Do you like the British Broadcasting Corporation?

Options

Replies

• kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Doctor Who, Merlin, Graham Norton, Top Gear...yes I love it!!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Aware... but I still agree with this:
    I love the shows "Are You Being Served" and "Keeping Up Appearances".
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    Always Merlin the BBC.
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    People think everyone from the bbc is a "big wig" but in reality they are mostly just of average status. Ive been with a few people who were part of the bbc, so I know this first hand. And just because your cooperation may be big, doesn't mean you know how to work it in a way that is pleasing to its investors.

I've heard that before. Which is a shame because my branch of the BBC knows that it has to please the investors or the stock will plummet.
    Your branch has the right idea. If you want a big a big return, or if your company is trying to branch into "new business ventures" with its partners, it must first please the investors and put them at ease, giving them confidence in your ability to perform above and beyond their expectations

I don't know guise. The BBC is far from being average. They have served millions of viewers over the years and have a long long long history, though it's clouded by some darkness. Nevertheless, the amount of curious new business venture partners is what's keeping the BBC in business. Otherwise their funds would dry up, like a dried, shriveled raisin.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I no longer have cable but that is the one and only station I miss! I now have to wait for my Dr. Who fix. It's tragic really.

You need the BBC in your life!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I just found this thread.

:laugh:
  • jsukhan
    jsukhan Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    OMG Can't stop laughing, this is almost as good as the carpet thread.

Once you go _____, you never go back?

:)
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    The BBC is way better than the *kitten* that disguises itself as the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)....if you want a dose of mediocrity with a boredom chaser then try watching some of their shows....I'd rather watch paint dry while getting a root canal, while relaxing on a bed of nails.....just sayin'....
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Love the programming, hate the 'business model'.

yeah lol.... I didn't have a TV for a couple of years, I was constantly hounded by letters telling me I didn't have a TV license. One they asked me to fill in a form with one question "I don't have a TV license because ____________________" and on the line I wrote "I do not have a TV set" but still the letters kept on coming. I almost wished they'd send their stupid TV detector van around so they could search my house, not find any trace of a TV set and stop sending me the bloody letters!!!!!

what is a TV license?

the BBC is funded through the TV license, it's kind of like a tax on TVs. If you own a TV you have to buy a license. If you don't have one and they catch you watching the BBC channels you'll get in big trouble and can even go to jail (similar to not paying road tax etc). That's how the BBC is funded, and there are no commercials on the BBC, which is good. And I'm happy to pay for a license if I have a TV and watch the BBC...... but it's the assumption of the people who check up on TV licenses that absolutely no-one does not own a TV and therefore anyone who doesn't have a TV license is a criminal, that really did my head in.

What if you have a Tv for watching dvd's only, but you never watch the BBC. Do you still have to pay?
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    The BBC is way better than the *kitten* that disguises itself as the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)....if you want a dose of mediocrity with a boredom chaser then try watching some of their shows....I'd rather watch paint dry while getting a root canal, while relaxing on a bed of nails.....just sayin'....

The BBC is happy to entertain women of all ages and walks of life. Sometimes it is too much to take in initially, so be careful.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Top Gear
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

yeah lol.... I didn't have a TV for a couple of years, I was constantly hounded by letters telling me I didn't have a TV license. One they asked me to fill in a form with one question "I don't have a TV license because ____________________" and on the line I wrote "I do not have a TV set" but still the letters kept on coming. I almost wished they'd send their stupid TV detector van around so they could search my house, not find any trace of a TV set and stop sending me the bloody letters!!!!!

what is a TV license?

the BBC is funded through the TV license, it's kind of like a tax on TVs. If you own a TV you have to buy a license. If you don't have one and they catch you watching the BBC channels you'll get in big trouble and can even go to jail (similar to not paying road tax etc). That's how the BBC is funded, and there are no commercials on the BBC, which is good. And I'm happy to pay for a license if I have a TV and watch the BBC...... but it's the assumption of the people who check up on TV licenses that absolutely no-one does not own a TV and therefore anyone who doesn't have a TV license is a criminal, that really did my head in.

What if you have a Tv for watching dvd's only, but you never watch the BBC. Do you still have to pay?

The license costs £145.50 for a colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

*http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/how-to-tell-us-you-dont-watch-tv-top12/
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    zombie....yeah I have fond memories of the BBC while living in NZ.....we got some of the shows down there....:)
  • 25point4
    Options
    BBC strikes again...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

what is a TV license?

technically, no, but the TV licensing people will hound you incessantly because they can't compute the idea that some people don't own TVs or don't watch TV. Even if you inform them that you don't have a TV or only use your TV for watching DVDs they won't believe you and will still send you warning letters of dire consequences if they find out that you have a TV without a license.

ETA: I was told that if you only use a TV for watching DVDs you have to disable the aerial so it's impossible to receive BBC on it or you can still get done for TV license evasion.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    It's mostly overrated, which is why I have been thinking about starting the BWC. Our broadcasting would be financed by hard work, not the government. I am tired of how commonplace lazy programming has become. I mean, sure, some of the scripts are deep, and the scope of some shows are massive, but it takes someone with brains to truly hit the deep spots in someone, and hit them over and over and over again. It has to be so good that they can't get enough and keep, coming, back for more.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

what is a TV license?

The license costs £145.50 for a colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

*http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/how-to-tell-us-you-dont-watch-tv-top12/

What a racket.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What's road tax? :P

Something that hasn't applied in the UK for a very long time :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Yes, because part of the public funding goes to other channels as well.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love the BBC. I used to tune in every Saturday AM on satellite radio...just to get 'their' take on things, ya' know?

It is always interesting to get another perspective....and not hear the same liberal media slant every day.

Agreed! (Or conservative slant if it's Fox) To me, I see all American news as having the "corporate" slant, satisfying the advertisers. Some lean left or right, but they are all horribly biased toward the State and against the People.

I have said before that if you want to know the truth about American politics, check BBC News. If you want to know the truth about British politics, check CNN. :laugh: