Coconut Oil vs. Olive Oil

Options
adpatrick92
adpatrick92 Posts: 67 Member
Who prefers Coconut Oil over Olive Oil and why?

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I prefer Coconut.....
    I like the smell.

It is a MCT, so your body burns it quicker than it does other kinds of oils....

I put it in my coffee....
    Doesn't cause an insulin spike....
  • MaryJaneMadeMeFat
    Options
    I prefer the coconut oil... gives my food a better flavor,
    plus there are like a billion uses for it aside from just
    cooking with it.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil because it tastes better that's the only reason why

Try adding olive Oil to shakes its miffff
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Who prefers Coconut Oil over Olive Oil and why?

Coconut oil in my pumpkin or Japanese pumpkin latte. Even coconut oil on toast, taste wonderful. Olive oil on my salad.
  • thoyamma
    thoyamma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil any day... nothing tastes as good as stirfries in coconut oil. Fried fish in coconut oil is my all time favourite. The flavour is awesome
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil for what little frying I do; olive oil for everything else. I enjoy the different flavors different olive oils have. Coconut oils all taste the same, or have no taste at all.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil....for everything from cooking to skincare!
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    COCONUT.

I always find that olive oil's taste is just....eh, not good....to me.

Coconut oil is the best buttah substitute out there :)
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to how cco is that good for you since it's saturated fat. But I do use it for certain things. Sometimes I sautee fruit in it before adding it to oatmeal, or for some stir fries where it just seems more appropriate (though I have sunflower oil that I use more for that). For the most part I use evoo. I mostly have cco because it's great for cleaning leather and I keep meaning to try it for a hair mask.
  • jaxokc
    jaxokc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil....for everything from cooking to skincare!

This! Makes a great massage oil too
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    Edited because I made a boo boo that couldn't be fixed :(
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    I'm confused as to how cco is that good for you since it's saturated fat. But I do use it for certain things. Sometimes I sautee fruit in it before adding it to oatmeal, or for some stir fries where it just seems more appropriate (though I have sunflower oil that I use more for that). For the most part I use evoo. I mostly have cco because it's great for cleaning leather and I keep meaning to try it for a hair mask.

Fat is NOT bad for you and our bodies need it. Coconut oil is one of the best to ingest (from what I understand).

You can use it for frying (supposedly evoo breaks down the higher the heat gets)
    You can use it for body oil
    Homemade make up
    Homemade lip balm
    Homemade deo (that believe it or not works better than store bought)
    The list is nearly endless for the uses.
  • BecciJoWilding
    BecciJoWilding Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Fat is NOT bad for you and our bodies need it. Coconut oil is one of the best to ingest (from what I understand).

You can use it for frying (supposedly evoo breaks down the higher the heat gets)
    Homemade make up
    Homemade lip balm

Saturated fat and trans fat are NOT good for you and should be consumed in very little amounts if any. If you're going for healthy fat, go for olive oil, it's unsaturated which is the good fat our bodies do need.
    I've heard all the "health benefits" of coconut oil, but I don't buy any of it. They say it's the "good saturated fat", well if any saturated fat is good for you (which it's not) then I guess coconut oil is the one to go for. But unsaturated fat will always be better than any saturated fat, even the "healthier saturated fats"
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat and trans fat are NOT good for you and should be consumed in very little amounts if any. If you're going for healthy fat, go for olive oil, it's unsaturated which is the good fat our bodies do need.
    I've heard all the "health benefits" of coconut oil, but I don't buy any of it. They say it's the "good saturated fat", well if any saturated fat is good for you (which it's not) then I guess coconut oil is the one to go for. But unsaturated fat will always be better than any saturated fat, even the "healthier saturated fats"

I spent some time reading about the difference before adding coconut oil to my cooking regime.

Coconut oil has more medium chained fatty acids, than comparable other solid at room temperature oils (like butter). The though is its easier for your body to digest. Not all saturated fats are equal.

I use both because each has its place. Olive oil has a low smoke temperature and shouldn't be used when cooking on medium-high or high heat (no more than 350F). Coconut oil on the other hand is perfect for cooking. It's smoke temperature is much higher (450F).

For me, i use less coconut oil than i ever did using olive oil or butter.

That being said im guessing we will see this debate for a while ~ remember when eggs where bad because of saturated fat? (Or wait, are they bad again, i don't remember. I just love my omelette lol). The studies are still being done.

If you are going to try coconut oil, get cold pressed virgin coconut oil.

Oh transfats are completely man-made and aren't good for you at all. So if you're going to avoid any fat, avoid transfats.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I prefer extra virgin olive oil. Love love love the taste.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Both should be included to get a nice ratio I'd throw in some canola or flax too.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    CO for sure, especially the unrefined, extra virgin, cold pressed one.
    Smells nice
    Doesn't turn to 'bad' fat when heated
    Has MCTs
    Perfect for stir frys
    Great skin moisturiser
    Great hair mask
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Homemade make up
    Homemade lip balm

from http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/saturated-fat-does-not-cause-heart-disease/

" We have not even established a consistent association between saturated fat and heart disease. The study to look at this has not even been done. You may like to read that again if you thought that the trial against saturated fat had even been opened, let alone closed. Here are the confessions from the UK Government, since 1984, that the trial has not been done and nor will it be…" etc etc

"There are three facts that I can state without any fear of being proven wrong:
    1) It has not been proven that saturated fat consumption causes heart disease;
    2) It has not even been proven that there is a consistent association between saturated fat consumption and heart disease;
    3) The definitive study to try to prove this has not been done and likely never will be."

The author gives references

And to OP - I prefer coconut oil. I only use olive oil for salad dressing (I don't like to cook with it)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately your references will not be able to give you a reason why saturated fat is bad for us, just that it is......and clogging arteries is a fail. You might want to do more research because coconut oil and other natural saturated fat are perfectly fine and some would say healthy.
  • BecciJoWilding
    BecciJoWilding Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately your references will not be able to give you a reason why saturated fat is bad for us, just that it is......and clogging arteries is a fail. You might want to do more research because coconut oil and other natural saturated fat are perfectly fine and some would say healthy.

references please (oh and reliable ones, not a persons opinion please.) Trust me I've done my research, and so for me, I try to limit my saturated fat as much as possible. I am not going to list all my references cause people can do their own research, I've already done mine for me. I just have never seen any research and studies done to support what you are saying. To each their own, but for me, I stick with unsaturated fats for my health benefits