Do you like the British Broadcasting Corporation?

Options

Replies

• ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    My FWB used to like the BBC, but then my wife and I turned her onto ATM and MFF....
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    I think my ex girlfriend likes BBC.

That might be why she's your ex?

Pretty much the main reason.
  • BaconWagon
    BaconWagon Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    this thread:
    taylor-swift-laughing-gif-taylor-swift-30258989-500-245.gif?w=500
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    BBC bar and grill is pretty good I heard
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Love the programming, hate the 'business model'.

yeah lol.... I didn't have a TV for a couple of years, I was constantly hounded by letters telling me I didn't have a TV license. One they asked me to fill in a form with one question "I don't have a TV license because ____________________" and on the line I wrote "I do not have a TV set" but still the letters kept on coming. I almost wished they'd send their stupid TV detector van around so they could search my house, not find any trace of a TV set and stop sending me the bloody letters!!!!!

what is a TV license?

the BBC is funded through the TV license, it's kind of like a tax on TVs. If you own a TV you have to buy a license. If you don't have one and they catch you watching the BBC channels you'll get in big trouble and can even go to jail (similar to not paying road tax etc). That's how the BBC is funded, and there are no commercials on the BBC, which is good. And I'm happy to pay for a license if I have a TV and watch the BBC...... but it's the assumption of the people who check up on TV licenses that absolutely no-one does not own a TV and therefore anyone who doesn't have a TV license is a criminal, that really did my head in.

What's road tax? :P
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    My sister in law friends always say BBC is way overrated. They fell for the hype and were left disappoint, so they came back
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Well this is entertaining.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    People think everyone from the bbc is a "big wig" but in reality they are mostly just of average status. Ive been with a few people who were part of the bbc, so I know this first hand. And just because your cooperation may be big, doesn't mean you know how to work it in a way that is pleasing to its investors.
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    SHERLOCK
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    People think everyone from the bbc is a "big wig" but in reality they are mostly just of average status. Ive been with a few people who were part of the bbc, so I know this first hand. And just because your cooperation may be big, doesn't mean you know how to work it in a way that is pleasing to its investors.

I've heard that before. Which is a shame because my branch of the BBC knows that it has to please the investors or the stock will plummet.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

I've heard that before. Which is a shame because my branch of the BBC knows that it has to please the investors or the stock will plummet.
    Your branch has the right idea. If you want a big a big return, or if your company is trying to branch into "new business ventures" with its partners, it must first please the investors and put them at ease, giving them confidence in your ability to perform above and beyond their expectations
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I love the shows "Are You Being Served" and "Keeping Up Appearances".
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    My sister in law friends always say BBC is way overrated. They fell for the hype and were left disappoint, so they came back

There are a lot of bad BBC shows, I bet if they watched a good BBC show they would love it for ever, and never go back to small time shows.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I like BBC America. My favorite show is Top Gear. They are irreverent and hilarious in ways that are not allowed on American t.v.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear people are finally recognizing my BBC!!! I remember going to the Isle of Man with some of my American lady friends and boy the moment they saw the BBC they fell in love. When we came back to the US they would not stop telling everyone about me showing them the BBC.
  • jlschuh44
    Options
    I love the BBC. I used to tune in every Saturday AM on satellite radio...just to get 'their' take on things, ya' know?

It is always interesting to get another perspective....and not hear the same liberal media slant every day.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    For programmes? Sure some great stuff has come from there over the years. The whole TV licence thing? An absolute crock of sh*te. The "detection vans" don't exist, and the bullying tactics used to enter property and threaten / scare people can be irritating at best and downright apalling at worst (very much area dependant i suspect).

At one point I even let the guy in, showed them that whilst there was a tv, there was no form of signal and it was only good for the playstation it was connected to. Despite being told I wouldn't hear from them, I still got the standard threatening letters. I don't even watch the BBC any more and all the other channels are paid for through advertising, yet it is still expected for one to have a licence - in fact, even if you don't have a TV, but have "recieving equipment" - which can even include a smartphone these days, that is allegedly cause enough for you to require a licence. All the good BBC programmes are now on channels like Dave and Gold for your sitcoms.

But this isn't making me any fitter... /endrant
  • kneega
    kneega Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    aware
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    Never liked BBC. Too many shows about stealing cars (Top Gear) and causing trouble (The East Enders).

I did like the show Spooks though, quality programming.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I no longer have cable but that is the one and only station I miss! I now have to wait for my Dr. Who fix. It's tragic really.