What was the last book you read?

Options

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I bought a Kindle and read several things at the same time, including:

The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking by Oliver Burkeman;

Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana;

À la recherche du temps perdu by Proust.
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. Highly recommend
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    With or Without You By Domenica Ruta
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    World After by Susan EE & The Falconer by Elizabeth May

Before that I finally succumbed to peer pressure and read the Harry Potter books -- a decade late, I know.

I participate in the Goodreads challenge every year. 2013 was 2 books a month. next year I'm bumping it to four.
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    50 shades of grey.

Haha no not really.

Actually reading the women of the cousins war, it's fascinating I love it

Eta: someone asked about book collections, I have two shelves and a few piles, also have about six boxes full in the garage of old ones that were my dads and grandparents
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    The Screwtape Letters- CS Lewis

This which got me interested in "The Everlasting Man" by GK Chesterton
  • vniemo2
    vniemo2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    "The Potter's Son". Awesome love story!!
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Just finished The Hunger Games...for the second time. o.O
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some good books. Who has a book collection? Not 2 books but a book stand or shelves full of books?

Let me put it this way: when my partner and I moved 1400 miles, we sent most (but not all) of our books via Media Mail to our destination post office. When we reached our new home by rental van and emptied it of furniture, we drove the van to pick up all our Media Mail boxes. We had sent close to the limit they could store for us, which was 100 boxes. When we picked them up, the postal worker said, "You must have a ton of books here!" I knew what our receipts said, so I replied, "More like a ton and a quarter."

We both had grown up in houses filled with books.

My most recent completed read is _Psychology of Space Flight_, a free ebook from NASA (which has loads of free ebooks available at http://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/).

I'm currently reading two books simultaneously. In hardcover, I'm reading Armin Schnider's _The Confabulating Mind: How the Brain Creates Reality_. On my Kobo Mini, I'm reading Vol. 1 of _History of Woman Suffrage_ (Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony, and Matilda Joslyn Gage, Eds.) thanks to Project Gutenberg (www.gutenberg.org/), a fabulous repository of free ebooks.

As far as fiction goes, this year I've read the (so far) five volumes of George R.R. Martin's _A Song of Ice and Fire_ and finished reading Stephen Baxter's four-volume _Time's Tapestry_ series, for starters.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Just got done reading the Divergent series by Veronica Roth

Then The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Now reading the Wind up Bird Chronicles and Assassination Vacation (non-fiction, but humorous) by Sarah Vowell

Also Free for Kinde today Eat for Heat a metabolic approach for food and drink. So I will be reading that too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AGBH7FO/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk
  • marcimlarson
    Options
    SOLO by Rana Dasgupta
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've read 161 books in 2013. My Goodreads Challenge was 150. Among the best:

The Goldfinch by Donna Tarte
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Powell (YA)
    The Fault in our Stars by John Green
    Son of a Gun by Justin St. Germaine
    11/22/63 by Stephen King
    Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
    The Round House by Louise Erdrich
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
    Canada by Richard Ford
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    reality transurfing volume 1
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Takedown Twenty by Janet Evanovich. The Stephanie Plum Series.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    "Ghost Spin" by Chris Moriarty

Almost finished with "VN" by Madeline Ashby
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Definitely my thread. I have two four foot bookcases in my closet, one of unread books, one "read and I'm not getting rid of" books. I have a series of books I read as a kid, my parents used to buy me one or two for my good report cards. Never getting rid of those. I now am a huge fan of my Kindle. :heart: I'm at the age of reading glasses and they give me a headache so my reading suffered the past few years. The Kindle with the adjustable font and backlight makes it easier to read. If my house ever went up in flames, it'd be one of the things I grab as I flee. I do a book challenge on Goodreads and I beat the number I set for this year a month or two ago. Last year I didn't make the same number.

Doing a lot of mystery/action/romance combos lately. One series I recently and sadly finished was about a family called Bombay who have been assassins throughout history. Quick reads, funny, romance, danger. Found the first one on one of Amazon's emails about free books. Leslie Langtry is the author if anyone is interested. I also take advantage of my Amazon Prime membership and am reading a free book each month, currently enjoying a mystery series.

If the idiots at work would hurry up with this meeting I'm teleconferencing, I could go finish my book.

I'm a Goodreads addict too :happy:
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    Just got done reading the Divergent series by Veronica Roth

Then The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Now reading the Wind up Bird Chronicles and Assassination Vacation (non-fiction, but humorous) by Sarah Vowell

Also Free for Kinde today Eat for Heat a metabolic approach for food and drink. So I will be reading that too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AGBH7FO/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Loved Divergent (not so much Insurgent) The Night Circus is such an amazing book :heart:
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    World After by Susan EE & The Falconer by Elizabeth May

Before that I finally succumbed to peer pressure and read the Harry Potter books -- a decade late, I know.

I participate in the Goodreads challenge every year. 2013 was 2 books a month. next year I'm bumping it to four.

Good to see another Penryn fan :bigsmile: I read over 300 books last year and Angelfall was my favorite-definitely on my top five list, of all time favorite books! I have World After sitting on my desk-hope to get to it next week sometime.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Psych's Guide to Crime Fighting For the Completely Unqualified

Oh wait no, I think it was Raptor Red.