Alternatives to pizza sauce

Options
JoanaMHill
JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
Pizza's one of my weaknesses, and I don't intend on fully giving it up. However tomato sauce is too acid-y for me and can cause indigestion, so I like to have pizza without it if I can. Anyone have good ideas for an alternative base that's a bit healthier and easier on the digestion?

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    White pizza
  • MissMeMandaLee
    MissMeMandaLee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make greek flatbread pizzas. I put sundried tomato paste, kalamata olives and artichokes in my food processor and make it a paste, and use it as sauce(its very flavorful, you don't need much). On top I use low fat mozzarella, diced kalamatas, pepproncinis,sliced artichoke hearts, and chicken breast (which i sautee in a small amount of olive oil and Cavender's greek seasoning).You could bake the chicken too to save calories on the olive oil. Not necessarily an everyday meal, but a delicious treat! By my estimates, two pieces is around 500 cals(If using the Biboli crust). You can use the Biboli premade crust or pita bread, or even make your own.
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    Friend of mine made a vegan pizza with some kind of bean as a sauce (food processor). It was awesome.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I made a white sauce with milk, butter, coconut flour, fresh garlic and salt/pepper a few weeks ago. It was yummy!
  • irunforcookies
    irunforcookies Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love pesto sauce on pizza. Top it with mozzarella and some portobello mushrooms. Yum!
  • Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    Options
    Hi OP;

Pesto makes a great pizza sauce. You might like a basic basil pesto, or something different (walnut, or kalamata olive, or spinach.) Ideas here: http://www.saveur.com/gallery/Pesto-Varieties?page=1

If you're looking for something that's still red, sweet and tangy like tomato sauce, perhaps a roasted capsicum sauce?
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/11279/roasted+capsicum+sauce

Looking forward to everyone's good ideas!
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm not feeling a tomato-based pizza I mix 1 tbsp of EVOO with oregano, garlic, and onion powder and it makes a tasty, very thin layer of "sauce".
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Pizza's one of my weaknesses, and I don't intend on fully giving it up. However tomato sauce is too acid-y for me and can cause indigestion, so I like to have pizza without it if I can. Anyone have good ideas for an alternative base that's a bit healthier and easier on the digestion?

What's pizza without tomato sauce? Much of the acid is due to using preprepared sauces. You could probably make a quick approximation with less acid by food processing some fresh tomatoes and adding some oregano, salt, garlic and other spices. That said, you might be sensitive to tomatoes themselves and not to the acid.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    In Aus, you can get dips in the supermarket that make great pizza sauce. They're mostly pesto- ish with nuts/cheese, but different variations with red capsicum, pumpkin, basil, spinach etc. there are some with different spices (Thai style, Moroccan) that would be a delicious base for a fancier puzza
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Pesto, or brushing the crush with olive oil and drizzling lemon juice over it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^This. You can also add in crushed garlic with the olive oil instead or with the lemon juice. Also alfredo sauce may be something you might try (maybe make your own version of chicken alfredo pizza).
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to make it, but Amy's has a pizza with sweet onion sauce and it's amazing.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Idk about healthier but you can use alfredo. Garlic chicken alfredo pizza. Noms.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    You can use any kind of sauce! Whatever floats your goat, as they say.
    I love pesto on mine as others have suggested. Goes great with mushroom, potato and zucchini. I have seen a moroccan lamb type pizza at my local place that has hummus, so that might be an interesting option too.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I use bbq sauce or sliced fresh tomatoes =)
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    bbq sauce!
  • MissMeMandaLee
    MissMeMandaLee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ^all of these sound good, and made me think of another option. My favorite pizza used to be a thai pizza. I had lots of veggies(red pepper, broccoli, mushrooms,etc), and Mae Ploy Thai chili sauce for the base. and grilled chicken. It was yummy!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    Hummus on pizza, it's great!
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options

OP asks for alternative to pizza sauce because its too acidic and you recommend lemon juice? LOVE IT!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The best pizza I ever had didn't have sauce on it at all. It was goat cheese with olive oil, garlic, onions and tomatoes, but you can obviously leave off the tomatoes.