CARDIO! How much do you do?!

Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I would do none, but sadly my coach recommends one 20min HIIT session a week. I'm lazy though and don't bother with the 5 mins of warm up and cool down either side of the sprints, so really I do 10 minutes.
  • Kasi_Smith
    Options
    Probably should have mentioned in my main post I'm really not fussed if I lose weight or not (I'm just tracking everything, getting into organzing routines, etc) if i do i do if i don't i don't. I do that much cardio because I'm training to join the royal navy so I'm just training to get my fitness and endurance up. :) Was just being nosey and wanted to see what cardio everyone else did :D

Oh and I've been told if you want to lose weight you shouldn't eat your exercise calories back.. (just because loads of people say you should) But anyways I've been told you shouldn't because if your eating back what you've burnt then whats the point exercising you might as well just eat what you've got to with no exercise and its exactly the same... Well it sounds logical to me anyways haha

Thanks for all the replies :D

I think that is mostly if you're creating too much of a deficit. If you want to lose a pound a week and are set to create a deficit of 500 calories already through eating, it's really not a good idea to create a larger deficit by exercising and not eating those calories back. It's good for quick weight loss, however, a lot of times that weight loss is both muscle and fat. But that's just coming from someone who likes muscle. :P
  • maostrom
    maostrom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Like 10 min warm up and cool down before and after weight training, other than that my mind just nopes right out because of boredom ._.
  • katherinebarcaskey
    Options
    zero. zip. nada. do power cleans count?
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Run on treadmill anywhere from 45mins to over an hour at various speeds and inclines.

My go to exercise when wanting to drop weight quickly! Had to stop for a sec due to rapid calories being lost when compared to my intake. Impossible to eat that much excessive calories due to exercise.

Now I will start strength training more consistently.
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I run/walk various incline and speed for 2 miles 5 days a week and do T25 5 days a week
  • Tffanie4712
    Options
    I do cardio 6 days a week for 35-60 mins(insanity)I do abs, glutes, and kettle ball exercises about 20 mins a day when I get to my goal weight I'm going to back off on the cardio a little and do more strength training.
  • goldenglitter83
    goldenglitter83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do 60 minutes 4-5 times a week. I would like to add, eventually!
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to cardio, so I do at least 30mins a day. but i know strength/weight training should be my priority now. :)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    10-15 hours per week depending on the season and maybe 2 hours per week of strength training.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    20 minutes, High-Intensity Interval Training, 3 times a week.

I used to do 40-60 minutes "slow" cardio 3-4 times a week, but have since switched to HIIT.

Both styles worked for me, but I find that HIIT is a bit more effective for me and the afterburn lasts longer.
  • randysbombshellgirl
    Options
    Every single day and twice in Tuesday's. Average time 35 to 55 minutes. I've been told that's way too much and to incorporate weight training but I'm stubborn :grumble:
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    At least 45 minutes of stationary bike 7 days.
    Strength training 6 days -- upper one day, lower next day. Take Sundays off...:laugh:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I do none. Somehow it still feels like too much.
  • Mustt273
    Options
    I go to gym 3 times per week and start with elliptical biking 5 or 10 min. after that 1 hour for weight workouts and finally I run 20 min + stationary biking 20 min. So I can burn 300-400 Kcal only running and biking. I don't actually know how much kcal weight workouts.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love doing cardio. It's easy and brainless, I can zone out to a podcast and just go at it. But I find when I start over-doing cardio (pushing 2 hours a day) that my weightless completely stalls. So besides making sure I get in 10K steps a day - which is comprised mainly of steady activity all day - I shoot to get in a solid 20-30 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week.

I also do strength training, but that's not as fun for me and I have to really focus on my form (and count reps).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    2 hours per day of cardio is absurd and you've gone beyond the point of diminishing returns. You'd be better served to incorporate some resistance/strength training rather than just doing excessive cardio...there really is no reason for that other than you're training for something specific...and even then, long workouts like that are usually only performed once or twice per week.

During the time of year I don't do a whole lot of cardio...if I get out on my bike a couple times per week I'm happy and otherwise just try to go for a walk for 30 minutes or so every day...beyond that I just focus on my weight training.

As we move into spring I will start spending more time in the saddle to get ready for my 1/2 century ride in May as well as my other fund rides during spring and summer. On average I'll spend about 60 minutes on my bike 4-5 days per week and have one ride that is long...working from 90 minutes to ultimately about 4 hours in the saddle...but like I said, that's only once per week and it is done specifically to prepare for an event....once my event is over I will pull back.

In the summer I will have a nicer balance of cycling and cross training with some swimming and my weight training.

Personally OP, you may want to address actual fitness goals....they will help in dictating what you should be doing, how often, and for how long.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I used to do none as I hate it. I got on just fine like that, maintaining, gaining or losing depending on my goals at the time. I'd just adjust my food as necessary. At the moment though I have a fairly challenging weight goal I would like to achieve by a February comp (it's around a 1lb a week) I'm used to losing slower than that, and I don't want to cut my food back more, especially over Christmas, so I'm adding 20-30 minutes of HIIT into my lifting routine, around 3 times a week and hoping that'll help a bit.

Lifting however, I love! That is around 45-75 minutes, 5-6 days a week.
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Right now because I'm not working (I'm a professor on sabbatical), I am doing 60 minutes of cardio every day at the gym or on my bike. Then, I do Zumba for an hour 3 nights a week and 45 mins on Saturdays in the pool. I play tennis when I can also. I do strength training every other day.

When I return to work, I have prepared myself since I know Mon - Thurs I won't have time for the gym. I bought an elliptical (waiting for it to be shipped) so I can do 30 mins to an hour each morning while watching the news. Then, I plan to being in the gym Fri, Sat, and Sun for an hour.

I enjoy cardio a lot more than strength training, honestly, and I feel it's really helping my weight loss and strength. I think right now I'm doing a lot more than I'll be able to do when I return to work, but then I'll just have to do the most I can with all the paper grading and other things in life!
  • ghisted
    ghisted Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do 1 hour of cardio each day. 30 minutes of aggressive cycling (10 miles on stationary) and 30 minutes running (15 minutes at 7.5 mph and 15 min at 8mph).

I don't think you're doing too much.

My body feels good and I've lost 25 lbs in about 3 months. I eat about 2500 clean calories per day.

Keep it up.