On-line trainers and coaches, experience?

Options
I'm considering different personal trainers options and am looking at possibly approaching an on-line trainer. If you've used these services, what were your expectations and ideas coming into the relationship? What did you look for?

Any thoughts, ideas? Or just an open discussion on on-line coaching?

I'm sure that a face to face trainer or consultant is a better choice but my environment limits my choices (I'm looking for good English speaking coach in a small town Germany) and at this point I think I might be better served by a larger community.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and input!

If you provide these types of services - what do you expect or want from your potential client?

Replies

• Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I would definitely approach SideSteel with this inquiry.

Good luck!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    On-line trainers and coaches can be a great, cost saving approach. However, you really need to have your goals in order to ensure it is right for you.

Reasons you may need face-to-face rather than online:
    - You'll need assistance with learning proper form on exercises.
    - You know you'll benefit more from training with the push you'll get with a live person in the gym with you.
    - You need motivation to show up at a particular time/place.
    - You have certain physical limitations that having live feedback would aid.

Reasons you may do better with an online coach:
    - Your work/travel make it difficult to be at the same gym week after week.
    - You already know the exercises but want someone to help you build effective programs.
    - You are self motivated, but like the accountability to a trainer (even if they're online).

If you do go with an online coach, you should expect a few things from them:
    - They should be responsive.
    - They should provide individual attention and customized programs (not some canned workout they send out weekly).
    - They should use the technology to provide an equal service (evaluating video you send them, skype sessions, providing relevant information via email and text).

Enjoy!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks Allan, all good points.

Along with goals, I imagine that it's also important to identify current strengths and weaknesses, exercises or current plan, available equipment, physical limitations, available time, health and conditions and other factors that impact lifestyle, nutrition or exercise.

I believe for me, and likely for anyone, it's going to be a mixed bag of pluses or minuses. I can probably use some support on form but don't see myself getting in face to face without changing gym (why does almost no one do DLs in any of my 3 gyms?) and actually finding a PT attached to one of my gyms is quite difficult.

Conundrum.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have considered one due to convenience and also I'm not a fan of having a trainer stand there and yell at me while I'm trying to push or pull things. I know they don't all do that but filtering blech. I am however not at the point where I could fly solo yet with an online trainer. I had something close recently when I went to a chiro who gave me homework to rehabilitiate my shoulder and also I asked him what exercises I could do while seeing him. What I liked about him is he was VERY responsive to my questions and emails. He was VERY understanding of my limatations. He was very knowledgeable about fitness in general. And he would follow up consistently and respectfully to see if I was making reasonable strides. He also knew how long it would take to get my shoulder back in order and displayed a level of confidence that came across even in text and email. I walked away from that experience thinking that in the future when I desire an online trainer, I wish for someone like him and will contact him for referrals or references since his practice is in a gym environment he knows many. Hope this helps this was my pseudo experience with remote "training" or PT or rehab however you want to call it.

p.s. he was very handy with exercises, websites, pics and graphics and vids that were clear and thorough in instructing moves. My appointments with him literally consisted of adjustments only and little instruction and yet I felt completely confident and prepared by whatever he emailed to me in the way of instructions/examples. IT went very very well. I was healed on his timeline he set forth in our first consult.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Sounds like a great experience, MCD.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I think my only issue would be form check, but that can be done via Skype or through posting video...I think it's a great solution for those that live in remote areas.

Seems I don't really have anything helpful to add, but I wanted to chime in anyway! :bigsmile:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In to read replies. I'm currently doing on-line coaching but it's in what I would call "beta testing stage" at the moment. Curious to hear other people's experiences.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I think my only issue would be form check, but that can be done via Skype or through posting video...I think it's a great solution for those that live in remote areas.

Seems I don't really have anything helpful to add, but I wanted to chime in anyway! :bigsmile:

This is one of the areas where I am uncertain and would really appreciate hearing experiences. Video form checks are so not in the gym that while they can help on major elements, I'm not sure the can help that much in the details of a lift. Watch how Burgener calls the cues, adjusts minor things in this video. It really seemed useful http://youtu.be/kGJ2LOMK-tU

I know they are two different animals. I'm still wondering which is better first - assuming one might start with one type and move to the other...
  • SideSteel
    Options

I know they are two different animals. I'm still wondering which is better first - assuming one might start with one type and move to the other...

I think that is going to largely depend on the individual and his or her needs/stage of development. It's also going to depend on the diligence of the client in some respects as well. I can see a significant difference from person to person in terms of who is a "go getter" that is going to basically adhere and execute the plan, vs someone who tends to have periods of "coasting".

In an online environment and speaking from limited experience so far, it's much easier working on technical aspects of a lift when dealing with someone who has at least had some experience. For example, someone who has never done a squat before, it can be a bit challenging. It's also much easier to make technical adjustments in person, for obvious reasons.

That being said, working with someone who is near the intermediate stage at least in terms of experience, it can work quite well as far as making adjustments to lifts and improving technique, provided the client sends you videos regularly and they put the work in to improve the technique.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I don't want to game your beta test or even make uncomfortable any of the participants but I would love to read here or the ETP thread your thoughts and overview of your experience - particularly what you thought did/did not work.

I hope we see others providing input here. It's a fertile area and I haven't seen much on it.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I don't want to game your beta test or even make uncomfortable any of the participants but I would love to read here or the ETP thread your thoughts and overview of your experience - particularly what you thought did/did not work.

I hope we see others providing input here. It's a fertile area and I haven't seen much on it.

I'll PM you, I actually have a lot of thoughts on it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I've been working with one for about 6 months (chrisdavey here on MFP). He's in Australia, so we do everything through his website (cdnutritionandfitness.com). I have my own page where we both upload and have access to files (training spreadsheets, weight and measurement spreadsheets, lifting videos, progress photos, etc.), and we can send and receive messages through the site, so everything is kept in one place.

I think it's great for people who already have some experience in the type of training they want to do and for people who are motivated to train on their own. I wouldn't recommend it to people who are total beginners or who would constantly skip or half-*kitten* their training sessions if they didn't have an in-person coach breathing down their neck.

I was pretty strong and had already lost a ton of weight when I started working with Chris, but programming and more advanced diet strategies were beyond the scope of my knowledge and really beyond what I had time to research and figure out on my own. It has really simplified my training to have three months of work and a definitive goal laid out in front of me.

The key piece of advice I would offer about choosing an online coach is find someone who is truly interested in YOUR goals. I really think that should be one of the first questions they ask you, if not the very first one. You are going to work the hardest for the things YOU want to achieve, not for what someone else wants FOR you. So be insistent about that. You will likely come across a variety of lazy trainers who have a portfolio of a whopping TWO programs to offer, and they'd much rather sell you on one of those than spend time creating something that fits what YOU want.

And if you're looking for continual coaching and not just someone to write a program for you, I also agree that you want someone who is responsive enough that you can tell they value having you as a client. It is also important that he/she offers genuine, personal feedback on your form, your diet, or whatever it is you're paying for. If it seems like you're getting the same "Everything looks great" that they are sending to all their clients, then you're clearly not getting your money's worth.

ETA: When I first signed up with Chris, I filled out an extensive questionnaire about my training experience, including current routine and current PRs, my injury history, my diet history, even how much traveling I do, so I agree with the point you made above about the importance of assessing current strengths and weaknesses and your general ability to successfully complete varying levels of programs.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to keep track of the responses.

I've been considering an on-line trainer for a while now and am interested in seeing the input.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging to follow
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I work with one and love it.

Very helpful for me from a mental perspective...Helps with alleviating stress of trying to manage my own macros and making adjustments based upon my body's feedback. Granted, I'm experienced enough to be able to make most of the calls on my own at this point, it's just less stressful for me. Also, I can send videos regarding form and inquires regarding thoughts on my programming at any time.

My coach is more like a partner and consultant.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I've been working with one for about 6 months (chrisdavey here on MFP). He's in Australia, so we do everything through his website (cdnutritionandfitness.com). I have my own page where we both upload and have access to files (training spreadsheets, weight and measurement spreadsheets, lifting videos, progress photos, etc.), and we can send and receive messages through the site, so everything is kept in one place.

I think it's great for people who already have some experience in the type of training they want to do and for people who are motivated to train on their own. I wouldn't recommend it to people who are total beginners or who would constantly skip or half-*kitten* their training sessions if they didn't have an in-person coach breathing down their neck.

I was pretty strong and had already lost a ton of weight when I started working with Chris, but programming and more advanced diet strategies were beyond the scope of my knowledge and really beyond what I had time to research and figure out on my own. It has really simplified my training to have three months of work and a definitive goal laid out in front of me.

The key piece of advice I would offer about choosing an online coach is find someone who is truly interested in YOUR goals. I really think that should be one of the first questions they ask you, if not the very first one. You are going to work the hardest for the things YOU want to achieve, not for what someone else wants FOR you. So be insistent about that. You will likely come across a variety of lazy trainers who have a portfolio of a whopping TWO programs to offer, and they'd much rather sell you on one of those than spend time creating something that fits what YOU want.

And if you're looking for continual coaching and not just someone to write a program for you, I also agree that you want someone who is responsive enough that you can tell they value having you as a client. It is also important that he/she offers genuine, personal feedback on your form, your diet, or whatever it is you're paying for. If it seems like you're getting the same "Everything looks great" that they are sending to all their clients, then you're clearly not getting your money's worth.

ETA: When I first signed up with Chris, I filled out an extensive questionnaire about my training experience, including current routine and current PRs, my injury history, my diet history, even how much traveling I do, so I agree with the point you made above about the importance of assessing current strengths and weaknesses and your general ability to successfully complete varying levels of programs.

x2
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I will make this short for now since I am writing this on my phone.
    I recently started online coaching with 3DMJ as I wanted a second set of eyes on my diet and exercise program. My goal is to compete in local natural bodybuilding shows in the master's division. My experience with them has been great as they have tweaked my diet and exercise program. With that I have seen excellent gains in less than 2 months time.

I know for fact a lot of the coaches practice power lifting as well as coach it so this my be viable avenue for you to check as they do Skype calls. I will check this thread later when i am in front of my computer if you would like to know more.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    On-line trainers and coaches can be a great, cost saving approach. However, you really need to have your goals in order to ensure it is right for you.

Reasons you may need face-to-face rather than online:
    - You'll need assistance with learning proper form on exercises.
    - You know you'll benefit more from training with the push you'll get with a live person in the gym with you.
    - You need motivation to show up at a particular time/place.
    - You have certain physical limitations that having live feedback would aid.

Reasons you may do better with an online coach:
    - Your work/travel make it difficult to be at the same gym week after week.
    - You already know the exercises but want someone to help you build effective programs.
    - You are self motivated, but like the accountability to a trainer (even if they're online).

If you do go with an online coach, you should expect a few things from them:
    - They should be responsive.
    - They should provide individual attention and customized programs (not some canned workout they send out weekly).
    - They should use the technology to provide an equal service (evaluating video you send them, skype sessions, providing relevant information via email and text).

Enjoy!

Great reply ! I'm a trainer and health coach. Many of my clients are online. It can work very well, for the right clients. A good online coach has tools / skills to provide fitness assessments, write customized programs for YOU, provide virtual education on form and technique, interactive feedback on the program and effective communication !

As with any trainer - interview them, ensure that it is a good fit for YOU.

In general, online coaching is geared toward intermediate/ more experienced trainees, not beginners. Sounds like you may very well be a good fit for online coaching. Good luck !
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    bump for future posts.