Hate Working Out!

Options
I am working with a personal trainer and to tell you the truth, if I hadn't paid in advance, I probably wouldn't go. She's great, but I just hate working out. I feel awful while I'm doing it and I feel awful afterward. I know I'm way out of shape and everyone says it will get easier, but I absolutely dread my workout days. Anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    How long have you been going? Give it time. When you start seeing and feeling progress you'll like it better. And don't underestimate the power of a positive attitude. Keep telling yourself you are having FUN (or at least try to limit the negative thoughts) and soon you will be. Good luck and don't give up.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when i started 1.5yrs ago with a trainer I hated it too. It took a good 3 months to get in the habit of working out. I finally "enjoy" it and look forward to my workouts and get grouchy if I have to miss. I had to keep reminding myself of the end goal; healthier better me. :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    No. In fact, I've been sick for 4 days and I'm upset that I'm unable to work out.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope. Love it, it does wonders to your body. :happy:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I still hate it and I've been working out regularly for almost a year. So I got to disagree with the other posters, you won't necessarily like it. It's a necessary evil for me really, which might be why I haven't got the results I would have expected by now... but when you hate it, you hate it, lol. I like walking, so it's what I do the most, but that's pretty much the extend of it... and unfortunately it's not cutting it. At least with a trainer you can't give up in the middle of it or do a half assed workout like I end up doing most of the time.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't like it. I feel accomplished afterward, and guilty if I don't, but I hate the actual work out. I wheeze, I sweat, I chafe, I feel self conscious, it hurts often.... just not fun. I do it anyway because I know I should. :P
  • JJJJ25
    JJJJ25 Posts: 37
    Options
    What do your workouts consist of? I hate running on a treadmill but like going for a jog outside. I HATE spin classes but love weight lifting. Maybe you haven't found your preferred workout yet?
  • skyisover
    skyisover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hate working out, I've only recently discovered a tolerable cardio - my MIL's old recumbent bike she let me have after getting herself a nice new eliptical. The bike incorporates my laziness and lack of motivation with my desire to stay fit. I just drag it in front of the tv or get some good tunes going and make a distance goal. I usually go through 250-300 calories in about 25 mins. It's great!
  • MauxFaux
    Options
    Find what you enjoy doing. If you hate the workouts you're doing you're not going to stick with them. Find something you enjoy first and get in the habit of regular exercise. You can always add in the stuff you hate but is good for you later on. Knowing you can like exercise is the first step to sticking with the stuff you don't like long enough to start liking it. I've actively hated running for many years. However I've motivated by signing up for a pretty significant race to start a running program. I hated every run for the first 6 weeks or so but now I quite look forward to them. I have a background of exercise for fun though, I enjoy all the other things I do.
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    I hated it when I started, too. Same as you, I'd paid a trainer who had me doing stuff I hate (running running jumping jacks running running burpees more running). Combination of finding something I enjoyed doing and making friends at the gym turned it around.

Maybe let your trainer know that you're miserable and she/he should mix it up a little?
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Starting out always sucks. Your body is fighting you because it isn't used to being strained like this. However, it will get easier. Having a friend huffing and puffing next to you helps too, because you can motivate one another when someone wants to quit. Find an activity you enjoy, such as walking, Zumba (really fun!), etc. I discovered that I love lifting weights and HATE running on the treadmill. So I do a lot of lifting and a little treadmill. You just have to find your niche.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I go in and out of phases, i'll go everyday for a week then only go once or twice the next week. It's been harder lately to get myself out of bed and to the gym, damn you winter. Damn you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sorry can't relate..i like picking heavy stuff up and putting it down...
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    sorry can't relate..i like picking heavy stuff up and putting it down...

This. Add running to the mix as well. Just love to feel my body in motion
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am nursing a sprained ankle and would love to be able to go workout.

If you dont like it, find something you do enjoy or just dont work out.
  • krstark234
    Options
    I hate working out... have always hated it, I may have been one of the only kids in my high school to consistently cut gym glass, to me it wasn't an easy a, it was a pain in the rear.... I like hiking and swimming, playing sports, anything that made the work out seem like fun, but I have never fallen in love with any form of working out. I have tried everything and while some are tolerable, I still have to make myself do it. I love the after feeling and I love how I feel now that I'm more active. For me, once I found some motivation, like a dress I really wanted to wear for a special occasion, or the thrill of seeing my feet when I look down, going fishing with my family and not getting winded just walking the trail down to the water, etc. That's when I felt like I started hating it less, I still don't really like it, but I've found things to drive me. For everyone it's different, maybe a class reunion where you want to look stunning, an ex who you'd like to make drool over you, your kids that you want to be more active with or whatever, once you find it, you may learn to not mind it as much, you just have to find whatever mindset makes you wanna kick *kitten* and take names. You can do it!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running.. but once i got in shape and tried it again.. I'm loving it.
    I spent months at the gym "faking it" when I first started.. but once i got in better shape and lost some weight it was easier and I started to love it.
    I started taking classes and trying all the different things they offer.
    I hate the treadmill, so i rarely do it.. I play basketball right now for cardio or run outside.
    I pick the trainers brains about exercises and how to use equipment and I ask them to show me how to do new exercises and then watch me do a few.
    I have to keep it new, fresh and challenging.
    even the classes.. I get bored if they don't change them up fairly often.

Find what you like and do that.... now i get grumpy if I miss a day.. and I am having a really hard time scaling back my workout time.. If i'm not exhausted, then I don't feel like I've done enough..
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    I hate the wheezing (damn you, asthma), sweating, general uncomfortable feeling being a beginner working out but I do love the sore feeling afterwards. Weird, I know. I also like the feeling I get from working out, it makes me feel proud of myself.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    I hate the wheezing (damn you, asthma), sweating, general uncomfortable feeling being a beginner working out but I do love the sore feeling afterwards. Weird, I know. I also like the feeling I get from working out, it makes me feel proud of myself.

I don't go to the gym, though. I know it's stupid but I feel really insecure about working out in front of a bunch of people.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I hated it too. I hated it with a passion. But, after enough time even I became addicted. Now people have to force me to take rest days. Hang in there. It WILL get easier. It WILL become a need. You can do this.