3 questions for Ladies who Lift...

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    bicep curls?? you mean chin ups?

seriously, i used to scoff at the guys at my gym that were there obviously for bicep curl day. i mean, these guys would destroy their biceps with all manner of curls, and you could tell they were there fresh off the street.

my arms were looking pretty good from overhead press, chest press, dips, pull ups and chin ups. hell, even doing dead lifts work out your arms.

but it got me thinking, and i looked into it. mark rippetoe basically says that if your work out is your meal, then the meat and potatoes of it is your compound lifts and other exercises that make the use out of the most muscles. bicep curls are like dessert, and are at the end of your work out if you have time and energy.

also, if your biceps are too big, and your triceps don't match, it can give your chest a droopy appearance.

triceps > biceps
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You are at risk for elbow (and shoulder) problems by benching. Doing iso tri work can help mitigate some of that.

Oh, no sweat. Part of my assistance work is high rep, low weight benching & pressing. My elbows should be fine.

Unless I'm missing something, that's got to be better than drilling away at my tris with pulldowns.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've contemplated added bicep curls into my routine for mainly vanity reasons but then I wonder if I should also do triceps then, and yeah, ain't nobody got time for that...
    Strong triceps stronger bench. I don't do much with bis but will always make time fro tris :)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I've contemplated added bicep curls into my routine for mainly vanity reasons but then I wonder if I should also do triceps then, and yeah, ain't nobody got time for that...
    Strong triceps stronger bench. I don't do much with bis but will always make time fro tris :)

You don't find that your tri's are strong enough already?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

No
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    INteresting
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    LOL at everyone who doesn't curl or fly. Remember people, accessory work is also good for you. I like to hit my compounds first and then finish out the fatigue with accessory/iso work. My strength has increased quite well in my compound lifts with a combination of both.

Curl - 30-35lb dumbbells, 45-60lb barbells
    Fly - 25-35lb dumbbells
    Lifting - Consistently since 9/2011

Good grief, this place is full of hot heads.

Please allow me first, to point out, I am a female. Second, I LOL'd at people stating they don't do bicep curls or flies as if they aren't important. It's accessory/ISO work, and accessory/ISO work is important. Whatever form you chose, that's your business.

You'll notice I stated I do compounds first, and then fully fatigue my muscles with accessory/ISO work. That being said, I do have a dedicated arm day because I have the time to have a dedicated arm day and I enjoy them fully. The OP specifically asked about our curl and fly numbers. If she wanted to know about our compound numbers, she would have asked.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

No. Bench is a weak lift for me and stronger tris help me power through my sticking point. All I can say about my bench is that I'm a good deadlifter.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Strong triceps stronger bench.

QFT.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    triceps > biceps

truth!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    LOL at everyone who doesn't curl or fly. Remember people, accessory work is also good for you. I like to hit my compounds first and then finish out the fatigue with accessory/iso work. My strength has increased quite well in my compound lifts with a combination of both.

Fly - 25-35lb dumbbells

Good grief, this place is full of hot heads.

Please allow me first, to point out, I am a female. Second, I LOL'd at people stating they don't do bicep curls or flies as if they aren't important. It's accessory/ISO work, and accessory/ISO work is important. Whatever form you chose, that's your business.

You'll notice I stated I do compounds first, and then fully fatigue my muscles with accessory/ISO work. That being said, I do have a dedicated arm day because I have the time to have a dedicated arm day and I enjoy them fully. The OP specifically asked about our curl and fly numbers. If she wanted to know about our compound numbers, she would have asked.

I do iso work.

I think the issue is that numbers don't matter with it. What matters is that you do it. Substantially more so than with compound lifts, with accessory work you can yeild as good or greater benefit with numbers FAR below your RM.

You can bench 405 and still see a benefit from 35-40 lb flyes.
  • Cranquistador
    Options

Fly - 25-35lb dumbbells

lol at someone thinking you need to curl or fly to meet your goals and that someone does not do assistance work if they do not do flys or curls.
    this
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    The poster LOLing is female.

Son of a bi... could we please keep the profile images to something a little more traditionally gender specific so this doesn't keep happening to me?! LMAO

Edit: Wait... why DID I think that was a dude? Whatever, workout what you like lol. Just make sure your focus is on compound movements, the truely heavy and important ones.
    It really doesnt matter what gender they are anyway. We are discussing lifting.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the body is a system, and needs to be treated as such

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/rippetoe_goes_off&cr=
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    bicep curls?? you mean chin ups?

seriously, i used to scoff at the guys at my gym that were there obviously for bicep curl day. i mean, these guys would destroy their biceps with all manner of curls, and you could tell they were there fresh off the street.

my arms were looking pretty good from overhead press, chest press, dips, pull ups and chin ups. hell, even doing dead lifts work out your arms.

but it got me thinking, and i looked into it. mark rippetoe basically says that if your work out is your meal, then the meat and potatoes of it is your compound lifts and other exercises that make the use out of the most muscles. bicep curls are like dessert, and are at the end of your work out if you have time and energy.

also, if your biceps are too big, and your triceps don't match, it can give your chest a droopy appearance.

triceps > biceps

bill.gif
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Tons of interesting info. I do appreciate the responses. Now I have a better idea of what to expect as far as goal weights in different areas. I realize each individual needs to work with their body and progress at their own rate. I will be adding more compound movements for a base as well. I do like the curls and flyes and rows etc. It sounds like balance is a great thing to incorporate all the way around. Thanks everyone!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Tons of interesting info. I do appreciate the responses. Now I have a better idea of what to expect as far as goal weights in different areas. I realize each individual needs to work with their body and progress at their own rate. I will be adding more compound movements for a base as well. I do like the curls and flyes and rows etc. It sounds like balance is a great thing to incorporate all the way around. Thanks everyone!

I'd suggest against aiming to lift a specific amount of weight for isolation exercises.
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    more of a finesse thing than a power thing?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    more of a finesse thing than a power thing?

Basically, yes. Isolation work is good, by all means do it. But don't worry if you're not curling 72.512412 lbs after 10.16125 weeks of training, it doesn't matter. With compound movements weight on the bar really matters, not so much with accessory work.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I don't curl or fly. I do compound lifts (squat, bench, dead, press, and clean) and have been doing them since March.