Has losing weight changed you?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I have changed per say. In my 20's before I had my son I was confident, out going, fun loving etc.

After I had my son and I yo yo'd I lost some confidence and became less out going....

I still had lots of confidence but not as much as I used to.

Now after my weight loss I am bordering that line again...confidence/cocky...but I always did...:drinker:

That could have something to do with age tho too (turned 40 when I decided it was time for me)...who knows.
  • lshender
    lshender Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm healthier and more confident. I'm now the one who uses the steps instead of the elevator and parks in the farthest spot from the mall entrance. I have to admit shopping is much harder. Too many choices!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm:
    1. less tired
    2. more upbeat
    3. more serene
    4. more adventurous
    5. less self-conscious
    6. more sensitive to cold
    7. less comfortable on hard seats
  • dmoppy
    dmoppy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My wife and kids say I'm grumpier more - maybe it was the "hangry period" when I was trying to lose weight. I would always say back "oh you liked me fat, 'cause fat men are jolly." Now that I've been at target for a year I hope I'm normalizing to a "happier" place. Like others have said I do look at myself in the mirror more so my vanity is up. My biggest hobby now is my health (watching what I eat, running and now trying lifting) so my wife will tell you I am out of the house more. She has told me she gets tired of me asking "where are the wrappers from X or how much of Y is in this so I can log the calories." Maybe my hobby is really just calorie counting.
  • MrsJuli4B
    MrsJuli4B Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've changed.

I feel more sexy.
    I don't care if anyone sees me reading food labels.
    I look at myself more in the mirror.
    I feel the cold.
    I beg to have my picture taken.
    I am more confident.
    I love clothes shopping.

I am a very different person to the one I was a little under a year ago.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I can answer this. I've been as high as 350 lbs and as little as 140 lbs. I'm the same person.

What's changed is how people treat me.

At 350 lbs, I was invisible. Which was preferrable to being made fun of openly but total strangers. One guy yelled acorss at a Denny's to me that I was Goodyear blimp. Will never forget that.

At 140 lbs, I was getting more attention from men. It was flattering but unnerved me, because it validated how shallow people can be. And yet I started to crave that attention to validate ME. Oh, the irony.

At 350 lbs., I worried about going ANYWHERE. Why? Didn't know if I would fit in the: movie seat, amusement park ride, airplane seat. This was before seat belt extenders were really available. I once had a cross-country flight where I couldn't buckle my seat belt and kept a jacket on my lap to cover it up so I wouldn't be called on it or hassled b the flight attendants. I used to book window seats so that I would only have to worry about hanging over on one side of the seat.

At 140 lbs, I didn't think twice about going or doing anything. Chairs were no problem. It was about living my life, not worrying about wedging myself into a chair.

At 350 lbs, I was suicidal. My fertility was threatened. I felt my career path was bleak because of such outrageous and obvious bias.

At 140 lbs, I got promoted three times in 5 years.

At 350 lbs, I berated myself all day long for allowing things to get to that point. I avoided mirrors. Photos. I missed out on life.

At 140 lbs., I didn't care who had a camera. I looked forward to shopping for clothes. I was always surprised when I could look for clothes that I LIKED versus what would fit me.

Throughout all of it, I never changed at all. The world changed how they treated me. And it sucked to realize that. I also realized I spent so much of my life missing, well, life. I always wondered about the things I could have done, the people I could have met, the achievements that I might have had. The trajectory of my life might be very different.

But I will tell you one thing.

Being fat and obese for most of my young adult life DID help. It made me more empathetic. It made me give a crap about others, because I certainly didn't care about myself. It made me work harder in my career. It made me develop an awesome personality and wicked sense of humor (okay, as a form of self-defense but also to charm people before they had the chance to realize that I could topple over and crush them at any given moment).

Now, at age 41, I see that I will never change. And people don't really change, actually. But the world will judge, and that is just a fact. This time around, I'm trying to lose 25 pounds to be healthy and to live what I have left of my life in as healthfully of a way as I can. I have two awesome kids depending on me, and that's what counts most of all.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    1. I have more confidence in myself. I do find myself speaking out more and then my mind will say "What are you doing? If you speak up, they will see you!". And then I instantly fade back in the shadows.
    2. I smile more, or they tell me that at work anyway.
    3. I move more. I love listening to music and I find myself dancing around while doing my daily tasks.
    4. Like another poster, I am more vain. I take better care of my skin and spend a little more time on my morning routine. I figure why spend all this time and effort and still look frumpy.

I have also noticed that people do treat me differently. Especially when shopping. I was at a store recently that I hadn't been too in a while. The same lady was there as last time. On my last visit, she just vaguely greeted me and waved me over to the plus size section. This time, not recognizing me, she greeted me pleasantly and then proceeded to follow me around and redirecting me to the smaller sections "because there is no way you are a large, you need a small, medium at biggest."

Eta: I knew this lady only wanted to make a sale, but I could have really used her help back when I had no idea how to dress myself stylishly.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I feel healthier and fitter. Love to dress and go out!Love to look at my pics,earlier i hated that. Other than the looks part, rest stays the same.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    These are interesting comments. Pretty much everybody is (self) reporting they're a "better" person after the weight loss.

That has....implications.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Implications such as ... ?
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Are you the same kind of person? Do you have the same traits and personality or have you changed at all? Were you shy and now you're not? Did you have anxiety and now you don't? Or did you lose weight and were exactly the same, but smaller? Share your experience!

1. I have more self confidence. I I love what I see when I look in the mirror. I know I can achieve anything!
    2. I have an anxiety disorder and it helped me soo much. I feel more serene, more calm, my agoraphobia is easier to cope with.
    3. I'm stronger physically. I can do things I could not do before and I'm amazed by what I've achieved.
    4. I have much more control over my life and I'm able to manage a busy routine (workout, work, college, social and love life)
    5. I now have a hobby: fitness
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Only that I no longer spend hours obsessing over fining the right outfit to make make look good. I look good in everything.
  • suzsy312
    Options
    A lot has personally changed. I was never overweight but i wanted to become more fit and certain areas of my body had more fat than i wanted. I was always self conscious of myself but not after only a few months of change, I have become much more confident and i know longer get paniced easily. I can wear sweatpants but feel good about myself I know longer wonder about how people view me.
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not I am more introverted, more conscious about a lot of things, but still happy. I have the same friends and the same hobbies, but I approach them in a different manner.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Getting drunk crazy fast!

Me, too!!! Has my tolerance gone down because I weigh less? Or because I drink less to avoid the empty calories?
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Interesting to contemplate. I never felt as 'big' as I was, and I don't feel as "small" as I am now. I guess my body image hasn't caught up. It's not a negative, though.

I'm still the same person, I just eat better. And I feel better. And I can dance longer!
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yup...because of all the people I know who haven't seen me in a while are surprised when I walk in..good feeling
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I went from shy and timid, to outspoken and obnoxious.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I can answer this. I've been as high as 350 lbs and as little as 140 lbs. I'm the same person.

What's changed is how people treat me.

At 350 lbs, I was invisible. Which was preferrable to being made fun of openly but total strangers. One guy yelled acorss at a Denny's to me that I was Goodyear blimp. Will never forget that.

At 140 lbs, I was getting more attention from men. It was flattering but unnerved me, because it validated how shallow people can be. And yet I started to crave that attention to validate ME. Oh, the irony.

At 350 lbs., I worried about going ANYWHERE. Why? Didn't know if I would fit in the: movie seat, amusement park ride, airplane seat. This was before seat belt extenders were really available. I once had a cross-country flight where I couldn't buckle my seat belt and kept a jacket on my lap to cover it up so I wouldn't be called on it or hassled b the flight attendants. I used to book window seats so that I would only have to worry about hanging over on one side of the seat.

At 140 lbs, I didn't think twice about going or doing anything. Chairs were no problem. It was about living my life, not worrying about wedging myself into a chair.

At 350 lbs, I was suicidal. My fertility was threatened. I felt my career path was bleak because of such outrageous and obvious bias.

At 140 lbs, I got promoted three times in 5 years.

At 350 lbs, I berated myself all day long for allowing things to get to that point. I avoided mirrors. Photos. I missed out on life.

At 140 lbs., I didn't care who had a camera. I looked forward to shopping for clothes. I was always surprised when I could look for clothes that I LIKED versus what would fit me.

Throughout all of it, I never changed at all. The world changed how they treated me. And it sucked to realize that. I also realized I spent so much of my life missing, well, life. I always wondered about the things I could have done, the people I could have met, the achievements that I might have had. The trajectory of my life might be very different.

But I will tell you one thing.

Being fat and obese for most of my young adult life DID help. It made me more empathetic. It made me give a crap about others, because I certainly didn't care about myself. It made me work harder in my career. It made me develop an awesome personality and wicked sense of humor (okay, as a form of self-defense but also to charm people before they had the chance to realize that I could topple over and crush them at any given moment).

Now, at age 41, I see that I will never change. And people don't really change, actually. But the world will judge, and that is just a fact. This time around, I'm trying to lose 25 pounds to be healthy and to live what I have left of my life in as healthfully of a way as I can. I have two awesome kids depending on me, and that's what counts most of all.

I just want to give you a hug. Some of my favorite people are bigger than 300 lbs, and it in no way affects how I feel about them. I also know what it is to feel trapped and betrayed by your own body.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I am slightly more willing to go out in public, but losing weight was never going to make me a social butterfly.

Alcohol, now...that will.

Sadly alcohol is my gateway drug to food I shouldn't eat when I'm not careful, so I have to keep it under control.