Obese friend's Christmas gift.....stumped

Options
1235»

Replies

• BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Ok, I see the error in my thinking.

Sorry to offend. Sorry for my question. Sorry you are offended. And, thank for helping me see a different side of the coin.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Do they make plants or flowers for obese people? A nice poinsettia is always a good choice.

Are they the same for skinny people? Especially ones that make Paris Hilton look fat?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Do they make plants or flowers for obese people? A nice poinsettia is always a good choice.

Are they the same for skinny people? Especially ones that make Paris Hilton look fat?

eu de Mcrib or toilette water twinkie that's more of a gourmand fragrance while the McRib is oriental and spicy
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    And somewhere on a message board a woman is asking, "What gift should I get for the formerly skinny lady that thinks she's my friend?"
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why you are stumped and what her weight has to do with anything. If she is your friend, then you must know her interests (which I am sure go beyond food and weight). How about you buy her something that she would enjoy?

This...
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    I was very skinny, but not in a good way. I thougth about it, and I think I'll just ask to take her out. There's a live theater with a good show playing, and a trendy new watering hole. Time and relationships are what Christmas is about. It hurts that you all continue to misread who I am, but you have made me question my own motives, thoughts, and feelings about my friend and how I look at her. And, for that there is good. Merry Christmas (or Happy Everything) to all of you.

Please as part of your gift, pay for her sitter....you said she's a single Mom. Night outs are expensive for those who have to hire sitter or even a hassle to look for one. Have that be part of your gift along with the play. And more important, make sure this is a play *she* would enjoy. :flowerforyou: If it gets to be too much, my GF and I always get together & go get Pedi's for our birthdays (we don't exchange at Christmas, budgeting gets to be so silly).
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    God forbid she decide to do something about her weight, find this website, and see this thread...
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I think the OP should print out this entire thread and present it to 'Obese friend' as the gift. Then she won't have to worry about buying her gifts anymore.

Omg...Have you seen OP's profile? :laugh:

ETA: And OP, I hope you aren't teaching your son to discriminate and label people like you are doing.

Whoa! Why did we go after her parenting skills and child. A bit uncalled for.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    God forbid she decide to do something about her weight, find this website, and see this thread...
    Right?
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced she understands why her thinking is ****ed up. She's just sorry the words came out wrong. There is no back pedaling. Anything she continues to say will make it worse, dig her in a deeper hole. I'd feel pretty crappy knowing my friend of twenty years feels the need to point out that I'm obese and that makes a difference in what she does for me.

Seriously, there's no fixing f*ucked up thinking.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I want to give my friend a Christmas gift. She is a very good friend. She is large, and on the larger side of large. We completely avoid the weight issue in our relationship together. I want to avoid anythng weight related in the gift - whether it encourages food or encourages weight loss.

In the past, I bought her a purse and wallet. I picked up a Christmas card and movie tickets. Any ideas? Super nice blankets?

You do not sound like a good friend. Why are you even asking for advice in this forum describing her as obese? Her weight is not relevant. If you really wanted advice you should have described her interests instead of her weight.

Buy her something related to her hobbies or interests, which you should be well aware of as her "good friend"
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I wish the op would at least link us to the gift guide for fatties. I'm sure it's fascinating reading.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I want to give my friend a Christmas gift. She is a very good friend. She is large, and on the larger side of large. We completely avoid the weight issue in our relationship together. I want to avoid anythng weight related in the gift - whether it encourages food or encourages weight loss.

In the past, I bought her a purse and wallet. I picked up a Christmas card and movie tickets. Any ideas? Super nice blankets?

Is this the same friend you were talking about in this thread? If so how do you think you would feel if she knew you were posting this online?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817132-i-love-smoking?page=3

" I don't smoke, but my best friend is a chain smoker. I wish she would quit. I worry that she will die, and I will lose a good friend. She's 51 years old. Her teeth are not just yellow, they are brown. Her skin is so bad, the wrinkles are crevaces. Now, she has cataracts and thinks it's just 'getting old.' She's all into 'designer' clothes and 'sparkle' and 'high heels', but she honestly is going to look terrible when she gets a humped back and totes an oxygen caddy behind her....much less how bad the teeth and skin look now. I bug her once a year, and she doesn't listen. She thinks smoking is a fashion statement."
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Okay, I wonder if I was the only one that noticed the "stumped" part...
    Just sayin'...
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    What does she do in her free time?

Sounds like she eats.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I totally get it OP! I have a friend with a lisp and I am always at a loss as to what to get her for Christmas.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why you are stumped and what her weight has to do with anything. If she is your friend, then you must know her interests (which I am sure go beyond food and weight). How about you buy her something that she would enjoy?

This
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I thought about this alot this morning. I figured out that I am judgmental. I judge most, those who I spend more time with. The answers of why and how to change are going to have to work on, as I've not thought enough on them.

I am listening to the TV, and the shows & commercials are on fat. We have become an anti-fat culture. TV tells us that fat is bad. Mrs. Obama has a war on childhood obesity. Fat means lazy, out of control, emotional issues, higher medical costs, earlier death. No wonder I perceive normal weight as better. But, quests for perfection makes me super mad. I came from the world of figure skating and grew up/left a "religion" social psychologists say is a cult. I know how hard it is to be judged, and expected to be perfect. Now, as you all pointed out, I am doing that to a friend.

I feel both pity and empathy for my friend. Pity is a terrible thing, I've come to conclude. It allows me to elavate myself. I usually just listen alot to my friends. I don't say much on the real issues. I try to talk small talk. But, all the time I am thinking, "Gee, I wish they could change. I wish I could help her change". When she does take a step in the right direction, I realize now that I've said the wrong thing. "Gee, glad you joined a gym. How do you like it?" It's kind of like when I was young and had eating issues, and people said, "Gee, glad you ate a meal." That's the wrong message because it assumes that she wasn't ok before the gym and going to the gym is going to make her better. I see now that that is how all of society is, changing people to the world's ideal. The whole health issues she's been dealing with these past four months has forced both of us to confront her weight issue. I am more "on my toes" that I say encouraging things. I was so mad at her previous doctor who dissed heart issues in favor of antibiotics. I was basically yelling at her that several months of antibiotics are not good for her and to see another doctor. The new doctor is getting down to business. But, "normal: weight people also have health issues. I just started taking simvistatin (which I want to get changed next visit), and wouldn't want anyone to pity me. I am no better. Back to pity. I volunteer as much as I can for groups that try to save children/people from high control situations (think cult and domestic abuse). I usually feel sad (i.e. pity) the people I am working with. I thought it was becuase I had a big heart and my background. But, now I see a sinister side. Perhaps I volunteer to try to help them get out and upwards. But, in helping them get upwards, I am admitting that they are down (and I am up). These people have to walk the same road out that I did. And, I can't deny them that walk because they will grow from it. When I realize that, I can only empahize (not pity) them.

Given my friend's new situation, I was at a loss of what to get her. I feel that this is a special Christmas becuase of what she's been through. So, I wanted the gift to be super nice. So, I googled. The "advice" I first read was not that great. Someone wanted the link, so here it is. http://www.celebrations360.com/index.php/gifts-for-a-fat-girl-6247/ There are others, that all seem to base the gift on either losing weight or loving the weight. That's the world that we live in. I usually know what to get people who are close to me, but this year & for this person I was really at a loss.

Now, why am I critical of people closest to me? Well, I think that's human nature. My sister will tell me stuff that no one else will. But, I thank all of you for telling me something. Again, I listen. But, now, how to change and the long road ahead. Well, now I know what my New Year's Resolution will be! I will not judge people closest, not judge hastily, and not to post any of my personal dilemas becuase that is a break in trust.

By the way, "Eating for Gold" is my motto I say to myself whenever I sit down for a meal. I now view food as fuel, and enjoy eating good foods that nourish me. I think alot of us have that in common, whether we are coming from the skinny or fat side of life.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I still don't see what any of that has to do with buying a Christmas present.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke? I didn't read the replies.

Nice friend only looking at her as the "obese friend". :huh: