The "Fast" Diet

Options

Replies

• kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Worked well for me. Overtime, I naturally ate less on my non-fast days. Many find that once you fast a few times, you're not as hungry on the other days. The forum mentioned above is great for info and support.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Only on MFP can someone seriously say "go away Troll" is considered an act of kindness! And they were being nice.

Opps, sorry OP. Lots of info on this. Lots of us have tried it. And had success. And not. Just another way to manage "calories in and calories out" successfully.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm super against fasting in any form to lose weight. Your metabolism slows down when you don't eat enough food which typically ranges around at least 1100-1300 per day or depending on your size and how much weight you're wanting to lose. (The more you have to lose, the more calories you need in order to keep your body from entering starvation mode). Sounds counter productive to me.

sorry this is wrong…

plenty of people use 5:2, IF, lean gains etc, have great results, and are absolutely shredded.

You would have to fast for 72 hours to go into Starvation mode. The three fasts that I mentioned do not suggest that…

and it does not matter how much you weight..eat nothing for 72 hours you will be in starvation mode..eat 1000 a day you are not in starvation mode...
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    You would have to fast for 72 hours to go into Starvation mode. The three fasts that I mentioned do not suggest that…

and it does not matter how much you weight..eat nothing for 72 hours you will be in starvation mode..eat 1000 a day you are not in starvation mode...
    [/quote]

I don't know that I would categorize what happens after 72 hours as "starvation mode" how is that for balanced?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I don't know that I would categorize what happens after 72 hours as "starvation mode" how is that for balanced?
    [/quote]

Starvation mode is a myth & that's all. 72 hours will not put you in it.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Started 5:2 in July.

Transitioned to 6:1 in November/December. Lost about thirty pounds total. BMI went from 25.1 (was just hitting that O/W mark) to 20.7.

I actually found 5:2 easier to do but I guess because I had a goal and really wanted to get there. I plan on doing this indefinitely, as it has been a lifestyle change. I like to eat low calories on one day and use those calories to stuff my face one day per week. (Like the weekend.) I pay attention to weekly calories though and even though they recommend 500 calories on fast days for women, I do 600 because I feel like it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

umm it is pretty much accepted that not eating for 72 hours straight will put you into initial stages of starvation mode….
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Two things.

1. your metabolism will not slow down if you eat little or nothing for one day. It takes much longer for that process to take effect.

2. eating "normal" means eating at maintenance. For most overweight people, "normal" is actually above maintenance, which is why they have gained weight. Bottom line, you still have to count calories. You can't just eat whatever you want on the non-fast days.

Best answer here. Can we just close the thread, now?
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm super against fasting in any form to lose weight. Your metabolism slows down when you don't eat enough food which typically ranges around at least 1100-1300 per day or depending on your size and how much weight you're wanting to lose. (The more you have to lose, the more calories you need in order to keep your body from entering starvation mode). Sounds counter productive to me.

Go away, troll.

Fasting/Intermittent fasting is fantastic. Anyone who thinks humans are actually MEANT to eat every day is misguided.

ETA: Science. Your body will not begin to have a "starvation response" until you have gone 4-5 days with no food whatsoever. Days 2 and 3 of ZERO food, your resting metabolism will actually be running about 30% FASTER than normal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717

:heart: :flowerforyou:
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Two things.

1. your metabolism will not slow down if you eat little or nothing for one day. It takes much longer for that process to take effect.

2. eating "normal" means eating at maintenance. For most overweight people, "normal" is actually above maintenance, which is why they have gained weight. Bottom line, you still have to count calories. You can't just eat whatever you want on the non-fast days.

:flowerforyou: well said

i do agree with the poster that mentioned it can trigger "binge eating" issues in those that are prone - this also known as the 5:2 diet BTW -
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in any kind of Diet !
  • smc864
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting... there are a couple different ways to do it though.

I use the 16/8 approach. I fast for 16 hours a day and have an 8 hour eating window. I eat from 12-8pm. And then on Mondays I fast for 24 hours.

Please disregard any comments on "starvation mode". It's a myth and the metabolic processes that happen during a fast are quite the contrary. As stated previously, in the first 48 hours of a fast your metabolism actually increases up to 30%.

Do some research on the different types of IF and then give it a shot. I use the Leangains approach:

www.leangains.com

He has a free guide on the website!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I tried it and by the second fast day I was starving and would binge. I do IF daily now, with an eating window from noon to 10 pm. This best fits my lifestyle since I've never liked breakfast and I like going to bed full. 5:2 works, but if you want to, check out www.leangains.com, as well.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I use the 16/8 approach. I fast for 16 hours a day and have an 8 hour eating window. I eat from 12-8pm. And then on Mondays I fast for 24 hours.

Please disregard any comments on "starvation mode". It's a myth and the metabolic processes that happen during a fast are quite the contrary. As stated previously, in the first 48 hours of a fast your metabolism actually increases up to 30%.

Do some research on the different types of IF and then give it a shot. I use the Leangains approach:

www.leangains.com

even the lean gains site says that you will go into starvation mode if you eat nothing for 72 hours..

I did lean gains for a year so I am not bashing it..I am just saying that you can go into starvation mode if you starve yourself and eat nothing for a prolonged period of time..

starvation mode as used on the threads, like "I did not eat breakfast, I am in starvation mode" is a myth; however, not eating anything for over 72 hours will put you into starvation mode.
  • smc864
    Options

www.leangains.com

even the lean gains site says that you will go into starvation mode if you eat nothing for 72 hours..

I did lean gains for a year so I am not bashing it..I am just saying that you can go into starvation mode if you starve yourself and eat nothing for a prolonged period of time..

starvation mode as used on the threads, like "I did not eat breakfast, I am in starvation mode" is a myth; however, not eating anything for over 72 hours will put you into starvation mode.

I am not disputing that after a prolonged time, say 72 hours, you will have a starvation response. But when did I say that I fast for that long? I never go longer than 24 hours.

Perhaps I should have clarified... Starvation mode, as most define it, is a myth. Fasting for 24 hours will not cause you to go into "starvation mode" but prolonged fasting will. Is that better my dear? :wink:
  • msharp23
    Options
    Yes i have heard of it
    And yes i tried it..and it worked.whatever people may think..its not for everyone..try it and see what you think.
    In the past i would eat mindlessly or if i was bored etc but the 2 days a week fast gave me sone control and i liked the routne of having 2 days only where i would eat less.
    I stopped eating that way and have been doing 8 hour fast each day but im thinking of doing 5:2 again.
    If it works 4 u great..if not..try something else.

I've just started 5:2. I plan to try it for a month or two and see if it's for me. I figure the holidays are a great time to do this as I'd rather have days that I have do maintenance (holiday parties) and other days to recover from them!

The boredom/mindless eating is what I was most aware of yesterday during my first fast day. I realized how many times throughout the day I reach for a snack when I'm not even hungry. I can already tell that this awareness might be a better side effect than any weight loss.

I definitely agree though that this is probably not a good plan for someone who struggles with binge eating. I can see where this might create a dangerous situation! I don't binge eat (unless someone puts a mushroom pizza in front of me) and I caught myself already today thinking I had some kind of "free pass".
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    When I tried it, it triggered my old binging behaviours and I have been struggling to get that under control for months afterwards.

Sure, try it, but just be aware it's not for everyone and of the people I have talked to who have done it the men had more success with it than the women, and most (9 out of 12) of the women who tried it put on weight!! (I collected information from 14 men and 12 women at work when researching this lifestyle option.)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ohhhhhhhhhh the poster I quoted left? Now it looks like I was the one who typed that out? I posted "Starvation mode is a myth & that's all. 72 hours will not put you in it." and nothing more.:grumble:
  • ndj1979
    Options

[/quote]

Ohhhhhhhhhh the poster I quoted left? Now it looks like I was the one who typed that out? I posted "Starvation mode is a myth & that's all. 72 hours will not put you in it." and nothing more.:grumble:
    [/quote]

well it is pretty much accepted that eating nothing for 72 hours will put you into initial stages of starvation mode...

starvation mode is very real ..just go take a tour of any third world country ..Africa, being one of them..
  • smc864
    Options
    How did I know that this was going to turn into a starvation mode debate?

Starvation mode is a myth. End of story.