Attacked by Pit Bulls!!!

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Any animal expert will tell you that if any animal attacks anything, something provoked it. That does not mean that what/whoever was attacked deserved it, but thyey did something (most likely completely unaware) to cause the negative reaction in the animal. It doesn't make the animal bad. You should always take precautions around any animal, regardless of size and species. And if you are the owner, it is your responsibility to handle any behavior issues you're aware of. I have 2 pit bulls. My female thinks anything breathing is her new best friend. She's completely harmless (not to say that something couldn't happen but it is HIGHLY unlikely). However, my male, who is considerably larger, is a big scaredy-dog. Some kids scared him with firecrackers when he was a puppy, and he does not like small children. I once brought both dogs with me to watch some friends play a game of football. I let one of my friends hold the female's leash, and I held the male. We stayed away from the rest of people there. Eventually some women came over with their kids asking if the kids could pet them. I told them they were welcome to pet the female, but not the male, and I walked him away from them.

Sometimes, that something can be "they simply exist" ... you got a jumpy enough dog, a fart could provoke an attack.
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    There are no hostile dogs, only hostile owners. Too many pitbulls are brought up in a cruel way to be fighting dogs : (:( it's terrible. you can find pictures of little pitbull puppies being tortured so they grow up being hostile fighting dogs. SOOO SADDDD (huge dog lover here....makes me tear up just thinking about it....)

I used to have a pit bull. She was a sweetheart. The most loyal dog you will ever have. The only time she got even a little bit aggressive is if we were too loud around my baby cousin (she was soooo protective of the baby!)

I firmly believe that there are vicious pit bulls because they were brought up that way. People think they are tough looking so breed them to be fighters. So sad.
  • wrentrotter
    Options
    So, I take my Pit Bull and Labrador for walks. The neighbor kids play with my dogs. Then the neighbor's little Chihuahuas come outside and all hell breaks loose. Those two little things thing decide that my two big dogs must die and those are the two tiny things are up for the job. I have to take my dogs inside every time because the owner things it's funny how these little things are trying to take on my big dogs and she doesn't keep them on a leash. She doesn't understand dogs very well. The problem is if my two dogs decide to defend me and themselves from those two ankle biters I will be the one getting in trouble because of the kind of dog I have.

You have it exactly right. Just because of the breed of your dog, it will be blamed no matter the circumstances. I've witnessed it time and again and that's why I raise my voice in defence of "dangerous" breeds. Even before I ever owned a Pitbull, I never met a mean one, but I certainly did see them protect their family and it was justified. However, bad owners treating dogs badly is what must be addressed. And little dogs that misbehave? Not acceptable any more than for any other breed. At all. Any dog that is aggressive or bites is not "cute". You should start reporting every time those dogs come at you off leash. At least then you might have some recourse if your dog finally loses patience with them.

This is kind of ridiculous really. A little dog isn't going to kill her dogs, it might irritate them, it might provoke them, but it isn't going to kill them. it is actually more acceptable, because they can't bite your face off! She actually says if her dogs decide to attack, like she has no control over their decisions, because she doesn't really. If they decide to attack, they will, and she will be in trouble because they are more likely to kill something if they decide to attack, a lot more likely than the other way around. People with little dogs don't have to be so worried about their dogs attacking because its highly unlikely they will do any real damage if they do. They shouldn't think its funny, but their little fur balls aren't going to kill anything.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Sorry, lots are gonna hate me for this, but someone in the city I live in died this week because of a pitbull dog attack.Not just her, but her unborn baby too. These dogs may look cute, but they are not meant to be pets.

Hate me, argue, whatever, you will not change my mind because someone has died at the hands of dangerous dogs, not the first and will not be the last.

Not meant to be pets? They were originally bred to protect children... Friggin ignorance at it's best.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I love the ignore user button

so peaceful.:flowerforyou:
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am scared of these dogs, I can't help it. I'm not scared of yorkshire terriers, chihuahuas etc even though I know the smaller breeds probably bite a whole lot more. The thing is if a yorkshire terrier turns, it isn't going to bite your face off. These things could actually bite your face off.

I agree to a point. If I see a loose pit on the streets, I am less likely to see if it has a tag or contact info than I am if I see a smaller breed out. The reason isn't because it's a pit and all pits are killers. It's because I don't know how this dog has been raised and I don't know how it has been treated and a pit is large enough to hurt me where as a smaller dog can cause less damage.

Pit Bulls don't scare me because of the breed. I'm scared because I don't know it's history or if it has responsable owners. With the right owner, a pit bull can be the best dog you ever own. Lazy owners who can't take the time to propperly raise their dogs cause the whole stereotype.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Sorry, lots are gonna hate me for this, but someone in the city I live in died this week because of a pitbull dog attack.Not just her, but her unborn baby too. These dogs may look cute, but they are not meant to be pets.

Hate me, argue, whatever, you will not change my mind because someone has died at the hands of dangerous dogs, not the first and will not be the last.
    I went and read the article:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2521254/Leeds-woman-killed-dogs-home.html
    Sad, but I have to wonder at the wisdom of people who thought it was wise to leave a pregnant, epileptic mother of 4 alone with a dog they knew was vicious and that they had tried to sell because of its aggression and that is a banned breed in that area. There is always more to the story.

Exactly. It's not like the dogs were sitting around and said, "Yo. Let's go take us down a human" They were the pets of someone who was irresponsible in their training and care.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

I went and read the article:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2521254/Leeds-woman-killed-dogs-home.html
    Sad, but I have to wonder at the wisdom of people who thought it was wise to leave a pregnant, epileptic mother of 4 alone with a dog they knew was vicious and that they had tried to sell because of its aggression and that is a banned breed in that area. There is always more to the story.

Exactly. It's not like the dogs were sitting around and said, "Yo. Let's go take us down a human" They were the pets of someone who was irresponsible in their training and care.

^This!
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    funny-pictures-pitbull-fight.jpg

Came in thinking I was gonna have to throat punch someone. Love my pibbles:) My sweet Pete is pictured in my ticker.
    P.S. Love this and totally borrowing it!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    funny-pictures-pitbull-fight.jpg

Came in thinking I was gonna have to throat punch someone. Love my pibbles:) My sweet Pete is pictured in my ticker.
    P.S. Love this and totally borrowing it!

I had never heard "pibble" until I was invited to the Million Pibble March in DC. I'm gonna be there!
  • rvhorsburgh
    rvhorsburgh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok - ya got me - SUB WOOFERS! HA!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Pitbull_Cat_Chicks2.jpg
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Not meant to be pets? They were originally bred to protect children... Friggin ignorance at it's best.

Thank you for writing what most people refuse to see....they were used as nanny dogs before the dog-fighting bs came about.

I have one. Our dog absolutely adores my 3 year old. My moose of a child can run full force into my dog, lay on her, pull her across the kitchen by her tail(playing, not meanly), and lay beside her while she is eating...and our dog gets wiggly butt happy during all that. She sleeps at the foot of his bed. They adore each other. She's a snuggly face-licker. We have an amazing dog.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm a pitbull fan, but I have always heard the nanny dog stuff was a myth....

Found this as well.

http://thetruthaboutpitbulls.blogspot.com/2010/08/nanny-dog-myth-revealed.html
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Found this as well.

Yeah, I heard it was a myth, also. And I'm going to share a pic of one of our newest rescues. If I could have another dog, I would've taken her home with me. She just wanted everyone to love on her, but she wasn't a fan of getting her pic taken. She has scars on her face, but even after a rough past life, she's still a big lovebug. Look, she's about to eat that girl's face!

7cf0a204-aa76-40f3-9b02-0b22752027a7_zps8f955b7c.jpg
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

Found this as well.

Yeah, I heard it was a myth, also. And I'm going to share a pic of one of our newest rescues. If I could have another dog, I would've taken her home with me. She just wanted everyone to love on her, but she wasn't a fan of getting her pic taken. She has scars on her face, but even after a rough past life, she's still a big lovebug. Look, she's about to eat that girl's face!

7cf0a204-aa76-40f3-9b02-0b22752027a7_zps8f955b7c.jpg

She's beautiful! Love her sweet face!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I am scared of these dogs, I can't help it. I'm not scared of yorkshire terriers, chihuahuas etc even though I know the smaller breeds probably bite a whole lot more. The thing is if a yorkshire terrier turns, it isn't going to bite your face off. These things could actually bite your face off.

Smaller breeds aren't more prone to biting. Owners of smaller breeds just don't bother to correct bad behavior because it's "cute and funny". Big dog owners don't play that because history has shown what a few bad owners(or wild/abandoned dogs) can do for a breed.

The simple fact is (speaking from over 10 years behavior consultation experience) that toy breeds are much more likely to bite a person in the face because the owner is always carrying them. And unfortunately I've recommended in 10 years that only 1 pit/bully breed be euthanized while countless toy breeds be euthanized for biting children, I won't even go into the "safe" breeds.

Please continue the cuteness programming.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The problem with APBTs is that they have turned into a novelty thug stereotype and have been bread in ridiculously high numbers. APBTs really do need more care and more active/better owners than your average dog as they are super energetic and need lots of exercise. Unfortunately, back yard breeders don't care about that so they sell to whoever is willing to buy them.

I totally agree with this! I know what great amazing dogs pits can be, but I constantly see them ending up with the wrong type of owners.. the kinds of people who use them as a status symbol to make them look "hard", always using a huge chain around the dogs neck and chaining him in the front or back yard, only to see it twice a day (maybe) at feedings. its so sad :(

I have some friends who breed pit bulls and have always owned them and they're so awesome with the dogs. Then I know a few other people who buy the dogs from the bad side of our town and put spiked collars on them and let them run free with no leashes or anything, kicking them or yelling at them when they get into garbage cans or want attention from their owner.

These things happen with other breeds too obviously, but it's so sad to see pits mistreated this way and then called monsters. Humans are the monsters, not dogs.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options

They should be put down before they become adults, pit-bulls are dangerous and not trustworthy.
    Theres always one that is consumed by pure ignorance.....

It's not ignorance, it's factual evidence of brutal attacks

What is ignorant are people who refuse to educate themselves on a subject and who tend to rely on scapegoats to blame for their carelessness and irresponsibility rather than be accountable for their actions and decisions.

An animal that has fighting in it's blood, I will give you the fact that the owner is slightly to blame but you can't fully take out the vicious nature of the breed!

Name one damn animal that doesn't have "fighting in its blood"...aka SURVIVAL INSTINCT.

any animal will attack if feeling threatened. PitBulls just get the bad rap because of all the careless breeding for vicious sport that us humans think are fun to watch, (not me) so yeah, lets blame the dog and not the humans, you're an idiot Beta-ray-bill!
    I suppose you are the type that like to blames everything on anyone else but yourself!

Parents kill their own children. Babysitters have murdered the babies they've been hired to care for. Condemning dogs, any breed, because of a few isolated incidents is ignorant.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sigh. I really liked how this thread started though :flowerforyou: