Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Saccharides ftw.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I understand you, because I'm the same way... I just love sweets. But I also know that when they're not around, I don't want to eat them. So I don't keep any sweets at home, and when they're not available, I don't think about them. Then when I have some, I can't stop thinking about them. So I don't buy any.

You can switch to lower-cal stuff, for example low-fat frozen yogurt, low fat chocolate, also you can cheat with stuff like pour a tablespoon of honey on cereal etc.

I read a very interesting article about honey - it said that if you drink a cup of hot water with 2 tablespoons of honey mixed in before bedtime, it'll help you manage the sweet cravings during the day? Of course, like many things, it won't work for everyone, but may be worth a try? Just don't make boiling water cause it kills all the goodness in honey - boil water then fill half cup and top up with cold water, then put the honey in.

There are always options, you can still eat sweet, but smart :)

Why low fat? Dietary fat is satisfying and necessary.

Agreed! Plus, foods that are listed as low fat generally have either more sodium or more sugar in it so it won't lose it's taste.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    So you eat zero carb, or just don't know what sugar is?

It is fairly obvious they mean they no longer eat refined sugars. :angry:
  • wheird
    Options
    :happy: A different perspective:

I stopped eating sugar.

Now I don't crave anything. :happy:

No need to lie to everyone...

I really don't crave all that sugary crap any more - no lies. It's really easy to say no. I used to fantasise about gorging myself on cakes and ice cream and chocolate and puddings. I used to actually hunt for my next sugary hit. For me it is a drug I'd rather not have in my life. I have taken back control of my food which I see as fuel now - I love it!

I don't miss the sugar and everyone who knows me has noticed all the positive side effects that has had in me, less moody, less insomnia, much easier pmt, more money in my pocket, clear skin, more energy........

You used to have an ED, eat emotionally, and take raspberry ketones. You just have an overall negative relationship with food.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Oh so they were only addicted to refined sugars? Good thing there is plenty of evidence of that in humans.

Perhaps you can enlighten us if the below is evil refined sucrose from a sugar packet or sucrose from an apple?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhvYD4Gox_tXZBWsVL_bS1KPWaHaLWKh4Mw4LICh7chdE3P8Ukug
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options

I stopped eating sugar.

I really don't crave all that sugary crap any more - no lies. It's really easy to say no. I used to fantasise about gorging myself on cakes and ice cream and chocolate and puddings. I used to actually hunt for my next sugary hit. For me it is a drug I'd rather not have in my life. I have taken back control of my food which I see as fuel now - I love it!

I don't miss the sugar and everyone who knows me has noticed all the positive side effects that has had in me, less moody, less insomnia, much easier pmt, more money in my pocket, clear skin, more energy........

No dear boy, I don't eat refined sugar, stop being a troll looking for an argument. Be tolerant and understand that for some people eliminating processed sugar JUST WORKS. Yes I eat a little fruit occasionally, but rarely, yes I eat very dark chocolate made with xylitol occasionally for the health benefits of cocoa but I USUALLY choose food like meat, fish, eggs and veggies.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I have ice cream every day, while meeting my nutritional and calories goals, and have lost 125lbs. You really don't have to be miserable or deprive yourself to lose weight.

tumblr_m1vduqd0DC1qfntolo1_500_zps92279efe.gif
  • wheird
    Options

I stopped eating sugar.

No dear boy, I don't eat refined sugar, stop being a troll looking for an argument. Be tolerant and understand that for some people eliminating processed sugar JUST WORKS. Yes I eat a little fruit occasionally, but rarely, yes I eat very dark chocolate made with xylitol occasionally for the health benefits of cocoa but I USUALLY choose food like meat, fish, eggs and veggies.

I dont thinj you understand what a troll is.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Oh so they were only addicted to refined sugars? Good thing there is plenty of evidence of that in humans.

Perhaps you can enlighten us if the below is evil refined sucrose from a sugar packet or sucrose from an apple?

Surely the delivery method matters?

I don't know if sugar addiction is real or not but for me personally severely restricting it felt exactly like quitting cigarettes. It's much easier for me to avoid sugar on a daily basis (and eat a low carb diet) so I don't even have to think about it -- if I don't eat it, I don't want it. I save the sugary treats and the like for a once in awhile indulgence/special occasions and then I'm prepared to exert my willpower to resist the cravings I'm almost guaranteed to experience afterwards. So far, so good.

Best wishes figuring out what works for you, OP. :smile:
  • Acg67
    Options

I stopped eating sugar.

Phew good thing refined sugar is sooooo much different than processed sugar. And got it, calling someone on their lies is being a troll
  • Acg67
    Options

I don't know if sugar addiction is real or not but for me personally severely restricting it felt exactly like quitting cigarettes. It's much easier for me to avoid sugar on a daily basis (and eat a low carb diet) so I don't even have to think about it -- if I don't eat it, I don't want it. I save the sugary treats and the like for a once in awhile indulgence/special occasions and then I'm prepared to exert my willpower to resist the cravings I'm almost guaranteed to experience afterwards. So far, so good.

Are you talking about that fruit sugar is usually paired with fiber, thus slowing rise in blood glucose? If so, what say you about frosted mini wheats
  • Guinivere
    Options

I stopped eating sugar.

I thought a troll was someone being provocative just to get a reaction.

Are his comments helpful to the OP? I'm not sure they are, I just offered a different perspective as I have found success controlling binges and craving, my post was supportive and helpful. The man who obviously lives on this forum given he's posted over 9,000 times but who can't be bothered to fill out his diary as an example of a diary that works for him so others might learn from his example. Just because he's got a buff body does not make him an expert particularly on what works for my body or lifestyle.
  • Guinivere
    Options
    I have ice cream every day, while meeting my nutritional and calories goals, and have lost 125lbs. You really don't have to be miserable or deprive yourself to lose weight.

I am neither miserable or feel deprived, I am very happy indeed!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I stopped eating sugar.

I thought a troll was someone being provocative just to get a reaction.

Are his comments helpful to the OP? I'm not sure they are, I just offered a different perspective as I have found success controlling binges and craving, my post was supportive and helpful. The man who obviously lives on this forum given he's posted over 9,000 times but who can't be bothered to fill out his diary as an example of a diary that works for him so others might learn from his example. Just because he's got a buff body does not make him an expert particularly on what works for my body or lifestyle.

IN...
    Just to say that I'd listen to a guy with a buff body over a kitty picture any day of the week.
  • kodimoore
    kodimoore Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    IM ALSO TOTALLY ADDICTED TO SUGAR!!! I allow my self 1 skinny cow dessert ONLY AFTER ive been to the gym and done an hour of cardio. its a 100-110 calorie LOW SUGAR..1 gram TREAT for me...or reward.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Are you talking about that fruit sugar is usually paired with fiber, thus slowing rise in blood glucose? If so, what say you about frosted mini wheats
    That you might as well be eating straight sugar? From my experience there's little difference between the two -- they'd certainly induce sugar cravings. Fruit does as well if I eat enough of it but not to the same degree. Given that, I'd say the way your body breaks down whole foods is different than eating a something with fiber added to it? I don't know.

But what I do know is that people with uncontrollable cravings aren't making that **** up and no matter how many times you come into a thread and belittle or downplay their struggles doesn't change that. Since you know all of the answers why don't you take the time to explain to us what actually is happening if it's not a "sugar addiction"?
  • Acg67
    Options
    Just for fun

The plausibility of sugar addiction and its role in obesity and eating disorders. Clinical Nutrition - June 2010 (Vol. 29, Issue 3, Pages 288-303, DOI: 10.1016/j.clnu.2009.12.001)

http://www.clinicalnutritionjournal.com/article/S0261-5614(09)00239-8/fulltext
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

My comment was for the OP, who clearly loves ice cream and is likely to feel deprived if she feels forced to eliminate it.
  • Guinivere
    Options
    Just for fun

The plausibility of sugar addiction and its role in obesity and eating disorders. Clinical Nutrition - June 2010 (Vol. 29, Issue 3, Pages 288-303, DOI: 10.1016/j.clnu.2009.12.001)

http://www.clinicalnutritionjournal.com/article/S0261-5614(09)00239-8/fulltext

Yeah, I wasn't part of that study, so their findings are irrelevant to me. My physiology is unique to me.
  • Guinivere
    Options

My comment was for the OP, who clearly loves ice cream and is likely to feel deprived if she feels forced to eliminate it.

I know but the OP might not feel deprived or miserable. I used to love ice cream too!