naturally thin people

Options

Replies

• LauraBee96
    LauraBee96 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic! I was never a naturally thin person. I put on weight from puberty and never lost, not until this year (15 years post puberty).

Which means that I haven't been this weight since I was 12. Hm. Sounds sick when I put it that way.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As mentioned, basically all "naturally thin" people are just not overeating calories vs what they burn.
    Right. But some people naturally burn more than others.

Which most of those naturally thin people move a lot more than we think or eat less than you think. It's very common to under estimate your own calories and over estimate someone else.. it's part of human nature. If you saw my brother in law, you would think he is naturally skinny because he eats mcdonalds and cheesesteaks and drinks, but the fact is, he rarely eats breakfast, and when he does eat, it's generally a half of plate. Additionally, he walks a lot.

Again, I WAS one of those people and I live with one of those people. I know how much I moved and how much he moved.

so you tracked your calories as well as theirs?

BTW, i was naturally thin until junior year of college.. And if it makes you feel better, my wife thinks I have a tapeworm because she swears I can devourer anything. And while i do eat a lot, its the type of foods I am eating that don't add to high calories.

ps - during high school and most of college, it wasn't unusual for me to eat 3 big macs in one sitting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    BBC did a documentary on "skinny and fat" metabolisms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTr1JUvEiUU

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, basically all "naturally thin" people are just not overeating calories vs what they burn.

Which most of those naturally thin people move a lot more than we think or eat less than you think. It's very common to under estimate your own calories and over estimate someone else.. it's part of human nature. If you saw my brother in law, you would think he is naturally skinny because he eats mcdonalds and cheesesteaks and drinks, but the fact is, he rarely eats breakfast, and when he does eat, it's generally a half of plate. Additionally, he walks a lot.

Again, I WAS one of those people and I live with one of those people. I know how much I moved and how much he moved.

THIS. I was also one of those "naturally thin" people who hardly ever moved and ate taco bell, zaxbys, and chik fila for breakfast/lunch/dinner everyday. I didn't put weight on until I went through some major health issues and was put on countless meds/steroids, treatments for 6 months, and a few surgeries. after that i was put on BC which also contribued to it all.

So yeah -- some people are naturally thin without moving much and without eating healthy anything. They're out there -- living proof here. I also had a couple ex's that are this way as well. most of them drink on the weekends like their liver is untouchable and eat out almost every day. that's just life for some people.
  • Zombieinkpot
    Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    One of my sisters is very thin and has been all her life. She eats whatever she wants, but she eats very little food. She might have a slice of cake, but that would be her dinner. If she eats a relatively large meal, it might be the only thing she eats or she will eat less the next few days.

The other thing is that she is always active. She rarely sits, she stands most of the time and she doesn't stand still, she is always stretching and doing little exercises. She runs everywhere or walks really fast. She will jump up and down off things just for fun. I don't think she does any of this consciously, it is just part of who she is. If you look at pictures of her when she was a child, she is the one who is always doing a ballet pose (she didn't take classes) or dancing about while my other sisters are standing looking at the camera.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    All the 'naturally thin' people I knew had considerably smaller appetites than me. Like, we'd go to a restaurant and I'd have a starter, mains and dessert. They would struggle to just eat their mains. And they were people who left things on their plate when they were full. I was brought up to clear my plate every time!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The people who are "naturally thin" are the ones that picked up good eating habits or eat less meals (consuming less calories overall). There really is no such thing as naturally thin as you can't be the law of thermodynamics. Now, genetics can determine BMR to a certain extend but it's not going to be much greater than few hundred points.
    Eh.

I was one of those people and I ate A LOT and did not exercise. That changed when I was about 28-29, though.

My fiance, though, eats a gallon of ice cream a day, plus tons and tons of other food, doesn't worry about calories, barely exercises and is stick skinny.

Those people do actually exist.

Were you actively tracking your calories?

Just like people can not realize how many calories they're eating, people can also over-estimate how much they eat. Plus, the whole, "growing/developing" thing happening into the early 20s is a natural calorie burner that eventually ebbs.

Plus, your fiance (When did I miss you got engaged? Congrats!) could easily be one of those people who: "fidgets" more, does more when he's away from you than he realizes, and in general is a guy and/or has higher LBM.

Again, it's just hard to fight the science with sort of subjective viewing of, "Lots of food." What's "tons and tons" for one person might be a scant amount for another, and in turn, show why the "tons and tons" person remains slim while the other becomes overweight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I personally don't believe it. I used to think this way too and now see it as another convenient excuse. "Oh, she's so lucky to be naturally thin, why even bother trying to keep up". The only "natural" part of it is that these folks somehow figured out on their own how to balance their calories and activity in order to stay at a healthy weight instead of having to track and measure and schedule workouts, etc like many of the rest of us have to. Both of my best friends, my mother and several co-workers are like this. Seiously, my mother eats more ice cream than anyone else I know but aside from that she eats very little and is pretty active so she's able to maintain her weight without much effort. Hopefully one day, with continued practice towards bulding good eating habits, I will be so lucky!

This is the same argument as the obesity genetics debate IMHO. Yes, we're all different but with the exception of some rare instances, not to the extreme that causes obesity - maybe overweight, but not obese.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I think a lightbulb went on for me, once, when I was standing and talking with this woman I knew - a lovely-looking, healthy, very thin woman. As we stood and chatted, she was eating a tomato as a snack. I had never reached for a tomato when I needed a snack.
  • bbubble5
    bbubble5 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There are some genetic differences in metabolism, but I also think a lot of naturally thin people either eat less than it looks like, or exercise more than you realize. So a "naturally thin" person might have four pieces of pizza at a sitting, but that's about the only thing they eat that day. Or they have four pieces of pizza, and then they commute six miles on their bicycle. It's natural to them, but if you locked them in a room and fed them a high-calorie diet they'd gain weight just like anybody else.

that one ^^^ so True
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have a naturally thin friend who doesn't like anything healthy! But, the way she eats is so different from me: if she has a doughnut in front of her, she will eat a bite. Then 30 minutes later, another bite...etc. It's like she forgets it's there, and she might still have half a doughnut left 3 hours later. Put the same doughnut in front of me, and I will eat it in less than 2 minutes. I haven't spent an entire day with her to "see" how many calories she actually eats in a day, but I'm pretty sure it's overall less because of how slowly she eats, and how un-preoccupied with food she is.
  • klo1335
    Options
    I was actually thinking about posting something like this today. I work with 3 girls (they are 22, 23, & 26). The one who is 26 does exercise on e regular basis and eats pretty healthy. However, the 22 and 23 year old are so very skinny, eat whatever they want (i.e. donuts, bagels and cream cheese, cheese steaks and pizza, taco bell, and lots of alcohol) and they don't gain any weight. They don't exercise and sit pretty much all day long. I would say that they are naturally thin. When I was 23 I ate "whatever I wanted" but I had to exercise every single day for about an hour or two. Drives me nuts cause when they order pizza at work I want to eat some but I gain 5 pounds from just looking at it. While they have 3 slices each.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Some people do have a legitimate thyroid issue that allows them to eat more, but most people don't. These "naturally skinny" people just don't eat as much and/or they are a lot more active than "naturally fat" people.

One of my mom's employees, whom I've known for about 10 years, is one of those people who just seems to have great genes. She's tall and thin, and she eats candy ("junk" candy like Nerds and SweetTarts) and potato chips and drinks Dr Pepper all day long. But she doesn't eat breakfast, and my mom says all she ever eats at lunch is a small piece of meat, usually chicken or fish. It would be easy to assume that because she eats and drinks sugar and eats fried chips all day that she'd be fat, if not for her genes. But considering that she doesn't eat normal meals, those calories probably don't add up to anything significantly different from eating regular meals and laying off the candy and soda.

Last night, I ate an 8 oz steak, 10 oz of chicken, 2 slices of bacon, sweet potato fries, and an entire pint of ice cream. And that's a regular dinner for me. If someone came over to my place around dinner time, they'd assume I would be as big as a house if not for freakish genetics. But the big mystery is not that I'm a mutant; it's that I don't eat anything else all day. My dinner adds up to about 1600 calories and roughly a 35/30/35 ratio of protein/carbs/fat.

People take what they do see and ASSUME things about what they don't see.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Naturally thin is a thing. This was an interesting program -- even though some of the people physically couldn't eat all of the required food. If you don't have time to watch all of it if you start at about 45 minutes you'll get the end results as well as a depressing closing about keeping weight off.

Why Are Thin People Not Fat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAQr77QMJiw
  • Darkbite29
    Darkbite29 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well, as an Aussie, I would have to say age and genetics have a lot to do with your build. What we put in our bodies has a huge impact, but don't forget, how we process that input has a lot to do with where that food eventually goes. Either used as energy or waiting and piling it on the body. I was brought up on a cattle ranch, and was brought up to eat organic food. I left food on my plate all the time, but only ate when I was hungry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Unless there's a health issue or hormonal issue involved, those that believe people who are "naturally thin" will have to explain how these people stay lean while EXCEEDING their TDEE. It doesn't happen. They're thin for one reason, they burn off the calories they consume. Now whether it's due to exercise, N.E.A.T., drugs (yes there are people who use stimulants), or just a higher lean muscle/fat ratio would be the difference, but again observance of what you see them consuming (unless you're tallying every calorie they eat and knowing and counting calories they burn) is anecdotal. It's the same for people who think they have "slow metabolisms" (with the exception of hormonal or health issues as mentioned). People get fat by over consuming.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    BBC did a documentary on "skinny and fat" metabolisms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTr1JUvEiUU

IDEA Fitness member

This is a great video. I thought of it when I saw this thread.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    When I married my husband he was 6' and weighed 138 lbs, Yes you read that right. That man was skinny. He had a metabolism as they say. Well actually he didn't, his family are all thin as well. Here is what I observed:

My mother-in-law made a pound of pasta for 5, and it was more than enough. My mother made a pound of pasta for 4 as a side dish and we ate it all.
    My Sister-in-law walked in the house starving, ate 1/2 a sausage and she was full. Me I would have eaten 3 sausages.
    My husband would be hungry, not find food he liked to eat and just wouldn't eat. When I am hungry, there is always something that I will eat.
    My mother-in-law made a pan of Lasagna and each person ate one square. My house, a pan of Lasagna fed 3 people.
    My husband's home, food was not the center of everything. Food was important, but not the center. My house, food was the center of all social gatherings.

My husband was a smoker at that time and he always had Acid Reflux. He found out his stomach produces too much acid, which is what I think contributed to what we thought was a high metabolism. Before he controled the acid he had a very high tolerance to medication, alcohol, etc. Basically if a drug was take every 6 hours, it completely wore off in 4 for him. He also quick smoking. Between both those things he gained about 50 lbs. He also go older and less active.

So based on what I saw, thinner people naturally eat less food, even if it is high calorie. My MIL cooked steak in oil, husband ate 1/2. I cooked same steak, no added oil, he ate the whole steak. My husband does not ENJOY food the same way I do. He likes food, but he could live without it, he eats to live. I eat sometimes cause well its Pizza.

Thin people eat when they are hungry and stop eating when full, they also don't do comfort eating. When stressed they don't eat. It is the opposite for someone like me, I comfort eat, I eat when stressed, I eat when bored, etc. Not true for thin people.

FYI, my daughter is also thin. I have seen her eat 1200 calories in one sitting at age 5 and the next day eat only 120 calories for the day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

so you tracked your calories as well as theirs?

BTW, i was naturally thin until junior year of college.. And if it makes you feel better, my wife thinks I have a tapeworm because she swears I can devourer anything. And while i do eat a lot, its the type of foods I am eating that don't add to high calories.

ps - during high school and most of college, it wasn't unusual for me to eat 3 big macs in one sitting.

I know what the calories were in the foods I used to eat, so I have a pretty good idea of how much I was eating. It wasn't unusual for me to polish off a small pizza and an order of wings on my own in one sitting. That's about triple the calories I eat now. I wore a size 6.

If you look in my photos here, there is a picture of me in a red ball gown. That is how I ate at the time I wore that dress. I also did not exercise near as much as I do now, nor did I move more in general.

I have a very good idea of how many calories are in the fast food and ice cream my fiance scarfs down every day, as well.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've always been slender so I suppose I fit the description for "naturally thin." Looking at my own personal experience, I can pretty easily point to genetics and learned behavior toward food from my folks. My mom was quite a bit smaller than I am now at 5'6'' and 107lbs up until she had kids. Like her, I will lose a whole lot of weight in a very short time if I drop the slightest bit below the necessary calories to live. So that bit I'd say is definitely genetic! However, that's paired with having grown up with a healthy approach toward food. I spent a chunk of my time growing up overseas where food is something to certainly enjoy, but in moderation and as a luxury, not an emotional crutch. My folks never used food as a reward either so I grew up looking to engage in active experiences such as going to a sports event or spending time with friends instead of turning to food.

Just me $0.02 from my own experience :flowerforyou: