A bit frustrated - weight gain question

Options
I was eating 1200 calories daily and losing weight. That was for the first month of using MFP. I increased my calories to 1340 so that I had some room to eat a bit more if I was hungry and now I am gaining weight. I am using an app that uses my daily weight to average out what I actually weigh so I am not freaking out over the weight on the scale. In fact, I prefer to weigh myself daily.

The thing is that I have gained 1-2 pounds since increasing my calorie intake. Last week I struggled to eat enough daily - I couldn't even make it to 1200 calories. It seemed like every time I went to eat something I already felt like I had eaten a whole meal so I was basically forcing myself to eat something just to get the calories in but I didn't do anything that made me feel sick or anything like that. I wasn't drinking enough water either. I am doing better this week though. I can't increase my exercise for health reasons and have just now been given the go ahead to use the gym for water aerobics/aquafit so I am going to be starting that next week (was going to go today but the weather has been crap)

Am I gaining because my body is adjusting to the new calorie increase or should I be going back down to 1200 again? I am assuming that I need to give this some time and see what my body does so I am happy to do that but I need some pointers or reassurance from someone know what I mean?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring all of your food? Are you stuffing yourself on lettuce, broccoli and steamed fish? 1200 calories is not hard to achieve if you get out of the mindset of diet foods and with 75 lbs to lose it's doubtful that you are gaining weight on 1200 or 1300 calories. More likely you're under estimating food somewhere. Small weight changes happen all the time. It's the reason you shouldn't weight daily or multiple times a day. Pick one day, one time, once per week and stick with it. Monitor your changes from there.
  • slgthatsme
    Options
    I am not eating "health" food specifically. A friend on my account mentioned that I might be under estimating my intake so yes, weighing things is definitely going to happen. I find that weighing once a week is a problem for me. Specifically because I will choose that day to weigh and see a number that is considerably higher on the scale than I expect. I find that weighing daily and averaging out the weight with the app works better for me emotionally. I don't worry about the number on the scale as much because I can look at the average throughout the week. I wasn't getting concerned until I was consistently weighing heavier and the average number was staying at around 221-222lbs

I am not usually struggling to get in the 1200 calories either - last week was just a strange one. I just couldn't eat enough no matter what it was unless I was eating junk foods. I simply didn't have any appetite.