What carbs should I DEFINITELY stay away from?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The carbs to stay away from include anything refined, or artificially concentrated to a calorie density not found in nature. This includes, but is not limited to, anything with sugar or flour.

What are perfectly acceptable are the unprocessed, unrefined plant based foods. This includes Fruits, veggies, sweet potato, brown rice, oats, quinoa, and even the dreaded white rice and white potato.

Sugar is found in fruits, try again
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    The carbs to stay away from include anything refined, or artificially concentrated to a calorie density not found in nature. This includes, but is not limited to, anything with sugar or flour.

What are perfectly acceptable are the unprocessed, unrefined plant based foods. This includes Fruits, veggies, sweet potato, brown rice, oats, quinoa, and even the dreaded white rice and white potato.

Veggies and Sweet Potato too. lulz.
  • sam7bee
    Options
    Be careful. Everytime I've tried to cut carbs I had a 3000% increase in attraction to them. Some people can go low carb no problem, but I perform and feel better with all varieties of carbs in my diet (the ones I get from whole foods make me more satiated but I don't strictly cut out sugar or anything from my life).
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    The only carbs i stay away from are ones that have been soiled (not negotiable) or dropped on the floor for 5 seconds or longer (sometimes this is a negotiable criteria).
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Carbs have been the bad guy for some time now. :ohwell:
  • eugovogue
    Options

He probably meant added sugar.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Personally, cutting down carbs is the only thing that has really worked. I have done regular calorie counting and even when doing that to the T, I did not lose after a certain point.

I have a lot of diabetes in my family, as well as thyroid issues, and a low carb diet is just going to be the way of life for me going forward.

To answer your question, unlike your brother I did not eliminate all carbs. I keep my carbs low (depends on the day) and get them mainly from vegetables and some fruit. Keep in mind that I am a pescatarian (no meat). Nothing processed, nothing white, nothing sugar. Every once in a while, it's impossible to totally stay away from carbs (especially when out etc.) so I just eat them in moderation. And I do not gain all the weight back overnight. After the initial few days of adjustment, I felt great going low carb and have continued to feel that way. I hardly feel hungry at all. I am sharp, focused, have better memory, lost of energy and just feel great.

I don't think low carb is for everyone. And you're always going to find people that disagree with you. I personally like it and am thriving on it.

Good luck.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with added sugar either.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter what he meant - he has no clue what he's talking about.
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The carbs you should stay away from are the ones that make you go over on your calorie limit for the day. You should stay away from any food that makes you go over unless you exercise some more and then you could eat some more. ;)
    ^^this
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    the only carbs you should stay away from are those on someone elses plate... cos stealing food is rude!

IIFYM, a doughnut wont do you any harm if it fits you calorie goal... carbs arent evil unless you have medical problems of course.

^^ This.
    +1
    +2
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    None...carbs rule!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

What i meant is clearly stated. Some of these nutjobbers actually believe that fruit is bad for you because it contains sugar. To them, a pile of white refined crystalline sugar sitting on the counter is the exact same thing as a mango.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

What i meant is clearly stated. Some of these nutjobbers actually believe that fruit is bad for you because it contains sugar. To them, a pile of white refined crystalline sugar sitting on the counter is the exact same thing as a mango.
    Actually you told people to avoid anything that contains sugar or flour, then in the next breath told them to eat fruit.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    NONE! There is no such thing as a "bad" carbohydrate, barring any allergies or other medical conditions.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Purple ones.

Purple carbs are the worst.

image001.jpg

:drinker:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Purple ones.

image001.jpg

Point proven.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    know white potatos, white bread, and white rice (yuck) are terrible for you.

No they're not....they can all be part of a nutritious and balanced diet. White potatoes are chalk full of minerals and vitamins...there is absolutely nothing wrong with white potatoes. You're just buying into the latest and greatest dietary boogie man myths...stop reading stupid **** and eat a well balanced diet that is rich in nutrient dense foods....last I checked, a potato was a pretty nutrient dense whole food.

No need to be patronizing when it comes to helping out those who are just beginning this healthy lifestyle journey. Especially no need to post twice with the same self-righteous snark.
    I've associated white potatoes with "bad" because of what it does to blood sugar, and the fact that diabetes is in my family. I still will mostly never eat them.

How was the comment you quoted "self-righteous?" Here's self righteous for you: Diabetic? Want a potato? Add plenty of butter and at least 4 ounces of protein. You're welcome!

Facts are facts and myths are myths. :smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Purple ones.

image001.jpg

Point proven.

My family still has not forgiven me for serving this thing and calling it "Parmesan." :laugh:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Although I don't agree with your method, you have to be more clear on here cause many have the reading comprehension skills of a 2nd grader.