Topamax-losing weight rapidly...

Options

Replies

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I also have bipolar disorder and have been taking an antiseizure drug for several years for it. Lamictal. I have been the most stable I've ever been while on this drug.

Slightly off topic, but I'm on lamictal for seizures. I've had no noticable mood effects from it, although I did feel a bit sleepier when I was on too high a dose. Does anyone know how it works for seizures without affecting mood, but it works for bipolar without affecting seizure activity?

p.s. for those who don't know, too much medication can cause seizures in epilepsy, as well as too little, apparently.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I've been on Topomax for about 3 years - for migraines. I was getting 15+ migraines a month - horrible way to live; Topomax cut that # down substantially. Started on 75 milligrams - am now on 12 milligrams (yep, I cut a 25 milligram pill in half).

YES - it has some BAD side effects - but it works wonders on people who suffer from migraines.

IMPORTANT - make sure you're taking your Topomax AT NIGHT - ALL OF IT AT NIGHT. My doctor neglected to tell me this at first - and my life was hell for a month - it was like living in a haze - talking to a customer at work and forgetting mid-sentence what we were discussing.........driving home and forgetting where I was going......SCARY STUFF. So - again - ONLY TAKE THIS STUFF AT NIGHT.

Other side effects - yes, food tastes like cardboard - anything you eat - cardboard.

Your tongue will have a constant tingling feeling.

You forget the name of things - basic things - like the word for 'cat' or your kids' name - and mid-sentence you'll start floundering, saying things like 'you know, that THING'!

People will think you're a bit of an idiot.........

But I can live a 'normal' live - and not have 15+ migraines a month now...........
  • sher_75
    sher_75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    WOW !!! I have recently been given this, I am on day 3 and am on a dose of 25mg for the first week, working my way up to 100mg in 4 weeks and plan to stay there. This was for Migraines for me.

Thanks for you all the tips and warnings !! I plan to always take this med at night !!!

I hope that I do not get any of these side effects this bad, other than the weight loss :laugh: lol
  • petitegreek
    petitegreek Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My doctor wanted to prescribe me to this because I gained 35 pounds in 8 months taking abilify. He said he took it himself and lost 40 pounds (I forget over what period if time). I'm kinda leery on taking it after reading posts in this thread. Should I take it if the primary reason is to lose weight? I already exercise 3-5 times per week.
  • petitegreek
    Options
    Bump
  • petitegreek
    Options
    Bump
  • migrainenurse
    Options
    I started Topamax 50 mg twice daily for incapacitating migraines. I also take Phentermine 37.5mg daily for weight loss and have a diagnosis of clinical depression for which I have been prescribed Prististiq 100 mg daily. The Topamax was prescribed to prevent the migraines, assist in weight loss and stabilize my mood. Its only been a week and have experienced altered taste to carbonated beverages and tingling to my fingers. I've lost about 4 pounds. Is there anything positive anyone has to say about this drug? All the reviews I've read so far are so negative. I don't want to be dependent on narcotics for pain relief and sleep all day during a migraine.
  • missshadowlovely
    missshadowlovely Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I took this drug I lost 30 lbs in two months. Basically, I would forget to eat, and not eat all day. And also, I wouldn't be hungry.
    I had other TERRIBLE mental side effects from this drug, including complete loss of short term memory and TERRIBLE mood swings / anger problems.

As soon as I stopped the drug I gained 60 lbs over 3-4 months, and that's why I'm here on this website.
    Trying to undo the damage.

Be VERY wary.
  • mowens69
    Options
    Theres a drug out there for weight loss called Qsymia, its pherternime and topomax together.My story, I broke my leg a yr and half ago and gained over 25 lbs from the lack of excersise and moving my boby was use to. Im very hyperactive, horseback ride work 2 jobs. Anyways my sugar drops too, so I have to eat protein to keep up. I have tried every diet pill over counter without loosing anything. I started working out 5 days a week for hr in september, also watching my diet eating under 1400 calories. I still have not lost any weight. I begged my dr in octorber to put me on a diet pill to help me, because im having surgery in january on my leg, and im afraid im going to gain another 10lbs over it. He was going to put me on one that was 250$ and I could not afford, so I took the plain pherternime which I cant take a whole one because of side affects. Yesterday I saw Dr. again and we discused again everything. I showed him a diary on my diet and excersise and I also added slim plexis to the pherternime 2 weeks ago. He was shock I have not lost much weight 6lb and 1 1/2 inches of waist is all since september. So he wanted me to try to Qsymia, but I told him I probally could not afford it, so he prescribed me the topomax 25 mg to add to the half pherternime. I took half of tablet 12.5 mg this am, and I have most of side effect, like dry mouth, not hungry, tingling, forgetfullness, but I have to give it a shot. I also suffer from migraines and mood changes. So Im hoping I can take it and it will work. Thanks for all the info to watch for.
  • lightheaded37
    Options
    I started topamax Feb 2012. My weight was 235 lbs by May 2013 I weighed 150 lbs. I looked and felt the best in 20 years. The only problem was the mind numbing side effects. My mind was in a fog, I had word finding issues, short term memory loss, attention deficit and blurred vision. The only good thing to come out of the side effect mind field was the weight loss of 85 lbs. My doctor stopped the medication due to the side effects in June. But now had to restart the medication back in December because of reoccurring migraines and chronic pain in great toe. So far so good, my doctor wants the dose kept low so as not to trigger the cognitive side effects. It seemed to work the last time. (While off the medication I gained 20 lbs back, and I'm not best pleased)
  • MechanicalCritter
    MechanicalCritter Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Dr. Prescribed me to Topamax today (25 mg) for weight loss. I also take 37.5 mg of Phentermine daily. Every post on here seems so negative and I'm getting really scared about taking these. I'm going to take my first one tomorrow night (as per my doctors suggestion.) Is there any merit in these pills? Should I be weary.
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was on Topamax for a while with my anxiety. Makes you lose weight super fast and it cuts your appetite completely but it is sooooooo unhealthy! It also makes your bones ache at night from the extra acid your blood produces from the medication and in rare cases causes glocauma. As soon as my eyes started hurting and I felt pressure I completely stopped taking it the next day (I know, not advisable). But yes it will make you lose weight and fast.
  • indunna
    indunna Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Dr. Prescribed me to Topamax today (25 mg) for weight loss. I also take 37.5 mg of Phentermine daily. Every post on here seems so negative and I'm getting really scared about taking these. I'm going to take my first one tomorrow night (as per my doctors suggestion.) Is there any merit in these pills? Should I be weary.

Somebody close to me has intractable epilepsy so I have seen many neurological drugs and their side effects up close (not pretty). As above thread explains topamax has been used for epilepsy for years and is informally known as “dopamax” as it causes most people to lose 5 to 10% of their body weight AND intellectual function. I would be hesitant to use it for daily grand mal seizures but might consider it if nothing else was working. I wouldn’t touch that *kitten* with a ten foot pole for weight loss - there are just better ways. I was shocked last summer when I learned it was part of the formulation for Quisimia - I know diet and exercise are hard but at least I get to keep my brain cells.

So, in summary, as a random stranger from the internet who is not a medical professional - I vote that you NOT take the topamax.
  • MechanicalCritter
    MechanicalCritter Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I do keto and have lost almost 50lbs so far with diet and exercise. I was actually kind of shocked when the doc prescribed these to me today. It was totally out of the blue considering my weight loss has been consistent and steady since I've been seeing him. I've heard rumors about my doc being refered to as "the candy man" from locals. So I don't know.
  • mowens69
    Options
    Im letting everyone know an update. I started the topamax 12.5mg on 12-5-13 PM, I had the said effect like I mentioned in my previous post on the 6th. Well they increased. On Saturday the 7th My right eye got really red and tearing I thought my contacts was borthering me so I took them out, I had allot of pressure behind my eyes and forhead. Took my migraine meds and helped. My eye still red sunday and monday, was waking up with swollen eyes and face. Went to Dr. thinking I had pink eye, he gave me cream to apply. Tuesday the 10th, I read my page that the pharmacy gave me,(I had looked up side effects on line instead) and first side effect was eye problems. Called pharmacy and talk to them. On the 11th being on cream for 3 days for my eye with no help and getting pressure daily I decided to stop taking it on the 11th. I still had headache for 2 days, but today I feel good and have my contacts back on, and eye almost cleared up.
    While in Topamax My tingling in my hands went away after 2nd day, but got anxious and was spotting too, memory fog, could not concentrate. my heart rate was high too. I hope this helps you all. I wish someone would have mentioned the congintivitis in the postings, I would have known that it was the topamax and stopped it. I think I lost one pound while on it.
    Good luck
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi...Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer" here, BUT I just came off the generic 2 days ago (had to ween myself off of it) because of all of the horrible side effects I was having. No, I was not lucky enough to lose any weight the 3 months I was on it of course. I did, however, feel as though I was losing my senses. Before I say anymore I was on 100mg twice a day for migraines. This medication DID help the migraines, but was not worth the risk of being on it. I had terrible dizziness, so bad I felt as though I shouldn't have been driving sometimes...can't work out or ride my bicycle. I had involuntary eye movement and when that happened I felt like my brain was being 'zapped". Pins & needles in my hands, ringing in my ears, unable to think of words to put a sentence together (still having a problem with that), my eyesight is now different and I am hoping it is not permanent, dry mouth, taste change...especially to carbonated drinks, no motivation for anything, confusion, and the topper that finally got me to a doctor that cared enough to look into what was going on, was diarrhea for a month. It was so bad that I could not go anywhere but work. I am sorry if this is TMI, but if I can help one person know they are not crazy while taking this medication that is all I care about. Right now you are losing weight and that is great, but if you see, or feel any negative things happening to you, you need to think about whether this drug could be the result of that. My GP was not listening to me when I told him all of what was gong on with me and I was silly enough not to look up the side effects. I had to have my Gastro doctor open my eyes to what was going on. After seeing him I looked up and printed the side effects and could not believe how many I was having, and MAJOR ONES!

I hope you continue to lose weight and that you have none of the negative side effects...GOOD LUCK! :smile:

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOUR BODY IS TELLING YOU!:flowerforyou:

Debbie

This exactly. That was one of the worst medications I have EVER taken. I took it for migraines as well, and it didn't help that THAT but caused many other things. It be honest, I took it because they said I would lose weight. As a matter of fact, my DR. practically demanded I take it for my weight and my debilitating migraines where a second thought as far as he was concerned.

Just be careful and educate yourself about the side effects. If you don't have any, GREAT. Just be aware. :smile:
  • dynellthomas12
    dynellthomas12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax about 6 years ago for migraines and I'll never make the mistake of taking it again. I lost literally half of my hair and it still to this day has not grown back in to the length or thickness that it used to be and the texture is completey different. I also had the tingling and numbness in my hands but that was tolerable for me as it would usually subside with in about an hour or so.
  • BreakingFreee
    Options
    Topamax had a really horrible effect on my vision. Had to stop taking it before I went blind...
  • ohwellokay
    Options
    This drug completely ruined me. I was taking it for migraines.

Had memory problems and I felt extremely stupid (I have a GREAT memory usually, can learn a song on the guitar in about 5 minutes, but horrifyingly enough I could not remember/play a single chord while on this medicine), tingling in hands/feet/face, soda & chocolate tasted off, periods were heavier.

The worst problem for me were some horrible GI side effects...I've had GERD since a young child, but it made it completely out of control. I'm talking burping for 8 hours STRAIGHT as soon as I ate/drank anything, tons of indigestion/gas issues, heartburn, stomach pains, diarrhea. Everytime I tried to wean off it, I would start packing on the weight and freaked out.

Finally I did manage to stop taking it completely after discovering it had given me about five kidney stones in each freaking kidney due to it giving me low c02, metabolic acidosis, and low citrate in my urine. I gained about 5 lbs from stopping the drug, but then my weight stabilized without changing my diet/exercise routine at all.

However. Three days after stopping it, I started having debilitating panic attacks to the point where everytime I stood up, I'd think I was about to die and freak myself out into collapsing to the floor. I went entire months laying on the sofa afraid to get up, sure of the fact that if I did, I would drop dead. I've gotten a little better at controlling the anxiety, but I still can't walk properly or for longer than say, 3 minutes at a time.

It's been 7 months since I've been off it...and everyone, including my drs, are at a loss of what to do because it seems the rational answer is go back on topamax to stop the panic issue, however I really cannot deal with my stomach issues being that out of control again.

Never, ever take this medicine.
  • Annewillie
    Options
    I take topamax for migraines and I have for over a year. I am currently at 100 mg a day. I do at times feel some of the tingling sensations and dizziness however I have MS and I am going to have these feelings no matter what. So for me the opportunity to not feel the migraine pain on top of everything else is worth whatever small addition this pill might bring. I am very happy with it.