add me as well :smile: (added wrong smiley, made message look creepy! lol)
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I started it a month ago and have ended up really liking it, though sometimes I only run twice a week so it might take me slightly longer than 8 weeks to finish. But I can tell you that a month ago there was no way I could've run for 16 minutes, which I've now done twice in the past week - it really does work!
  • vturner88
    Options
    This is something I was thinking about trying too, but could definitely use some encouragement. :) Please let us know when you do decide to start.