Is 1200 calories enough for me?

Options

Replies

• smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    1,200. So that's 2 small meals a day, no snacks and nothing to drink except water and diet coke.... that would be some kind of food disorder and would make me go crazy....

So only 2 "small" meals a day, huh? I hardly consider a 600 calorie meal small. Perhaps that thinking has lead you to where you are now.

I eat 2 large meals a day and at least 2 snacks and a protein shake.

How on earth you know where I am at now? Random assumption.

For the record, so that I maintain my weight (BMI 23, male), I am recommended to eat 2,300 calories a day, so 600 calories for both dinner and lunch would leave my on the dangerously thin side.

1,200 calories a day is low. A lot of lettuce leaves granted, but we arent all salad freaks. Still 1,200? 2,000 is average RDA for a lady, so while appreciating we are all shapes and sizes, thats around 40% lower than the RDA.

Work that one out.

Ok let me try to work it out... You're a male. The OP is a female. You cannot compare how much a man can eat to lose weight as compared to a woman. 600 calories when eating lean meats and veggies and other "healthy" foods is a huge meal. That is typically what I eat, so when I picture 600 calories of food I hardly think of lettuce and salads.

I HAVE to stick to a 1200 calorie diet to lose weight. It is my reality. So when people assume that EVERYONE can eat 1800-2000 calories to lose weight, just because they can I get a little annoyed. Maybe a lot annoyed. Just because you can't or won't be able to adhere to a 1200 calorie diet doesn't mean that others can't.

On a side note, it was a little asinine for me to randomly assume where you are fitness wise. Apologies.
  • beezales
    Options
    Small female here. MFP tells me the same thing. I've tried eating 1200 calories a day, but then after a few weeks, just one bad weekend will destroy any progress. If you're already a healthy weight, loss at 2 lbs. a week will be really hard to maintain after you've lost the weight. Remember that the body adjusts your metabolism accordingly -- do you really want to adjust to needing to eat 1200/day to maintain your weight? In my opinion, better to eat 14-1500/day for slower loss and easier maintenance once you've lost the weight.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    1,200. So that's 2 small meals a day, no snacks and nothing to drink except water and diet coke.... that would be some kind of food disorder and would make me go crazy....
    Oh good lord. Isn't there some damsel in distress somewhere who needs saving? With a cheeseburger?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    600 would be small meal more me, more like a snack. Perhaps my line of thinking has gotten me where I am now...
    You're in maintenance. Did you eat 600 calorie snacks while losing 128 lbs.? If so, you're not 5' tall.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

So only 2 "small" meals a day, huh? I hardly consider a 600 calorie meal small. Perhaps that thinking has lead you to where you are now.

I eat 2 large meals a day and at least 2 snacks and a protein shake.

How on earth you know where I am at now? Random assumption.

For the record, so that I maintain my weight (BMI 23, male), I am recommended to eat 2,300 calories a day, so 600 calories for both dinner and lunch would leave my on the dangerously thin side.

1,200 calories a day is low. A lot of lettuce leaves granted, but we arent all salad freaks. Still 1,200? 2,000 is average RDA for a lady, so while appreciating we are all shapes and sizes, thats around 40% lower than the RDA.

Work that one out.

Ok let me try to work it out... You're a male. The OP is a female. You cannot compare how much a man can eat to lose weight as compared to a woman. 600 calories when eating lean meats and veggies and other "healthy" foods is a huge meal. That is typically what I eat, so when I picture 600 calories of food I hardly think of lettuce and salads.

I HAVE to stick to a 1200 calorie diet to lose weight. It is my reality. So when people assume that EVERYONE can eat 1800-2000 calories to lose weight, just because they can I get a little annoyed. Maybe a lot annoyed. Just because you can't or won't be able to adhere to a 1200 calorie diet doesn't mean that others can't.

On a side note, it was a little asinine for me to randomly assume where you are fitness wise. Apologies.

I have a sedentary job too but choose to be active. Referring to the original poster, if you have to eat less than 1,200 calories in order to lose 2lbs a week then I would recommend not setting the bar so low. Just lose weight at a lower rate

There are also many foods that aren't mega low in calories that are beneficial to health. 600 cals would be about 150g of pasta with no ingredients added. That isn't anything and allowing yourself to be so restrictive can just backfire as it just becomes tiresome. Each to their own of course but it is the way it goes for many. And yes, for a sizeable amount of people 1200 is bordering on unnecessary because many people do regular exercises such as walking and household tasks which burn calories without realising.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    yep.

Im 4'11.5 and I eat maintenance kcals of 1500 for a month and still lost weight. What I mean even if at 1200 kcals you can still lose weight and yes that is enough for ur body!

Go eat your calories girl! ;)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Well. I'm female and short and I eat around 1800 calories a day to lose .7 pounds a week, not factoring in working out and being pretty sedentary (I usually work part time and spend the rest of my time at the computer). 1200 calories is in fact two meals, and I'd be fairly cranky about it.

I hope I count and am not invalidated because of whatever factors we use to decide people don't matter in this thread.

OT: it may be enough OP. I'd start higher and slowly work down until you find a sweet spot, rather than starting at the very bottom. That's just me though.
  • AlishaBaxmann
    AlishaBaxmann Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for all of the replies :) I appreciate it.

I've actually found that 1200 calories is not as horrible as I thought. I thought i would be like SO hungry all the time and wanting to binge out on junk food and stuff .. but i'm not really. I binged the past 2 days but that's because they were events and I allowed myself to.

What I have been doing is setting my goal to 1200 calories at least. Before mfp I never realized but I would be eating over 2000 calories a day and sometimes less than 1200 calories! my food eating habits were totally all over. It's only been a couple days since using mfp but wow, it's an eye opener. Since setting a goal of at least 1200 calories a day, I allow myself to go over if I feel I need to. If I have had all my 1200 calories and am still hungry, then I let myself eat something because I figure I'm eating better and healthier foods than I was a week ago.

Some of you may think I really need to bump up my calories but I think I'll stick to 1200 and be a little lenient with it still. With 1200 calories as my daily minimum and actually seeing the number on my screen and tracking it, I'm more aware of how many calories I need to eat at the very least. I used to never eat breakfast! My breakfasts are usually 300 calories now that I've been tracking and I can't believe I went without that many calories a day!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    there are online calculators...here's one http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html. once you get that number research to see what percentage of that you want to eat.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    1200 kcals might be enough, but I honestly don't know if your weight is excessive compared to your height. I reckon you might not have to lose a lot, looking at your description you are probably more in need of some exercise. Anyway, since being hungry is never the best way to start, if you feel like you're not able to go on by restricting to 1200 kcals, you might also try to add 100 kcals at the beginning or so. You won't lose as fast but you'd still lose. I think you should calculate your TDEE (for your height and weight it must be around 1500 I guess? depending on your activity level), even just dropping 100 kcals at the beginning and exercising might help. If you exercise a bit you can eat your calories back so you'd be able to eat more and tone up a bit either! I know it's hard to stick to 1200 kcals if you're used to overeat but just try slowly, and find out what works for you.
  • AlishaBaxmann
    Options
    A lot of you have said that I'm a healthy weight for my height and that I don't have much weight to lose. Of course, in my mind, I see myself as needing to lose lots of weight and stuff (because I'm insecure and just hate my body right now.)

The problem to me is not the number on the scale, it's how it looks on me. I have love handles, a chubby tummy, large thighs and D boobs. I used to be a tiny girl, I still am considered small but the way I'm carrying the weight is not attractive in my opinion. I hate how it looks on me. I recently bought a goal dress (bad, I probably shouldn't do that to myself) and it's tight to my body but not tight enough to suck in anything. Meaning, every bump shows. If you guys want ... I can post a picture of myself wearing the dress? It's going to be embarassing but I'll just edit the post and delete it later on. I just want you guys to see what I'm talking about.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    A lot of you have said that I'm a healthy weight for my height and that I don't have much weight to lose. Of course, in my mind, I see myself as needing to lose lots of weight and stuff (because I'm insecure and just hate my body right now.)

How you feel about your body doesn't change how it reacts from a physiology point of view
    The problem to me is not the number on the scale, it's how it looks on me. I have love handles, a chubby tummy, large thighs and D boobs. I used to be a tiny girl, I still am considered small but the way I'm carrying the weight is not attractive in my opinion. I hate how it looks on me.

How old were you when you were "tiny"? Because most women don't stop developing until they're around 16-18 years old. When grown women envy the bodies of adolescents, then there's a problem. You're a woman now, you have a woman's body, you're not going to look the same as you did when you were an adolescent. So maybe you have more curves now. Some women have a more curvy body type than others. Own it, show off those curves, because they are very attractive. (less curvy women are also attractive, the trick is knowing how to dress for your type, and to be fit and healthy so you look good naked too).

That's not to say that you can't lower your body fat percentage and still be healthy (I couldn't say one way or another without knowing your body fat percentage). Just be aware that if you're trying to look like you did when you were an adolescent, then it's not a realistic goal and IMO it's a pretty tragic reflection of society if grown women want to look like adolescents.

Also bear in mind that models etc in magazines are all airbrushed. That means that the models don't look like the pictures of them in the magazines. If even magazine models don't look like that, then it's not a realistic goal to aim towards. And even if the pics are un-photoshopped, you may not be able to look like specific models, if you don't have the same body type. It's best to aim to be a fit, healthy, lean version of yourself, and if your body type is curvy, then own those curves and show them off.

So consider what you are trying to achieve here, before you even start dieting in the first place. If what you're trying to achieve is realistic, then the next question is how to achieve that look. For most people who are already at a healthy weight for their height, dieting is not the way to achieve the look they want. Usually training in the gym, gaining some muscle and eating more is the way to do it. Whether you need to eat at a surplus (more than you burn off) at maintenance or at a deficit (less than you burn off) depends on your current body fat percentage and what body fat percentage you need to be at to achieve the look you want to achieve. But unfortunately the response in nearly all healthy women who have some flabby bits they don't like (or just imagine they have flabby bits and actually don't) is to diet and lose weight.... like that's going to magically give them the body they want when they hit a number on the scale. (or even if they're not aiming at a specific number, they think it'll happen when they get light enough) It doesn't work like that. How you look comes from body fat percentage and having strong, firm muscles to keep your flesh firm, rather than flabby.
    I recently bought a goal dress (bad, I probably shouldn't do that to myself) and it's tight to my body but not tight enough to suck in anything. Meaning, every bump shows. If you guys want ... I can post a picture of myself wearing the dress? It's going to be embarassing but I'll just edit the post and delete it later on. I just want you guys to see what I'm talking about.

I'd be willing to bet that you look fantastic in the dress and the "lumpy bits" are either curves that you're supposed to have, or they're grossly exaggerated in your mind.
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 or less for over 16 months and I am 6'3" tall. I never eat back my exercise calories. I am doing just fine on those calories. That question usually stirs up the controversy.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 or less for over 16 months and I am 6'3" tall. I never eat back my exercise calories. I am doing just fine on those calories. That question usually stirs up the controversy.

you're nearly 60 though, which will make your metabolism slower, but even so it's likely to be too little for a tall man.

a word of caution though, at your age you need to be looking after your bone density and muscle mass. 1200 cals/day is likely to result in loss of lean mass (the older you are, the greater the risk of this), and loss of bone density is likely to go along with it. This advice applies to young people too, in fact, but a lot of the physical problems of aging are caused by loss of lean mass and bone density, and this process can be slowed down drastically by training and eating right.... and also sped up drastically by training and eating wrong. So maybe you're doing just fine now.... but you could be storing up a whole bunch of problems that won't strike for five or ten years.

If you've done the maths and you're certain you're eating enough to protect your lean mass and bone density, then fine. But those things are often ignored, as people don't look at the long term consequences of eating too little, they just see it as "I don't feel that hungry, I don't feel tired, I'm losing weight on the scale, so I don't see what the problem is"
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

The problem to me is not the number on the scale, it's how it looks on me. I have love handles, a chubby tummy, large thighs and D boobs. I used to be a tiny girl, I still am considered small but the way I'm carrying the weight is not attractive in my opinion. I hate how it looks on me. I recently bought a goal dress (bad, I probably shouldn't do that to myself) and it's tight to my body but not tight enough to suck in anything. Meaning, every bump shows. If you guys want ... I can post a picture of myself wearing the dress? It's going to be embarassing but I'll just edit the post and delete it later on. I just want you guys to see what I'm talking about.

Go ahead and post it if you feel comfortable. What matters, though, is how you feel about your body. If you're not happy with your body at this weight (and yeah, if you're small framed it is possible that you might have a bit to lose if you want) then no one should make you feel bad for wanting to lose. A few pounds under 125 at your height isn't going to make you unhealthy or underweight. Obviously you don't have more than a few pounds to lose, but even so, all these people who say "you're fine already!" aren't the ones whose opinions matter here.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I think you're like a half point from "overweight" BMI, so I don't think you need to justify wanting to lose some.
  • AlishaBaxmann
    Options
    Just wanted to say thank you again to all of you for taking the time to reply!

Can I just say that I love this website? I thought I'd last on this website for maybe 2 days then call it quits and sit around being sad for myself and eat a tub of icecream. The support is awesome. So thank you :)
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    NO. It is not enough (in my opinion)

Here's the deal, at least this is my experience. I am 5'0" currently around 112. I started at 134 and my lowest weight was 106. I gained a bit due to some medical problems (I'm totally fine for now at 112). I started at 1200 calories with working out a LOT. I lost some weight but stalled multiple times and was tired and hungry all of the time. I bumped it up to 1500 and then started losing consistently again. I went from around 118 to 106 on 1500+ calories a day. I am now maintaining at 112 on about 1700 a day. Just because you are petite does not mean you have to suffice on 1200 a day. I also agree with the other posters that 2 lbs a week is too much for the small amount you have to lose. You feel feel a lot better eating a bit more losing slowly. Trust me on this, you do not want to go super low on calories and have no where to go from there! When I was eating 1200 I kept having to increase my workouts (we're talking like 6 days a week for 1-2 hours as day!) because I couldn't lower my calories any more and the weight stopped coming off. By decreasing workouts a bit and increasing food, the weight started falling off again.

Best of luck to you!
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    AlishaBaxmann,

1200 is the minimum base calories required to SURVIVE as an adult human being. It is not all about height and current weight. It is also about what is required to support your brain, your eyes, your heart, your lungs, etc.

If you are starting with a 1200 base and you exercise, you should not eat SOME of those calories back, you MUST eat ALL of them back. You cannot be healthy as an adult woman without a minimum of 1200 calories NET per day. Please do not listen to those who tell you that you only need to eat some of those calories back.

And don't let "exercise" fool you. If you are walking 10,000 steps per day, you need to eat more than 1200 calories per day. 1200 calories per day is a sedentary human being. If you walk more than 5,000 steps per day you need to add 50 calories for every 1,000 steps for a base of 1450. If you are using walking as your exercise, then you should consider wearing a heart rate monitor and tracking the actual burn, especially if you're doing fast walking. I always shave about 10% off what my HRM says I burned per my doctor's advice. So if it says I burned 300, I only count 270 and eat those back.

And eat GOOD food, not crappy, processed food, as much as possible.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're 18. No way is 1200 enough. Keep in mind that you're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP. If it's too much of a pain, use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ instead to calculate an appropriate goal.