Can you really eat "clean" your whole life?

Replies

• Look obviously all of you are going to eat what you want, which is fine by me, it's not my body. But getting upset with me because I point out that processed and packaged foods aren't necessarily good for you is absolutely ridiculous. We all eat them but denial isn't going to help you when you have diseases if you based your diet off of these products. Seriously, should weight loss really take the #1 spot in your wellness? Ponder or not, its no worry to me either way but don't bash me for wanting to better myself and trying to give advice to someone in an open forum when they ask. Especially since my answer was neither militant nor intolerant; and I also said that I'm having trouble with it myself. I'm done here.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Look obviously all of you are going to eat what you want, which is fine by me, it's not my body. But getting upset with me because I point out that processed and packaged foods aren't necessarily good for you is absolutely ridiculous. We all eat them but denial isn't going to help you when you have diseases if you based your diet off of these products. Seriously, should weight loss really take the #1 spot in your wellness? Ponder or not, its no worry to me either way but don't bash me for wanting to better myself and trying to give advice to someone in an open forum when they ask. Especially since my answer was neither militant nor intolerant; and I also said that I'm having trouble with it myself. I'm done here.

Eat the way you want. It's fine.
    But you really should educate yourself before spreading myths about food. That's when people like myself have to point it out. I'd hate for someone to read your posts and assume you're spouting facts.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Look obviously all of you are going to eat what you want, which is fine by me, it's not my body. But getting upset with me because I point out that processed and packaged foods aren't necessarily good for you is absolutely ridiculous. We all eat them but denial isn't going to help you when you have diseases if you based your diet off of these products. Seriously, should weight loss really take the #1 spot in your wellness? Ponder or not, its no worry to me either way but don't bash me for wanting to better myself and trying to give advice to someone in an open forum when they ask. Especially since my answer was neither militant nor intolerant; and I also said that I'm having trouble with it myself. I'm done here.

I'm not upset :laugh: I don't recall anyone saying they were upset either. It's a discussion.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member

But you really should educate yourself before spreading myths about food. That's when people like myself have to point it out. I'd hate for someone to read your posts and assume you're spouting facts.

Exactly. Many of us read up on nutrition and actively educate ourselves. People presenting myths as facts is an affront to our efforts.
  • PikaKnight

^I agree with this and that is why you'll get people in here arguing. It's not about you, most of the time, but about the lurkers that could potentially fall victim to food fear mongering mind sets.
  • Eating healthy makes me a whacky conspiracy theorist? Interesting...
    There are exceptions to every rule. Sure, your grandparents might have lived a very long and fulfilling life regardless of the food they consumed. However, people who make bad food choices are riddling their bodies with cancer-causing chemicals and artery-clogging additives. There is no reason that "clean eating" should be difficult to define. Don't eat **** that isn't natural. There you go, easy as that. I made a choice to get healthy by following a clean-eating lifestyle. Also, I simply stated that chicken is by no means considered clean eating, never said you HAD to eat chicken.
    If you WANT it to be easy, it is. Those of you who think it isn't have some excuse as to why it's not. I am by no means well off, I have 5 children, but I still manage to eat fresh, CLEAN food every day.
    Your lifestyle is your choice, OBVIOUSLY. I only wanted to make a point, that apparently is a sensitive subject to some of you... In a public forum... :ohwell:
  • "should weight loss really take the #1 spot in your wellness?": Yes. the more weight I lose, the better my wellness markers get.
  • PikaKnight
    Eating healthy makes me a whacky conspiracy theorist? Interesting...
    There are exceptions to every rule. Sure, your grandparents might have lived a very long and fulfilling life regardless of the food they consumed. However, people who make bad food choices are riddling their bodies with cancer-causing chemicals and artery-clogging additives. There is no reason that "clean eating" should be difficult to define. Don't eat **** that isn't natural. There you go, easy as that. I made a choice to get healthy by following a clean-eating lifestyle. Also, I simply stated that chicken is by no means considered clean eating, never said you HAD to eat chicken.
    If you WANT it to be easy, it is. Those of you who think it isn't have some excuse as to why it's not. I am by no means well off, I have 5 children, but I still manage to eat fresh, CLEAN food every day.
    Your lifestyle is your choice, OBVIOUSLY. I only wanted to make a point, that apparently is a sensitive subject to some of you... In a public forum... :ohwell:

Technically eating anything cooked isn't natural.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

Woah!

I asked about why supermarket chicken isn't clean and clearly stated I had never heard that before. I never accused you of saying anything about HAVING to eat the chicken or not. I asked a genuine question about your post. I didn't think it was a rude one.

Someone is sensitive here and its not me.
  • PikaKnight

Woah!

I asked about why supermarket chicken isn't clean. I never accused you of saying anything about HAVING to eat the chicken or not. I asked a question about your post. I didn't think it was a rude one.

Someone is sensitive here and its not me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member

You don't like when people speak to you condescendingly, obviously.

Perhaps stop to think that it might be YOU being condescending to others with YOUR rants.

If you think for one minute that your 5 children will have an easy time as adults living up to your "clean eating" standards, you're in for a rude awakening.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire

Source, please.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Sounds like beer is "clean" by all the definitions offered in this thread. Good thing as I have enjoyed three pints in a rather indulgent lunch this afternoon.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Sounds like beer is "clean" by all the definitions offered in this thread. Good thing as I have enjoyed three pints in a rather indulgent lunch this afternoon.

Retreads from the highway would fall under the all-encompassing argument related to "clean" in this thread. I haven't seen any studies showing that human consumption of retreads is unhealthy. Hell, my granpappy chawed retreads to the day he died at 106.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member

Except you didn't make a point at all. And you can't back up most of your claims with any real research.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Such a relief to know I can actually achieve a flat stomach and still enjoy a freakin burger.

Yes. What nearly all diet plans/strategies try to do is achieve a calorie deficit through food choice - foods that are difficult to eat enough of to hit a surplus. That can work. But obviously people pick stupid diets and fail all the time.

MFP gets to the root issue - the calories themselves. So you don't have to try to trick your body with food choice. You just have to log accurately and control yourself. If you choose a burger, maybe you're choosing 900 calories. Maybe you want to eat half of it. Maybe you don't eat 1200 calories of lasagna for dinner when you have only 400 left. Tradeoffs based on knowledge.

Way wow woa... Even a McDonald's McDouble is only 400 calories. What burgers are 900? I'm actually curious.

Culvers Pepper Grinder Pub Double Burger is 911 calories and it was pure awesome when I had it a few days ago :bigsmile:
    http://www.culvers.com/menu-and-nutrition/featured-items/menu-item-details/pepper-grinder-pub-burger-double/#nutrition
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member

Nothing we eat is 100% natural.

I speak from experience, you cant deprive yourself of the foods you love to eat, you will just end up gaining the weight back.

Your telling me you don't have a plate of Pasta, or go out to Mcdonalds and have a burger once and awhile.

Or a great example, this has been a tradition for me and my boyfriend since we got together is every Saturday we go out for dinner and have a starters together, eat a big meal and then we go home, share a big bag of chips and watch a movie.

It makes us happy, and I refuse to stop doing that just because "eating clean is healthier for my body..."
  • Eating healthy makes me a whacky conspiracy theorist? Interesting...

I speak from experience, you cant deprive yourself of the foods you love to eat, you will just end up gaining the weight back.

Your telling me you don't have a plate of Pasta, or go out to Mcdonalds and have a burger once and awhile.

Or a great example, this has been a tradition for me and my boyfriend since we got together is every Saturday we go out for dinner and have a starters together, eat a big meal and then we go home, share a big bag of chips and watch a movie.

It makes us happy, and I refuse to stop doing that just because "eating clean is healthier for my body..."

@stefaniemazz, I can truly say I have not eaten pasta or Mcdonald's in months. I do have burgers, from grass-fed, hormone-free ground beef, with no bun, from time to time. Not saying I haven't eaten large amounts of those foods in the past, and I unfortunately am dealing with the consequences. That is why I am choosing to change my way of eating.
    To everyone else, I certainly did not intend to be condescending by any means. I was answering a question, in my opinion. I also don't feel like I need to "back my claims up" because I assumed it was common knowledge. If my children choose to eat this way, that is their choice to make. I only mentioned that I have 5 children simply because I wanted to point out that I am not well off, but have managed to live this lifestyle because I choose to.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member

@stefaniemazz, I can truly say I have not eaten pasta or Mcdonald's in months. I do have burgers, from grass-fed, hormone-free ground beef, with no bun, from time to time. Not saying I haven't eaten large amounts of those foods in the past, and I unfortunately am dealing with the consequences. That is why I am choosing to change my way of eating.
    To everyone else, I certainly did not intend to be condescending by any means. I was answering a question, in my opinion. I also don't feel like I need to "back my claims up" because I assumed it was common knowledge. If my children choose to eat this way, that is their choice to make. I only mentioned that I have 5 children simply because I wanted to point out that I am not well off, but have managed to live this lifestyle because I choose to.

More power to you, but I could never go without eating Pasta or an occasional fast food meal.
    I would eventually just end up binging.

Like I said, I speak from experience, I gained back all the weight I lost because I didn't allow myself to eat what I wanted to eat when I wanted to eat it.

I'm Italian, and when I lived at home, my family would eat pasta 2 nights a week, and I wouldn't touch and stick to a salad.

Now I eat pasta, but I just changed my portion.

You cant stay away from "bad foods" forever, IMO.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire

What do you do when your children have birthdays? Do you not allow anyone to have birthday cake and ice cream? Do you pack a lunch for all of them to take to school? What do you do when you go out to eat or eat at someone else's house?