Experienced less cravings when stopped drinking diet coke???

Options
Hi, i was wondering if anyone had stopped drinking diet drinks and experienced fewer cravings? I am thinking of trying this. Or has anyone done this and it didnt help with hunger or cravings? Thank u.

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Diet Pepsi by the gallon and I've cut back a lot. I still have one once in a while. Cravings aren't bad at all. I get fewer headaches so it was well worth it.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    While Aspartame isn't "bad" for you, it has been linked to promote food cravings.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of different experience on this. I used to drink 1-2 diet sodas every day. I tried to completely quit and found that I was being unreasonable thinking I'd never drink soda again. I do only drink it a few times per week now and have noticed a difference. I think part of it is because I would be in a mindset where I was going to have soda AND a treat. I'm not sure if it reduced cravings for me but I do tend to eat less when I don't drink it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet soda thinking it might help with cravings and just overall weight loss. Nope, not at all. Made no difference (good or bad) in anything that I could tell, quite honestly.

FTR I was not a HEAVY soda fan. I was drinking a lot of water along with the diet soda and still drink a lot of water now. I had about 5-7 diet sodas per week, very rarely two in the same day.

In fact if anything it just caused me to be more constipated from time to time (during months of NO SODA AT ALL)...and some say different diet soda sweeteners can act as a very mild laxative. I'm now back to drinking about 3-4 cans per week because I like the taste of it.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet soda sometimes to keep myself from eating...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i drink a ton and no cravings here. although my doctor did say that it could trigger sugar cravings. i also dont experience that either.

then again i eat filling foods with lots of protein and healthy fats so that might also have more to do with why i dont have food cravings
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I find diet soda to be mildly satiating rather than hunger-inducing.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    this.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    this.

and you couldn't "this" MY "that"?

I need a razor and a tanning booth stat...
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have found cutting down on my diet mountain dews helped me not crave sweets. But the only reason I cut down was on the advice of my doctor because I'm prone to UTIs and sodas of any kind irritate the bladder. Not craving sweets as much was just a side effect I noticed and didn't mind at all! Did nothing for overall hunger though just helped me not obsess over sugar.

I think you're reaction to diet soda is a very individual thing with a lot of factors.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was really addicted to diet soda. I used to chain-drink them (is that a thing?). I could have anywhere from 6-8 cans and a large fountain drink. I was an extreme case, and I cut it down because an addiction to anything isn't good. I don't believe diet soda is unhealthy, but for me the dependence was mentally unhealthy. I would drink it after a meal to feel less full, because I hate the feeling of being full. That was unhealthy too. I'm not sure why it made me feel less full. Maybe the acid/carbonation.

Now I have cut back and I don't have any soda in the house but I'll get it if I'm out to eat. It's a much better balance. It hasn't changed anything diet-wise except I'm now fine without drinking soda after my meal. My meal size hasn't changed, just my attitude.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    this.

and you couldn't "this" MY "that"?

I need a razor and a tanning booth stat...

meh. It could have been his elegant language.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

QFT!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Not at all.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Diet soda never makes me crave things. I usually drink it to fill myself up when I can't/don't want to eat more.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thank u for ur responses :) I have to admit im alittle surprised to find that for most of u it didnt decrease cravings.....and alittle disappointed i have to admit. I wanted to hear that it did marvelous things for cravings if u stopped drinking it lol.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    For me it depends. Sometimes I definitely crave carb after having some. Sometimes I can have it and I have no effect.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    actually helps me replace drinking caloric sodas which is one of the ways I lose weight
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thank u for ur responses :) I have to admit im alittle surprised to find that for most of u it didnt decrease cravings.....and alittle disappointed i have to admit. I wanted to hear that it did marvelous things for cravings if u stopped drinking it lol.

give it a try wont hurt, but if you find that you begin replacing it with caloric beverages you are defeating your efforts. Honestly, a diet soda, lots of water, and sugar free gum have helped me break some pretty nasty binge cycles.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I find that drinking fizzy drinks makes me crave unhealthier food.. just as they are sorta related, even if it is diet or low sugar, I got a top notch water bottle and so drink loads of water now and now when I drink fizzy stuff it makes me feel very bleh and unhealthy