Fit girl problems/ gym stories

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    A young guy called me ma'am and lived to tell.

you would hear it all the time if you were around me. :wink:

Awww haaaaaayyyyl naw...
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    One of the very rare moments I was in a gym, I saw a guy with two very attractive girls throwing a medicine ball around. He was giving them pointers and advice on fitness. I guess they didn't know any themselves.

Well, I heard him tell them that the muscles in your back are the most important and the strongest in your body. You are supposed to lift with your back, and you need to focus on it when working out, because they are the muscles that support your spine.

I just shook my head and walked away.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Awww haaaaaayyyyl naw...

mom tried to raise me with manners... :wink:
    So it does come through at times.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I already put this on my wall but I though I share here to get some funny stories

So today, some guy asked me if I wanted help when I was setting up the bar for deadlifts (granted I probably looked a little funny cause we got a new platform with a super gripping floor and new plates that handle very differently to the old ones)
    I said: no thanks I'm alright but I thought: what do you think I'm going to do with this bar once I'm done? Sit on it while I'm doing my nails?
    I know he probably just wanted to be nice but that was insulting!

Also one of the guys that's always there at this time and knows me looked very amused, might well be because of my expression when the guy offered me to help...

So what are funny stories that happened to you in the gym? Anyone ever insulted you by accident?

So you're visibly struggling loading the bar. Some guy offers to help and you're INSULTED? Oh please!

I know that seems crazy to a guy, and it's not entirely rational...but sometimes, as a strong woman, it can feel like an insult when a man offers to help with a physical task. Any time a man used to offer to help me carry something heavy I'd think to myself "what, you think I'm not strong enough to do it myself?!" I eventually got over that as I got older and realized they were genuinely just trying to be helpful and polite...even if that politeness comes from years of being conditioned to think that men are more capable of lifting heavy things (which, often, they are). Truth is, if it was another guy setting up instead of a woman, the help would less likely have been offered.

I also think you were being a bit touchy about it. I don't think I look like I lift, and new guys in the gym kinda give me an odd look sometimes when they see me in the weight area. Occasionally they will offer to help me, but I just smile and say "nah...don't worry about it, I got it"

a few months ago I helped the fitness attendant demonstrate the back extension machine for another gym member ( Ron had tweaked his back and couldn't do it himself). I got on and it was set for 130lbs. he saw it and advised me to "drop the weight a little". I just smiled and said " nope, it's fine" and proceeded to knock out 12 perfect reps.

1. I have seen guys helping guys with loading bars many times. The one doesn't seem bothered that the other helped.

2. I have had guys give me advice or help with loading, and I don't get upset about it. Since the guys help each other all the time, I figure that I was now one of the gang.

3. I have helped guys load bars from time to time. They never seem insulted.

4. If a woman had helped you, would you have felt as insulted?

5. If you don't want people to help you with loading bars, then wear a sign that says so. Otherwise, don't be so overly sensitive.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Debate aside...

32543518.jpg
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Debate aside...

32543518.jpg

:cry: :cry: :sad: :sad:

crowded gyms....ugh.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Awww haaaaaayyyyl naw...

mom tried to raise me with manners... :wink:
    So it does come through at times.

I kid, I kid! Please continue to use your manners.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I kid, I kid! Please continue to use your manners.

yes ma'am
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Debate aside...

32543518.jpg

:cry: :cry: :sad: :sad:

crowded gyms....ugh.

^^^^^^^^^This!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Different perspective here...I'm a black woman with visible muscles...but I can't lift THAT heavy yet.

Yes it's nice to feel strong, but perhaps because I live in a white-dominated environment and I'm probably quite sensitive anyway I get the impression that people don't really acknowledge your femininity.

In my old gym, the guys (by the way I was the only woman ever in the weights area) would leave all the weights on. I'd often struggle for 10 mins+ of each workout removing/re-racking weights. Not a single person ever offered a hand.

In my new gym I am often pleasantly surprised at the number of guys who will offer to help even before I begin to struggle. And grateful. Is it objectifying/old-fashioned chivalrous and making me a 'weak' female? Maybe, but considering how little help I get generally (due to the perception that I must be very strong/have it all together - seriously, my friends have told me this) I'm very pleased.

Yes it is true that I can do most things myself but it is nice to have it offered. So thanks to all the kind guys in my gym ;)
    You know, I'm not in the habit of paying attention to the other people at the gym. I am there to focus on my workout, get in and get out. So I would not have noticed you struggling for 10 minutes, no matter what color your skin was and what your plumbing looked like. :wink: If you stopped me in between sets and asked me for a hand, though, I would be absolutely thrilled to help you! It would thoroughly jazz me to have an opportunity to interact with another female lifter. I bet the guys would also be more than pleased to help you too, whenever you ask.

I kindly thank people who hold doors for me. Whenever someone offers to carry something for me, though, and I don't need help, I politely decline. I definitely thank them, but I might also make some kind of joke about needing the workout or being able to deadlift them or something like that. If some people take that as me calling them a jerk, that's their problem, not mine. My responsibility is satisfied at the thanking and politely declining.

I also view loading and unloading as part of my workout, so I don't want to cheat myself out of part of my workout. Unless I'm working with my trainer, and then it's his job to load and unload. That way I don't have to think about how much weight I'm adding or anything. I just concentrate on lifting and incorporating the coaching he's giving me.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I do kind of get where you're coming from. I'm short, so people look at me and assume I'm also weak. My whole life people have stepped in and taken over whatever I'm doing/carrying because "that looks heavy". They were probably just being helpful, but it's annoying when it happens all the time. So now that I am stronger and more capable I don't want people to look at me and see weakness.

If someone came up and offered to help, I would most likely accept and say thank you. If someone comes in and takes over though, that's a different story. (I may have a chip on my shoulder but I'm working on it :wink: )
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is Dead!
    *Exhale*
    What a jerk he tried to help!
    *Inhale*
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Wow I must be lucky because no one at my gym helps me out when I am struggling with the bar on the squat rack....
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I got a round of applause from a group of guys at the gym when I deadlifted 125 the first time. :blushing:

Ooh I also had a new personal trainer come over while I was deadlifting and advise me to do some trick with the stability ball instead. :huh:
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I had a guy help me load plates onto my barbell, because he was between sets, making small talk and was just being courteous. The same guy asked me to help him lift an already loaded barbell to his pins so he could do front squats, to save him the time of taking the plates off the barbell, then putting them back on.
    It's gym courtesy, no one is trying to insult you or make you feel week.

I actually feel very welcome at my gym, and yes, it's a "big guys" gym. I think the only reason it took a bit for me to make friends with everyone there was my resting b&^tch face syndrome.
    I swear I'm nice, though.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I already put this on my wall but I though I share here to get some funny stories

So today, some guy asked me if I wanted help when I was setting up the bar for deadlifts (granted I probably looked a little funny cause we got a new platform with a super gripping floor and new plates that handle very differently to the old ones)
    I said: no thanks I'm alright but I thought: what do you think I'm going to do with this bar once I'm done? Sit on it while I'm doing my nails?

Also one of the guys that's always there at this time and knows me looked very amused, might well be because of my expression when the guy offered me to help...

So what are funny stories that happened to you in the gym? Anyone ever insulted you by accident?

i'm betting you looked like you needed the help.

if it's any consolation, i would have just watched you struggle. :flowerforyou:
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I got a round of applause from a group of guys at the gym when I deadlifted 125 the first time. :blushing:

I bet you weren't insulted either.

This is the deal: When men do what women want them to do, women are okay with it. When men do something that women don't want them to do, women get bent. How does the man know what to do? They don't have Jedi mind reading skills and women don't go around wearing signs that say, "You can offer to help. You can call me hun. ....etc." Give the guy a break, for crying out loud. Women wonder why men don't offer to help. Well, I wouldn't either if I were a man. Why? Because men are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Make a new year's resolution: Be kind to yourself, but also to men. They deserve it being all the crap that they have to put up with when it comes to issues like this.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Methinks this thread was intended to humble brag.

I could be wrong though.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I think the only reason it took a bit for me to make friends with everyone there was my resting b&^tch face syndrome.
    I swear I'm nice, though.

LOL I also have this problem
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

i'm betting you looked like you needed the help.

if it's any consolation, i would have just watched you struggle. :flowerforyou:

:laugh: