Shakeology vs. Body by Vi or other shake products

Replies

• lisajodean
    lisajodean Posts: 22 Member
    I know! Just thought I would try to deter it! Haha.
  • lisajodean
    Your "about me" says that you've tried many of the fads, it also says you have learned it is a lifestyle change but 2 years in you're still after the quick fix fad. Try the healthy eating and exercise. Eat your calories :flowerforyou:

Thank you for reading my about me and reminding me of that!
  • lisajodean
    Neither of them are magical. They can be used to create a calorie deficit, which would result in weight loss. You can create a calorie deficit in your diet for free - just log all your food on MFP and don't go over your calorie goal every day.

Ha! Thanks. I appreciate the response. :)
  • lisajodean
    Unbiased opinion; buy a protein powder and a quality multivitamin instead, for all of the benefit and less of the cost.

This!!

But seriously... most of those shakes are just a bunch of proteins, vitamins, and flavor...and most taste like complete crap.

Find a good protein you like (I've heard Trutein Cinnamon Bun is beyond delicious) and add it to some soy or almond milk. Take a good multivitamin everyday. It's much cheaper, tastes better, and most likely has more much-needed protein.

That being said, if you want a good "all-for-one" shake--I'd recommend Alive Whole Food Energizer Vanilla. It tastes horrible...100% grossness. But if you make it into a quick shot (which is what I do with it) you get a freakish amount of good stuff out of it and it's rather cheap in comparison.

So I guess my question then is, I have never used protein powders. I actually just assumed they were like shake powders but for gaining muscle instead of weight loss? I love shakes because I feel like I am having dessert. I have a huge ice cream addiction and shakes were a way to help curb gorging myself on ice cream. Will protein powders limit weight loss? I would love to gain muscle (eventually) but for now I am still in weight loss mode.
  • lisajodean
    enino-man-no.gif

Love it! Thanks!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Unbiased opinion; buy a protein powder and a quality multivitamin instead, for all of the benefit and less of the cost.

This!!

But seriously... most of those shakes are just a bunch of proteins, vitamins, and flavor...and most taste like complete crap.

Find a good protein you like (I've heard Trutein Cinnamon Bun is beyond delicious) and add it to some soy or almond milk. Take a good multivitamin everyday. It's much cheaper, tastes better, and most likely has more much-needed protein.

That being said, if you want a good "all-for-one" shake--I'd recommend Alive Whole Food Energizer Vanilla. It tastes horrible...100% grossness. But if you make it into a quick shot (which is what I do with it) you get a freakish amount of good stuff out of it and it's rather cheap in comparison.

So I guess my question then is, I have never used protein powders. I actually just assumed they were like shake powders but for gaining muscle instead of weight loss? I love shakes because I feel like I am having dessert. I have a huge ice cream addiction and shakes were a way to help curb gorging myself on ice cream. Will protein powders limit weight loss? I would love to gain muscle (eventually) but for now I am still in weight loss mode.

Protein powder will not limit weight loss. Only eating at maintenance or a surplus will do that. And you're not likely to gain any muscle eating at a deficit. Protein shakes are filling and tasty. I'm addicted to Trutein Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup.
  • lisajodean
    I used shakeology everyday as a breakfast replacement for 4 months. I would give it an endorsement. It provided a great nutritious start to the day, and I believe it helped control hunger, and reduce cravings for poor food choices. Its advertised as a protein drink, but it really is far more of a balanced shake product. I have since moved on from shakeology and now do cellucor protein drinks / oatmeal and protein for breakfast. But I loved shakeology and I would recommend it. I dropped over 80 pounds, and shakeology helped to change my diet.

Having said that: it is expensive. I never bought from beachbody site. I purchased 30 day bags off of ebay and saved $$$. I never paid more than $110 a bag. A 30 day supply of cellucor protein is about half the price. And since I am now in a position to maintain my weight / reduce fat intake and focus on proteins and healthy carbs, I made the switch.

There are numerous threads on here about this subject. You are going to get alot of negative feedback about the product and the coaching / multilayer marketing. I'm sure a couple will chime in on my post in a nonsupportive way. I don't care - my results stand.

Thank you. I figured I would hear some good and some bad. This was more of what I was looking for. I thought about trying it the ebay route too, but as someone already reminded me, maybe I should skip the whole shake thing all together. It's just nice to have a quick go-to. Maybe I should look back into oatmeal...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member

This!!

You're not going to gain muscle from protein powder. Muscle gain comes from strength training and a calorie surplus (with adequate amounts of protein). *If* you started lifting, you *might* see a few pounds of muscle from what we call "newbie gains" but that would be it. It wouldn't be enough to make much of a difference and you would quickly lose fat to negate that gain. It wouldn't be anything worth worrying about, in other words.

Protein shakes are just a convenient way to get enough protein - and they can help you feel full, since protein is fairly satiating.
  • lisajodean

This!!

You're not going to gain muscle from protein powder. Muscle gain comes from strength training and a calorie surplus (with adequate amounts of protein). *If* you started lifting, you *might* see a few pounds of muscle from what we call "newbie gains" but that would be it. It wouldn't be enough to make much of a difference and you would quickly lose fat to negate that gain. It wouldn't be anything worth worrying about, in other words.

Protein shakes are just a convenient way to get enough protein - and they can help you feel full, since protein is fairly satiating.

Okay, so here is another question. Is there such thing as too much protein? That is something I have actually met on MFP before where I went over the recommended amount. Are there negatives to that?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    i feel something is missing from this thread......oh yeah. i'll just go ahead and add it here...

Hi! I see that you are interested in [insert product here]!
    I am a [product] representative/coach and I would be happy to offer you a great package to get you started on the path to a healthy lifestyle!
    You can contact me directly at sales@snakeoil.com!
    Just send me your credit card number and first born and you'll be well on your way!

ETA: the response of protein powder and multi is a good one.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member

^^This^^
  • lisajodean
    i feel something is missing from this thread......oh yeah. i'll just go ahead and add it here...

Hi! I see that you are interested in [insert product here]!
    I am a [product] representative/coach and I would be happy to offer you a great package to get you started on the path to a healthy lifestyle!
    You can contact me directly at sales@snakeoil.com!
    Just send me your credit card number and first born and you'll be well on your way!

ETA: the response of protein powder and multi is a good one.

I was actually just about to say I was impressed by everyone and grateful no one has done that (yet). :)
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member

This ^
  • nathotte
    nathotte Posts: 51 Member
    All the fad diets end up doing the same thing, you will drop (depending on how faithfull you are to it) and you will stop as it's not a sustainable diet and you will gain it back and then some..... Eating "healthier" options and exercise will do the trick... Probably take longer but will also have more lasting results as you will learn what foods work for you and which don't.
  • lisajodean
    I used to drink Shakeology daily - and I swore by the formula that was available two versions ago. I had no benefits from the current one, and the version before it caused some kind of horrible allergy in my neck. And I'm not a coach :) I know people love their Body by Vi Shakes!

Good luck!

Thank you!
  • t_welch11
    t_welch11 Posts: 52 Member
    I use nutribullet and protein powder and make all kinds of different shakes with that (for snacks not as a meal replacement) I also make "desserts" with protein powder so I am getting something sweet but its packed with protein and fiber (way less expensive than buying bars at the store!) Plus I always had hard boiled eggs on hand (protein and only 70 cals a pop). Try making some of your own bars or get a nutribullet (or something similar) to make your own and youll save a ton of money and have a lot more tasty options :)
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member

This!!

Yes, protein will increase muscle. More muscle = increased metabolism = more maintenance calories to get to eat, so yes, you can still lose weight while gaining muscle. Just keep staying under your calories. Again, is the number on the scale your end goal? Or is it a certain look you're trying to achieve?
  • AmyByExample
    AmyByExample Posts: 422 Member
    I use a "Pea Protein" shake. There are a few different brands. Whey based don't agree with my stomach, and I'm not loving what I read about soy products these days.

My 1st choice is a "real" meal - but sometimes a shake makes a good quick grab. I like to mix a vanilla one with peanut or almond butter, a small banana & some spinach (oh, water & ice too!).

I've tried many brands & some are plain awful & gagging.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

This!!

Yes, protein will increase muscle. More muscle = increased metabolism = more maintenance calories to get to eat, so yes, you can still lose weight while gaining muscle. Just keep staying under your calories. Again, is the number on the scale your end goal? Or is it a certain look you're trying to achieve?

LMAO, Beachbody coaches are the best for their pearls of wisdom
  • lisajodean
    I use nutribullet and protein powder and make all kinds of different shakes with that (for snacks not as a meal replacement) I also make "desserts" with protein powder so I am getting something sweet but its packed with protein and fiber (way less expensive than buying bars at the store!) Plus I always had hard boiled eggs on hand (protein and only 70 cals a pop). Try making some of your own bars or get a nutribullet (or something similar) to make your own and youll save a ton of money and have a lot more tasty options :)

I think this is really what I have been trying to accomplish all along so what everyone is saying is to get a protein powder (another research trip I guess I will be on to determine which one is best for me) and then just use that to make my own shakes. Okay. Thanks!