Need some exersice to burn calories with a bum knee

Options
2»

Replies

• katerinab
    Options
    My knees aren't good and they don't mind Leslie Sansone workouts. Just don't do any of them that talk about "boosted walking" because that's basically jogging in place and that won't feel good.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery abot 6 years ago and I am having a little bit of trouble with my knee these last few days, I am working thru the pain but I am sure paying for it at the end of the day last night I had to ice it and wrap it all night long, today it is very swollen and is killing me, I went ahead and worked out on my stepper but was not able to do it as long as I would like to, because me knee just kept giving out. Does anyone know of of any workout routines or just a few exercises that I can do with my bum knee for a while that will help me with still lose the calories?

I remember the story of a person who had really bad knees but would run through the pain and continue training. In the end, the pain was so bad that they ended up having an operation. The patient concerned saw piccies of how their knees had ended up after training on them and they swore that, "no matter how good I had got at running, I would have given it up in a second if I had known just what I had been doing to my knees by trying to run through the pain".

The pain is there for a good reason, it is telling you that your knees are not in a good condition. Train on them at your peril, treadmill, running, elliptical, rowing, weights - all of that will damage them further.

If you want to continue exercising, walking or swimming will most likely be your best bet, walking because there will be no pounding the pavements and swimming because you will not be putting any weight on your knees.
  • dlmarkley66
    Options
    Not trying to be stupid here but this is the first site I have posted on. What goes back to the top of the discussion list? The original post that people are replying to? Doesn't that stay at the top anyway? Or do you mean the top of all the discussion lists? Sorry. Just trying to live in a techno world being a nurse!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    Not trying to be stupid here but this is the first site I have posted on. What goes back to the top of the discussion list? The original post that people are replying to? Doesn't that stay at the top anyway? Or do you mean the top of all the discussion lists? Sorry. Just trying to live in a techno world being a nurse!
    I use it for when I am interested in a discussion and want to keep coming back to it, because once you post, it goes into your "my topics" heading (up there on top, next to home, recent posts, my topics, signature, search). But also it bumps the discussion to the feed on the home page (because the more popular a topic is, the more often it shows up on your home page feed).
    And no problem! It took me asking to figure out what BUMP meant too :0)
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    On my 30 Day Shred, Jillian says punches are a great way to get your heart rate going while keeping your lower body still.
  • dlmarkley66
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the info! I'm learning, slow but sure!
  • williampaul
    Options
    Maybe this is old shoe, but be leery of prescription drugs that may interrupt the healing of the knee and other joints from the normal damage done the day before on a healthy joint. e.g. Avandia for diabetes. If already damaged and you dont want glucose as in Glucosomin/Condroitin ......... then D3 (5000 IU) a day, Cod Liver Oil eg Carlsons in a bottle (refrigerate), Magnesium Gylcinate, the best absorbed without being tied to the washroom, and MSM.
  • williampaul
    Options
    Except for washroom and kitchen and to the car, I cant walk very far. Practically tied to the chair at the computer. Looking for a machine to buy for legs. Took a drug for three years that gradually made me crippled almost.

Peddles on bikes seem to be too close in, for my comfort I like the big foot plate at the YMCA that you push forward with a settable resistance while laying on your back. That is to elaborate to purchase for home tho.

Have rubber heavy duty exercise bands bolted to the ceiling and wall behind my computer but ripped a bicep tendon on weak arm the first day.

Does anyone have any ideas besides pool? Stair climber is all I can come up with. I would break the Chuck Norris thing at a 400 lb level as well as other none heavy duty units.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Except for washroom and kitchen and to the car, I cant walk very far. Practically tied to the chair at the computer. Looking for a machine to buy for legs. Took a drug for three years that gradually made me crippled almost.

Peddles on bikes seem to be too close in, for my comfort I like the big foot plate at the YMCA that you push forward with a settable resistance while laying on your back. That is to elaborate to purchase for home tho.

Have rubber heavy duty exercise bands bolted to the ceiling and wall behind my computer but ripped a bicep tendon on weak arm the first day.

Does anyone have any ideas besides pool? Stair climber is all I can come up with. I would break the Chuck Norris thing at a 400 lb level as well as other none heavy duty units.

What about a rowing machine? Other than that, a stability ball and ankle weights? Sorry to hear about your bad luck.