Shakeology vs. Body by Vi or other shake products

Does anyone use Shakeology or have you in the past (not a coach/consultant please)? I am looking for honest opinions before I decide to make a huge purchase. I used to use Body by Vi and liked the taste but never saw results and before I spend even more money on shake products I would love to hear some REAL, UNBIASED opinions from consumers (not sellers).Thanks!

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Unbiased opinion; buy a protein powder and a quality multivitamin instead, for all of the benefit and less of the cost.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Tried Body by Vi because my friends sold it at the time and basically bought it for me and forced me to try it. Tastes good, did nothing for weight loss. Not really different than any other high quality protein powder. I *assume* that Shakeology is similar.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Unbiased opinion; buy a protein powder and a quality multivitamin instead, for all of the benefit and less of the cost.

^^ this and prepare yourself you will now get all sorts of spam from all the sellers that lurk on this site
  • KetoMamaof2
    KetoMamaof2 Posts: 2 Member
    Honestly, I did the slimfast shakes. Under $7 for two shakes a day for almost two weeks I believe. I still ate smaller healthy snacks and a good protein filled dinner. Always within my calories but not super under.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Does anyone use Shakeology or have you in the past (not a coach/consultant please)? I am looking for honest opinions before I decide to make a huge purchase. I used to use Body by Vi and liked the taste but never saw results and before I spend even more money on shake products I would love to hear some REAL, UNBIASED opinions from consumers (not sellers).Thanks!

Yeah maybe you saw no results as they are just a supplement, nothing magical which causes great changes in body comp
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Your "about me" says that you've tried many of the fads, it also says you have learned it is a lifestyle change but 2 years in you're still after the quick fix fad. Try the healthy eating and exercise. Eat your calories :flowerforyou:
  • daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    I tried shakeology while doing body beast. I mean its good for you, but it tastes like rotten *kitten*. No matter what I mixed with it, the strong *kitten* taste came through
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    I used shakeology everyday as a breakfast replacement for 4 months. I would give it an endorsement. It provided a great nutritious start to the day, and I believe it helped control hunger, and reduce cravings for poor food choices. Its advertised as a protein drink, but it really is far more of a balanced shake product. I have since moved on from shakeology and now do cellucor protein drinks / oatmeal and protein for breakfast. But I loved shakeology and I would recommend it. I dropped over 80 pounds, and shakeology helped to change my diet.

Having said that: it is expensive. I never bought from beachbody site. I purchased 30 day bags off of ebay and saved $$$. I never paid more than $110 a bag. A 30 day supply of cellucor protein is about half the price. And since I am now in a position to maintain my weight / reduce fat intake and focus on proteins and healthy carbs, I made the switch.

There are numerous threads on here about this subject. You are going to get alot of negative feedback about the product and the coaching / multilayer marketing. I'm sure a couple will chime in on my post in a nonsupportive way. I don't care - my results stand.
  • KindredSouls
    KindredSouls Posts: 188 Member
    enino-man-no.gif
  • ablissabby
    ablissabby Posts: 56 Member
    I used to drink Shakeology daily - and I swore by the formula that was available two versions ago. I had no benefits from the current one, and the version before it caused some kind of horrible allergy in my neck. And I'm not a coach :) I know people love their Body by Vi Shakes!

Good luck!
  • sandjar131
    sandjar131 Posts: 41 Member
    I recently bought Shakeology (vanilla, if that matters) - I agree with other posters here - the taste is horrid. Plus the gastro side effects were pretty horrible as well. I kept at it anyway for 2 weeks, hoping my body would adjust...it didn't, so I have a 1/2 empty bag sitting in my kitchen. I bought it on Ebay, so can't return it...and can't bring myself to throw it out :tongue: . So, I don't really recommend it :).
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    the whole reason they work is because they're replacing potentially fatty meals with something balanced and filling. easy fix if you're trying to do the shake thing is buy protein powder and make your shakes at home with fruits and veggies. dont spend tons of money on shake products.

ps- just in case you were wondering about herbalife, i tried it for 2 days and stopped because it was NASTY lol
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Anecdotally, I don't see or feel any difference between Shakeology and any other meal replacement type shake. Its good for a quick meal or on the go type thing. Helps you get your protein in. I feel I get the same benefits from a protein powder and a greens powder. Or any other meal replacement. Any more I feel its more about price point to a certain degree.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Disclaimer: I'm a BB coach, but don't discount my opinion. I like Shakeo, but I don't think it's for everyone. I only recommend it to people who:
    A) Hate vegetables or fruits or foods that naturally have the crazy amounts of nutrients that Shakeo has.
    B) Are already spending an assload on daily vitamins/protein shakes when they could consume the same amounts of nutrients in one meal versus a whey shake, 5 pills, etc...

I only drink Shakeo when nothing else is an option. I don't need it for weight loss, but some people do, and they use it because it's a meal-replacement.

As for Body by Vi...no clue what it is. I'll have to use the Google machine. Slim fast? Maybe I'm a bit of a food purist, but I just get grossed out reading the labels on it. I like to know that not only are my ingredients "all natural" but that they're also WHOLE FOOD ingredients.

What's more important to you? What you ingest? Or a number on the scale?
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Tried it and it was absolutely TERRIBLE.

Just invest in a quality protein powder and eat healthy.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Disclaimer: I'm a BB coach, but don't discount my opinion. I like Shakeo, but I don't think it's for everyone. I only recommend it to people who:
    A) Hate vegetables or fruits or foods that naturally have the crazy amounts of nutrients that Shakeo has.
    B) Are already spending an assload on daily vitamins/protein shakes when they could consume the same amounts of nutrients in one meal versus a whey shake, 5 pills, etc...

I only drink Shakeo when nothing else is an option. I don't need it for weight loss, but some people do, and they use it because it's a meal-replacement.

As for Body by Vi...no clue what it is. I'll have to use the Google machine. Slim fast? Maybe I'm a bit of a food purist, but I just get grossed out reading the labels on it. I like to know that not only are my ingredients "all natural" but that they're also WHOLE FOOD ingredients.

What's more important to you? What you ingest? Or a number on the scale?

Since you're a coach, how do you know ShakeO has a lot of nutrients, when all the ingredients are in a prop blend?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    NO.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member

This!!

But seriously... most of those shakes are just a bunch of proteins, vitamins, and flavor...and most taste like complete crap.

Find a good protein you like (I've heard Trutein Cinnamon Bun is beyond delicious) and add it to some soy or almond milk. Take a good multivitamin everyday. It's much cheaper, tastes better, and most likely has more much-needed protein.

That being said, if you want a good "all-for-one" shake--I'd recommend Alive Whole Food Energizer Vanilla. It tastes horrible...100% grossness. But if you make it into a quick shot (which is what I do with it) you get a freakish amount of good stuff out of it and it's rather cheap in comparison.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    enino-man-no.gif

Love it!!!

and This!!!

ETA: and by love it...I meant the GIF...

Don't waste your money. Though should you choose to waste your money you could just send it to me.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Neither of them are magical. They can be used to create a calorie deficit, which would result in weight loss. You can create a calorie deficit in your diet for free - just log all your food on MFP and don't go over your calorie goal every day.