Can you really eat "clean" your whole life?

Options

Replies

• stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy makes me a whacky conspiracy theorist? Interesting...
    There are exceptions to every rule. Sure, your grandparents might have lived a very long and fulfilling life regardless of the food they consumed. However, people who make bad food choices are riddling their bodies with cancer-causing chemicals and artery-clogging additives. There is no reason that "clean eating" should be difficult to define. Don't eat **** that isn't natural. There you go, easy as that. I made a choice to get healthy by following a clean-eating lifestyle. Also, I simply stated that chicken is by no means considered clean eating, never said you HAD to eat chicken.
    If you WANT it to be easy, it is. Those of you who think it isn't have some excuse as to why it's not. I am by no means well off, I have 5 children, but I still manage to eat fresh, CLEAN food every day.
    Your lifestyle is your choice, OBVIOUSLY. I only wanted to make a point, that apparently is a sensitive subject to some of you... In a public forum... :ohwell:

Nothing we eat is 100% natural.

I speak from experience, you cant deprive yourself of the foods you love to eat, you will just end up gaining the weight back.

Your telling me you don't have a plate of Pasta, or go out to Mcdonalds and have a burger once and awhile.

Or a great example, this has been a tradition for me and my boyfriend since we got together is every Saturday we go out for dinner and have a starters together, eat a big meal and then we go home, share a big bag of chips and watch a movie.

It makes us happy, and I refuse to stop doing that just because "eating clean is healthier for my body..."

@stefaniemazz, I can truly say I have not eaten pasta or Mcdonald's in months. I do have burgers, from grass-fed, hormone-free ground beef, with no bun, from time to time. Not saying I haven't eaten large amounts of those foods in the past, and I unfortunately am dealing with the consequences. That is why I am choosing to change my way of eating.
    To everyone else, I certainly did not intend to be condescending by any means. I was answering a question, in my opinion. I also don't feel like I need to "back my claims up" because I assumed it was common knowledge. If my children choose to eat this way, that is their choice to make. I only mentioned that I have 5 children simply because I wanted to point out that I am not well off, but have managed to live this lifestyle because I choose to.

What do you do when your children have birthdays? Do you not allow anyone to have birthday cake and ice cream? Do you pack a lunch for all of them to take to school? What do you do when you go out to eat or eat at someone else's house?

All very good questions.

All restaurant foods are processed and high in sodium, even the salads, at some restaurants the salads are even worse then having a burger.

How do you avoid that?
  • mrsnaethe
    Options
    Absolutely, all great questions.
    In the past my whole family ate the cakes from a box or made at our local grocer's bakery. Now, I make carrot cake made with coconut flour and nut-butter frosting.
    I stay away from all fast food, including subway. On the small chance that we go to a restaurant, I order a salad. If we go to dinner at a friend's house, they are all aware of our lifestyle and are more than happy to accommodate it. I absolutely pack my children's lunches (while I still can).
    Yes, this way of life costs more, but I look at it this way: Years of eating poorly and being sedentary has ruined my health. I'm 35 and have Type II diabetes, high blood pressure, high triglycerides and my kidneys are becoming affected. Of course this isn't going to happen to everyone, but it did me. What will cost more, preventative care (eating healthy, clean food) or ambulatory care (expensive, possibly toxic drugs, doctor visits, etc)
    I am quite passionate about this way of life, and I'm proud to show it. By no means did I mean to offend or imply that if you don't follow this lifestyle, you're wrong.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Still no answer as to what is wrong with supermarket chicken.

:huh:
  • mrsnaethe
    Options

Chickens mass-produced for sale in supermarkets are routinely fed antibiotics, arsenic and steroids. There's no money in small chicken....
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Chickens mass-produced for sale in supermarkets are routinely fed antibiotics, arsenic and steroids. There's no money in small chicken....

In Canada and the US, poultry and pork are not given steroids.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    In the past my whole family ate the cakes from a box or made at our local grocer's bakery. Now, I make carrot cake made with coconut flour and nut-butter frosting.
    I stay away from all fast food, including subway. On the small chance that we go to a restaurant, I order a salad. If we go to dinner at a friend's house, they are all aware of our lifestyle and are more than happy to accommodate it. I absolutely pack my children's lunches (while I still can).
    Yes, this way of life costs more, but I look at it this way: Years of eating poorly and being sedentary has ruined my health. I'm 35 and have Type II diabetes, high blood pressure, high triglycerides and my kidneys are becoming affected. Of course this isn't going to happen to everyone, but it did me. What will cost more, preventative care (eating healthy, clean food) or ambulatory care (expensive, possibly toxic drugs, doctor visits, etc)
    I am quite passionate about this way of life, and I'm proud to show it. By no means did I mean to offend or imply that if you don't follow this lifestyle, you're wrong.

I'm sorry that your health is not going well, and I mean that sincerely.
    I'm also happy to hear that you are making positive changes to your lifestyle. I certainly hope that your whole life is not ruined by what you did before and your health issues.

Since I don't know what is really going on with your health, looking at your symptoms I'm going to figure that you are / were obese and that has caused serious problems.

But please realize (not meaning to be ugly here) that obesity is caused by consuming more calories than you are expending, not from McDonald's, Monsanto, grocery stores, etc.

Your newly chosen lifestyle is NOT an easy one, and it IS costly. Some of us are wondering why you have chosen to make such a radical (I realize that it's not really radical to you) move when eating in moderation and moving more works also?
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    All mai nopes ;P.
  • mrsnaethe
    Options

I'm sorry that your health is not going well, and I mean that sincerely.
    I'm also happy to hear that you are making positive changes to your lifestyle. I certainly hope that your whole life is not ruined by what you did before and your health issues.

Since I don't know what is really going on with your health, looking at your symptoms I'm going to figure that you are / were obese and that has caused serious problems.

But please realize (not meaning to be ugly here) that obesity is caused by consuming more calories than you are expending, not from McDonald's, Monsanto, grocery stores, etc.

Your newly chosen lifestyle is NOT an easy one, and it IS costly. Some of us are wondering why you have chosen to make such a radical (I realize that it's not really radical to you) move when eating in moderation and moving more works also?

Thank you, I appreciate that. I fully own my reasons for becoming obese. I didn't believe in moderation, I ate sugary, fried, processed food regularly and only occasionally ate vegetables or fruit.
    I am choosing this lifestyle because I have tried everything short of weight-loss surgery, and this has been the only one to show meaningful results for me personally. I have more energy, I sleep better, and my blood sugar is being controlled without drugs. This also leads to me being much more active. When I reach my goal weight, I might reintroduce some things in moderation, but for now it's not worth it to me.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what is meant by "eating clean". Because for one person that may mean an organic, vegan diet, while for another it may just mean no chips, pretzels, twinkies, soda etc. In between those two extremes there are probably a lot of other "definitions" that include and prohibit different foods.

I eat chicken almost every day, it is high in protein and low in calories, easy to cook, and I like the taste. That doesn't mean I never eat anything else though. When I cook for myself, it is often chicken, but if I decide I really want a burger I can have it.

For weight loss, you are looking at a calories in vs. calories out equation. Even if all you eat is twinkies, if you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight.

For health you probably want to limit processed foods, sweets, etc. Notice I said limit, not eliminate. You can be healthy and still have some processed food on occasion, but it should form the base of your diet.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Look obviously all of you are going to eat what you want, which is fine by me, it's not my body. But getting upset with me because I point out that processed and packaged foods aren't necessarily good for you is absolutely ridiculous.

They're not getting "upset" with you - they're asking you to back up your claim that those foods are bad for you.

Which you aren't doing.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I speak from experience, you cant deprive yourself of the foods you love to eat, you will just end up gaining the weight back.

Your telling me you don't have a plate of Pasta, or go out to Mcdonalds and have a burger once and awhile.

Or a great example, this has been a tradition for me and my boyfriend since we got together is every Saturday we go out for dinner and have a starters together, eat a big meal and then we go home, share a big bag of chips and watch a movie.

It makes us happy, and I refuse to stop doing that just because "eating clean is healthier for my body..."

Why are you so arrogant ? Just because something is part of your experience and just because you can't imagine anything else, does not mean that things that are a certain way for you are also like that for the rest of the world.
    I have not had a fast food burger in maybe 25-30 years. I don't like them and I probably never will. I have never in all my 66 years bought a take-out pizza. I don't care for them. I eat the food I like ( as do millions of other people ).....I just don't like the same foods you think everybody should .
    Please, ( you and many of the other posters ) don't keep assuming that we all automatically enjoy the same foods you do and that for those who eat more natural or healthier it is automatically a sacrifice. Many of us don't get off on burgers , bacon and big bags of chips like you might assume we all should. You need to eat the food you enjoy , while I/we do the same....what we need to accept is that the food we both enjoy is different.....:o).
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what is meant by "eating clean". Because for one person that may mean an organic, vegan diet, while for another it may just mean no chips, pretzels, twinkies, soda etc. In between those two extremes there are probably a lot of other "definitions" that include and prohibit different foods.

I eat chicken almost every day, it is high in protein and low in calories, easy to cook, and I like the taste. That doesn't mean I never eat anything else though. When I cook for myself, it is often chicken, but if I decide I really want a burger I can have it.

For weight loss, you are looking at a calories in vs. calories out equation. Even if all you eat is twinkies, if you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight.

For health you probably want to limit processed foods, sweets, etc. Notice I said limit, not eliminate. You can be healthy and still have some processed food on occasion, but it should form the base of your diet.

Sorry, I made a typo and the site wouldn't let me edit. That last line should say, "but it should not form the base of your diet."
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    carrot cake is disgusting. someone gave me a recipe once, I never made it before. you put in like over a cup of pure oil!!!!!!! I was horrified. It was my mother in law's fave recipe, I made it for my husbands birthday - but I felt like a murderer, not someone doing something out of love.
    If you eat carrot cake made of "clean" foods it is still going to give you diabetes or whatever else, doesn't matter whether its cold pressed oil or not, wholemeal flour or not, its like totally revoltingly unhealthy. Have a carrot instead. now thats what my view on clean eating is.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    For all the things you mentioned, the fact that you were sedentary is far more causative than your old diet. Regular exercise is the number one prevention for most health issues, including hypertension, diabetes, and excess triglycerides. It was the years of being sedentary that ruined your health, not the foods you were eating, and there's decades of research to support that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

That's illegal in the United States to give chickens hormones of any kind.
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    carrot cake is disgusting. someone gave me a recipe once, I never made it before. you put in like over a cup of pure oil!!!!!!! I was horrified. It was my mother in law's fave recipe, I made it for my husbands birthday - but I felt like a murderer, not someone doing something out of love.
    If you eat carrot cake made of "clean" foods it is still going to give you diabetes or whatever else, doesn't matter whether its cold pressed oil or not, wholemeal flour or not, its like totally revoltingly unhealthy. Have a carrot instead. now thats what my view on clean eating is.

I am going to whole-heartedly disagree with you there. Carrot cake is delicous! (especially with a nice, rich cream cheese frosting) When my wife asks what I want her to make for my birthday I've picked this 3 of the last 4 years.

Everything in moderation. (particularly yummy, delicious carrot cake)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

:huh: You felt like a murderer for making your husband a delicious carrot cake? Eating carrot cake (regardless if it's "clean" or not) isn't going to give anyone diabetes. Being overweight or genetics gives people diabetes, not carrot cake.

Aaaand now I wish I had a piece of carrot cake.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

:huh: You felt like a murderer for making your husband a delicious carrot cake? Eating carrot cake (regardless if it's "clean" or not) isn't going to give anyone diabetes. Being overweight or genetics gives people diabetes, not carrot cake.

Lol. I'm having friends over for dinner tonight and dessert is homemade carrot cake. Muahahahaha.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Lol. I'm having friends over for dinner tonight and dessert is homemade carrot cake. Muahahahaha.

Sounds like voluntary manslaughter at least! I wouldn't have posted that as it shows clear premeditation.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I have this friend and she actually wants to become a PASTRY CHEF! Someone call the police!!! That's premeditated murder if I've ever heard it!