Food Binges

Options
2»

Replies

• AdventureVia
    AdventureVia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    so yesterday I drove 1350 miles from Phoenix to McAllen and along the way I stopped at Wendy's and tons of gas stations for energy drinks. Then I got to the hotel and walked next door to Whataburger. I ordered a large strawberry milkshake, a grillen chicken sandwhich, a large onion rings, and a double whataburger!!!!
    This is the most I've ordered since I started running but it's pretty typical of my old lifestyle. Thankfully my body didn't know what to do with it and after the grilled chicken and the onion rings, I was a quarter into the double and felt super ill. I tossed the rest of the burger and more than half the milkshake.
    This morning I still feel like barfing. Binging like that was like electroshock therapy, or actually like that scene from Clockwork Orange where his eyes are held open and he has to watch all those brutal scenes.
    No more binges for me! Bad food is not my friend!!!!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    so yesterday I drove 1350 miles from Phoenix to McAllen and along the way I stopped at Wendy's and tons of gas stations for energy drinks. Then I got to the hotel and walked next door to Whataburger. I ordered a large strawberry milkshake, a grillen chicken sandwhich, a large onion rings, and a double whataburger!!!!
    This is the most I've ordered since I started running but it's pretty typical of my old lifestyle. Thankfully my body didn't know what to do with it and after the grilled chicken and the onion rings, I was a quarter into the double and felt super ill. I tossed the rest of the burger and more than half the milkshake.
    This morning I still feel like barfing. Binging like that was like electroshock therapy, or actually like that scene from Clockwork Orange where his eyes are held open and he has to watch all those brutal scenes.
    No more binges for me! Bad food is not my friend!!!!

Wow!! I may as well get my license and drive from Michigan to Massachusetts to see my family! I guess to help during travels to reduce eating out so much is bring some food with you..prepare something, bring fruits & veggies and stop for plenty of water. I tend to do that when I travel amtrak, i eat a lot of food and eat out at the stations.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I know everyone on here is trying to watch their eating habits, but has anyone ate so much in one night consuming thousands of calories?

Beware, you are setting yourself up for bad behaviors. The reason people binge is because they have been restricting too much!
  • goldilocks007
    Options
    kdiamond has a great point, I have been working with a nutritionalist for year. I found the reason I was binge eating on a regular basis was part emotion but partly because I was only eating one main meal a day. By adding more meals, snacks and a protein source with all meals and snacks, I can't remember the that time I binged. When the emotions flair and I want to eat, I add an additional protein bar (we agree an additional 200 calories is worth the extra calories if it saves me from consuming thousands of calories) and then I take a walk--away from the trigger for 5 minutes. I can then hold on until the next meal or snack. Don't be fooled though. This strategy sounds easier than it actually is. This is a challenge I still face several times a week...:grumble:
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it in a long time, but I once put down a dozen donuts in one sitting. I would not eat, not eat, not eat...then GORGE! Not good :noway: I haven't done something like that in a long time, thankfully. These days, I just eat too many snacks & bad for you foods which I'm trying to quit.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Wow, I am in the middle of a week-long binge-ing cycle. My food diary is scary and depressing and I feel like giving up. Haven't had such a bad bought of uncontrollable eating for... oh I don't even know...ever?

What can I do to STOP the cycle? I am gaining back all the weight I finally managed to lose :cry:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am in the middle of a week-long binge-ing cycle. My food diary is scary and depressing and I feel like giving up. Haven't had such a bad bought of uncontrollable eating for... oh I don't even know...ever?

What can I do to STOP the cycle? I am gaining back all the weight I finally managed to lose :cry:

Its purely mental. Write down what you're feeling when you pick up something to eat. Are you anxious, tired, angry? Only you can take control of your feelings and learn WHY you're binging.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I think it was boredom >> depression. Getting back on the health trail now. Today was much better. I blogged about the binge in my LiveJournal and one of my friends kinda helped me think about what I was doing. I am going to start planning little one person parties on my free days so I don't sit around doing nothing any more!

When I was eating I was feeling mostly depressed, and when I am depressed I try to make myself feel worse (no logic, I know, but that is what happens). Now I can try to avoid it more :)