When do I get to buy new clothes?

Options

Replies

• wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am at a weird stage right now, I have lost a little over 25 pounds, and everything is to big... but I feel like it will be awkward to walk into the store and grab a size 4, 6, 8, and 10 in the same pants to see what the heck fits!

It's "wierd", but such an ego-booster!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    goodwill is and always has been my best friend! u can find decent clothes there for super cheap and if u find the right stuff on the right day they can be half price or only a dollar. everyones diff but about 20 lbs in is when i needed new stuff. just pants mostly
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I didn't have that much to lose, and I don't have that much more. I'm still fitting into my clothes from when I was heavier. Granted they were tighter when I was heavier, too. I have to wait until I"m back in the US though to go buy new ones. For now I"m just using a belt if need be.

Don't feel embarrassed about grabbing multiple sizes, it's normal to try on different sizes, and it saves time in the dressing room!
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with some of the other posters, wait until you are closer to your goal. I only bought clothes if I absolutely needed to because I dropped down so many sizes so far and I am still about 30 lbs away. I started at about 26/28 (4x/5x) women's sizes and I am getting a feel now of where I will end up so I feel more comfortable buying clothes in a Large/XL. But before then, I literally only bought stuff as I needed it. I had to make a trip in October and the stuff I bought for that trip are already too big for me which is a great feeling, but an awful waste of money
  • Tffanie4712
    Options
    I wear most of my clothing pretty much big anyhow,but my opinion for myself. I will not be purchasing any clothes until I am down to my goal body fat.I still have clothing that fits me . This makes me work harder.(this works for me)
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This is in reference to a ton of different posts in this thread...but I just do not get it. HOW could you wear the same jeans after losing 60-80 lb? Makes no sense to me at all. If I put on my old size 22 jeans they would fall down. If I wore a belt I'd still look so weird that my family and friends would stage an intervention with me. In fact, my husband and mom both seriously begged me to get rid of some "cute" 2X and 3X tops several months ago, because they looked absurd. I don't get it....why wouldn't you drop $50 on a mini wardrobe at Goodwill?

I was wondering the same. The only things i could think of is they have a lot of clothing they shrunk into. At 50lbs lost (278->228) i was swimmng in my starting pants. Although most shirts while baggy were still wearable. Now that im about 210, my starting pants completely slide off my hips, buttoned. There's no altering or belting those babies (im not complaining).

Oh im 5'5" at 278 i was a 22 (maybe 24 but i wasn't buying larger pant) / at 210, im a tight 16/very loose 18.

I hung out at 22 & 20 for maybe 40lbs. The next 30lbs (almost!) I've seen the most changes to my form & size.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda the opposite. My whole closet for the most part is from when i was 130-155 lbs. I had more muscle at 155 so the clothes fit about the same. As I slowly gained 30 lbs up to 180 I refused to buy new clothes. I have be in shape my whole life and didn't want to accept that I was bigger and my clothes didn't fit anymore. I have bought maybe 2 pairs of pants to fit my bigger body and not much else. I have basically been living in tshirts and like 1-2 pairs of jeans and sweatpants. I always told myself I would lose the weight, I didn't want to have all these bigger useless clothes. Anyway I have a whole full wardrobe of clothes for when I lose the weight.

me too:embarassed:
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    This is in reference to a ton of different posts in this thread...but I just do not get it. HOW could you wear the same jeans after losing 60-80 lb? Makes no sense to me at all. If I put on my old size 22 jeans they would fall down. If I wore a belt I'd still look so weird that my family and friends would stage an intervention with me. In fact, my husband and mom both seriously begged me to get rid of some "cute" 2X and 3X tops several months ago, because they looked absurd. I don't get it....why wouldn't you drop $50 on a mini wardrobe at Goodwill?

I was wondering the same. The only things i could think of is they have a lot of clothing they shrunk into. At 50lbs lost (278->228) i was swimmng in my starting pants. Although most shirts while baggy were still wearable. Now that im about 210, my starting pants completely slide off my hips, buttoned. There's no altering or belting those babies (im not complaining).

Oh im 5'5" at 278 i was a 22 (maybe 24 but i wasn't buying larger pant) / at 210, im a tight 16/very loose 18.

I hung out at 22 & 20 for maybe 40lbs. The next 30lbs (almost!) I've seen the most changes to my form & size.

Some people wear baggier pants in general, which is part of the reason. I don't even like pants, so having them too baggy drives me crazy. Shirts, however, I'll probably wear for awhile. A lot of the styles that I wear (which are popular on many larger women) are usually pretty flowy and forgiving, and will look at least decent even if they don't technically fit. I'd rather just buy pants than have to get a whole new wardrobe for the next 50 pounds.
  • supaflyrobby
    Options
    I sort of lucked out in that I still had a ton of old stuff back at my parents house that they never got rid of (My parents are not the garage sale type).

Though now I am approaching the point when even they are no longer going to be adequate anymore, so I will have to break down and buy some new gear in the next month or so at my current level of progression. At present, the stuff I currently have is very loose fitting, but not to the point that they look ridiculous just yet. I also picked up a few pairs of cheap used jeans and shirts off of Ebay to tide me over during this transitional period. I am not going to throw down tons of cash on nice clothing that will be useless after a couple of months.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I started out at 167lbs & probably a size 13 US (didn't wear clothes that fit me properly), at around 150lbs I was a 9/10 US, I weigh 130lbs & now wear 6/7 US. I have 3 pairs of 9/10 jeans because I stayed that size for a long time, and 3 pairs of 6/7 jeans because I forsee that I'll be this size for a few more months. I think I'll be a 4/5 if I lose another 15lbs, which will take probably 6 months. But every person is different & is shaped differently. My thighs are huge & may prevent me from dropping lower than a 5.
    I was an XL shirt, now I'm a M, but I find that shirts are much more forgiving than jeans.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    In the past 60 days I have lost only 9.2lbs. I did, however, lose 14.5 inches in that same period of time.

I spend more of my time weight training than doing cardio. I don't lose as many pounds but boy am I losing inches. I've gone down 2 pant sizes also.

I'd recommend adding weight training to your routine.
  • wanderlustre_
    Options
    i think one very big tip to note when losing weight is, DON'T LOOK AND ANALYZE WHAT YOU HAVE LOST. this would give your mind and body the satisfaction that "oh, I've already lost weight!" this makes your body lose its main motivation and 'push'. This makes future workouts even tougher to start and to go through it!

Satisfaction is super duper dangerous, set your standards high!!
    And i noticed i lost pants size about 8 months later of active training 7 days a week, once daily for 2 hours. In a year i dropped 4 pants size in my first part of my journey. I hope this helped (:

Amanda!
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I bought new jeans and pants when I was at about 157. Now 150. This worked out well because winter shirts tend to be thicker. Add a turtle neck under it, and that is a lot of clothes to be tucking in. I sure as hell didn't work this hard to wear a shirt like a moo moo. As with many of you, I am sure, having less boys fat causes us to be colder than past winters.

I am in the same shirt size (M), the difference is, I need slim fit. At that, not all slim fit shirts are small enough at the waist. The dress shirts that I had, and still in new condition will be altered. There is an alterations shop not far from my office that does great work at a very reasonable price. I buy good clothes, when on a great sale, so even with alterations, still a great bargain.
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started out in September at a size 16 jeans that were VERY tight, probably should've been wearing a size 18. About a month ago I got tired of always hitching those up because they kept falling down and made a trip to the store. I was pleasantly surprised I needed a size 12! Shed a couple happy tears in the dressing room I was so happy. hehe Now THOSE are starting to look baggy and I'm playing the hitching game again. I think I'll take the advice of others this time and check out Goodwill. I'm only half way to my goal and don't have a lot of money, so I'll save any full wardrobe purchases until I'm there. :)
  • ulyssescomplido
    ulyssescomplido Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with you
  • craigfaggionato
    craigfaggionato Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    General rule is for every 10 lbs lost, it equals about an inch off the waist. So, every 20 lbs equals new clothes. I shopped at TJ Maxx and Ross as I was dropping weight due to cost. BTW, have lost 100 lbs. I had to buy new clothes every season change for about 6 years.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, it's differnet with everyone. I've lost a ton of weight and even though some of it has come off my waist and hips, I've lost it substantially in my back, shoulders, face and chest. So much in those areas that I've dropped huge sizes in shirts (3x to Large), but I'm still wearing the same pants I started out in only now I wear them with a belt.

I've accepted that I'll have baggy pants for a while. It's cool. I go out and buy a new shirt, new bra, that kind of thing periodically so that not ALL of my clothes hang off me like curtains, but I have been keeping those purchases minimal. It's going to get too expensive too fast to replace sizes as I go. I'll need to go get new pants soon just because the belt is no longer enough to keep them up (my butt is shrinking faster than my waist.)

Now that I'm in some smaller sizes I have better luck finding them at the thrift store or from friends who have lost weight. I'm ok with hand me downs for now until I'm at a size where I'm not going to change so much. I think it is important to have a few outfits that fit well enough - maybe not perfect - but well enough so you feel good about yourself and your acocmplishments, but wait on the new clothes until you're closer to being done. Unless you've got cash you can spend! Then buy whatever you want.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Cant believe everybody is treating this as a serious question.....
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It's very interesting to see the huge variance in dress size for weight - not completely explained by just height either - body frame and how we store fat definitely has a lot to do with it as well.

For myself, I've lost 33lb and have yet to go shopping. That's partly because I've a wardrobe full of trousers and dresses that I bought because I (thought I) was a UK20. They didn't fit, so back of the closet they went. Now they do fit (and some are starting to get a little loose!) I've probably dropped about a dress size in those 33lb, if I'm being honest and admit I really was a UK22. I'm starting to eye up the UK18s now. But with trepidation because I gave away all my old 18s when I moved three years ago, so I'll have nothing at all to wear! If I can make it to the 16s quickly though, I'll be able to start pilfering too-big-for-my-wife's clothes!

The big shock has been bra size, though. I've not bought a bra yet, but I really need to as the back rides up all the time and it's starting to get very uncomfortable. I wasn't expecting any loss there at all (I was a 36" back at 168lb and was a tight 38" at 238lb.) I'm expecting to get back into 36" when I do go shopping. Of course, I have to buy them new and, because of my large cup size (currently unknown due to the aforementioned weightloss, but the H cups seem to be holding!), bras are very expensive new.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Used clothing stores are your friend right now.

I went through so many clothes this year. Everything was too big. Now everything is too small! I had the coolest stuff from my trip to japan, very form fitting clothes for the summer. I tried to put on one of the polo shirts last week and the arms looked ridiculous.