Beginner runners group

Options
2»

Replies

• gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am stuck in a rut though. I would like to improve my time, but I am not sure how to achieve that goal. Any suggestions?!?! I also would like to one day run a 10K with him.

A good way to improve your pace is through running intervals once a week, or twice every 10 days (no more often).

1. Do an easy jog to warm up, say 1/2 mile or a mile. Stop and stretch.

2. Run at a top speed sprint 200 meters. Walk back those 200 meters.

3. Repeat step 2. Your goal is to do 12 of these. (I was able to do only 4 when I started, now I do 7).

4. When you can do 12, move to 400 meters, aiming for the same pattern 12x400 with a cool down walk each time.

5. Final goal is 12x800, each time walking (or an easy jog) back. The point is to push your heart rate, and force your body to run anaerobically further and further. This will do two things: lengthen your stride, and increase your pace.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    I started running last summer, and I was able to bust my butt enough to get down to a 9 minute mile, but once it started getting cold out, I stopped. Not a good decision on my part, I had to start all over again this summer. I was inspired to run again because I was sick of getting winded just going up a flight of stairs. So, I started with C25K and even though I haven't been making much progress lately, I can still run about a 12 minute mile. It's not much, but it's a huge improvement. I want to be able to run a 5K at least next fall.
  • tyb03
    tyb03 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think your post is misleading. I was expecting to scroll through and find hope and inspiration to better enable myself to be a runner, but you're already an avid one. I'm what you would LITERALLY call a beginner runner. I can run 3 minutes before needing to slow down to a brisk walk. I just switch it up back and forth. I get SO out of breath. That's the kind of advice I'm seeking.
  • keltoi93
    keltoi93 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've only started running in the last 2 months as a start to my gym session. Originally I started doing a 2k run, upped it to 2.5k, 3 and now 5k. I vary my speed depending on when Im tired but usually do 5k in around 32 minutes. Im aiming to get it under 30 soon but want to do a 10k run in 2013. I've never done running outside of the gym but I'd imagine it's tougher so I wanna make sure I can run 12k in the gym before attempting a 10k run.
  • kjlove79
    kjlove79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to try the interval training. :) Thanks!
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't want to thread jac, but I have a question about getting started running. I have made a couple tries in the past, but every time I start to run I get a horrible head ache. I mean a "i am going to throw up from the pain" kind of head ache that starts after only a minute or so of running. It feels like my spine is trying to shove itself up through my brain and out the top of my skull! Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?
  • mikeod2712
    mikeod2712 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    hello I just started running last week was doing a lot of walking. I am signed up for a 5k on January the 26th so from now till then im trying to be able to run the whole time. right now I can only run one min and walk two. wish me luck
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have started to train for a 10k in May. I'm excited and scared at the same time. How is your training going?