Replies

• MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    SABRA HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NessaWilde
    NessaWilde Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sandra is my favorite! The Trader Joe's store brand is also pretty tasty :)
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Cilantro Jalapeno. Yum!
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's. Love the Horseradish hummus! :tongue:
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different tastes so you might have to try a few to find one you like. I don't care for Sabra or Athenos, but I LOVE Tribe roasted red pepper hummus.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I prefer Sabra, but why not just make your own?
    I take garbanzo beans, kalamata olives, olive oil, minced garlic and spinach and blend them all together.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Sabra red pepper or pine nut.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    As many have said I love Sabra.

My favorites are sun dried tomatoes, roasted red pepper, and garlic.
  • kmccormick42
    kmccormick42 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Love Sabras, especially the roasted pine nut. I have it w/ Crunchmaster Crackers almost every day. Also very good on toasted pita bread.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It is so easy to make your own. Chick peas, olive oil, tahini paste, water, and whatever seasoning you want. The thing I have learned about hummus is to over season because it seems to absorb all the flavor. Mine is WAY better than store bought, and it is super easy.

^ This. Also, is there a Middle Eastern store or bakery near you at all? Nothing tastes as good as fresh-made hummus.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Wegmans.
  • GypsyPirate
    GypsyPirate Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Aldi has a perfectly delicious roasted red pepper hummus.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Athenos' spicy three pepper is good, but overall I prefer Sabra. LOVE hummus. Eventually I'll get around to making my own.
  • ilovelucy727
    Options
    I like Sabra or Tribe- for both I get the garlic one. Yummmmmm!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Engine2 or Oasis. I do not buy the kind with oil in it. I usually get roasted red pepper.
  • Chellody22
    Chellody22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love Marzetti's Otria Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
  • stangirl1995
    stangirl1995 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sabra and carrot chips! Yummy!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods has awesome stuff. I prefer the Baba Ghanoush hummus with the roasted eggplant. I can't even have it in my house often because I find it absolutely irresistible.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I like Fontaine Sante, tradional hummus.
    And there are no preservatives in it!

This is my favourite too, I eat it every day, and for what it's worth, I'm also of partial Middle Eastern descent. Some of the store bought ones use WAY too much vinegar in place of lemon juice, but this one is the best I've found.
  • Jessica_Mujahidah
    Jessica_Mujahidah Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I absolutely HATE store bought hommous! It doesn't even taste like the real thing.

I make my own from scratch. It takes like 15 minutes max, and it's much better for you and I've noticed the canned chick peas even have more protein than the store bought hommous.

Ingredients
    1 can chick peas
    5 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
    The juice of 1-2 lemons
    3 cloves of crushed garlic
    Salt to taste

Method
    1. Drain and rinse chick peas. Use a blender/stick blender to blend it down until you get the right consistency.
    2. Add tahini, lemon, crushed garlic and salt into a separate container and mix well.
    3. Combine all ingredients together until you get the desired consistency.
    DONE.

Note: If it's a little too dry, you can play with the quantities of lemon juice. I sometimes add in a table spoon of warm water to help it combine better. I LOVE mine really lemony, so I usually add more lemon, each to their own.

Edit: This is the Lebanese way of making hommous bi tahini. For serving, they usually put it on a plate and serve with olive oil, parsley and spices. I take mine to work so I don't prepare it like this. I only go to the extra effort if I'm having people over :)