Snacks for the evening

Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If calories allow I like to have two pieces of toast with 1 serving of natural peanut butter.

It's warm. It's filling. It's protein. And it's YUM!

Haha....PB is fat. You're kidding yourself if you think it's a protein!

I'm not sure one can just simplify everything and dismiss others opinions. This forum can be used to help and motivate people or used to tear people down. I personally appreciate the positive responses and advice.

Completely agree. Who cares if it's protein or not? It's beside the subject. I like positivity also.

I care if it's protein or not when someone specifically writes that it's protein. Misinforming someone isn't helpful.
    Peanut butter has the same carbs per serve as protein, but you don't see anyone eating it because it's a carb, do you?
  • queenbekks
    queenbekks Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Depends whether I want salty or sweet: 1 pc of whole wheat toast with either: 1 tbsp of PB and half a sliced banana OR 1 tbsp goat cheese and apple slices.
  • fitcanpro
    Options
    I bought a popcorn popper for $15 at walmart and buy bags of kernales for a couple bucks which lasts me a while. Popcorn is a great light snack and instead of putting butter i'll make my own dressing using olive/coconut/grapeseed oil with a little cayenne pepper, garlic or curry powder. This is my favorite!

If I crave something sweet I might just chop up an apple and sprinkle a bit of cinnamon.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    My usual last snack of the night this winter has been a super easy mug cake:

2 TBS Hershey's Cocoa powder (I've had the best luck with this brand),
    2 tsp Nectresse (you could of course use your own sweetener),
    1 egg white,
    dash of water

Stir it all together in a mug (it takes a while to get to the right consistency; just keep stirring) and then nuke it for 1 minute. I like to leave it in the microwave for a little while after it finishes, as I've had better luck with it holding its texture and not falling when I do that.

Really yummy, low calorie, and high protein (45 cals, 15 carbs, 1 fat, 7 protein, 8 iron).
  • gloriaqzhao
    gloriaqzhao Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yum! red bell peppers are sweet and crunchy, loaded with vitamin C. I also like English cucumber or baby carrots with hummus
  • gloriaqzhao
    gloriaqzhao Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've got to try this tonight. Does it taste like a chocolate pudding? or chocolate cake?
  • shellskeller
    Options
    I keep fresh fruit on hand. I also like fruit cups with chopped fruit it it's own juice.
  • veggiebuckeye
    veggiebuckeye Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I eat a variety of things (PB2, low calorie jams etc...) in fat free Greek Yogurt.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bell peppers and hummus ... yum.
    Almonds and raisins/cranberries
    protein powder in plain greek yogurt

Just my top 3 :-)
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump for later referral
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I typically eat the same snackage every night- 20g Special K cracker chips, a Laughing Cow cheese wedge, 2 pieces of Whoppers mini eggs, and some sort of alcoholic beverage (light beer or liquor w/diet soda). That precise little combo settles any cravings for something salty, sweet, delicious cheesiness, and booze without breaking the calorie bank. Also, I'm a creature of habit.
  • hoop0372
    Options
    My go to's are:

1.) Popcorn-I have a stove top popcorn maker
    2.) Green olives-I'll just have a few if I'm really craving something salty
    3.) Whole grain pretzel twists-there's 8 in a serving
    4.) Kale Chips-so good!
    5.) Sugar free candy or Dark chocolate-for the sweet tooth

You can also take canned garbanzo beans (drain and rinse them), spread them out on a cookie sheet, drizzle with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer),then season them with garlic, salt & cayenne pepper and roast them in the oven at 400 degrees, stirring occassionally, until they get crispy. YUM!
  • km180
    km180 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I often brew a cup of Crio Bru on nights when I want something to eat but don't have any calories remaining. I love Crio Bru. It is simply roasted cocoa beans that are ground up and brewed like coffee. It is not sweet like hot chocolate, very different from that; more bitter like coffee. It has a fantastic chocolate aroma. It is only 20 calories for a 12 oz serving, full of antioxidants and very soothing. Sometimes I'll eat a banana with it. The sweetness of the banana mixed with the chocolate flavor of the Crio Bru is an excellent combination.
  • soldierofgod713
    soldierofgod713 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have lowfat frozen vanilla yogurt, with a tablespoon of low fat PB and a teaspoon of honey, soo good!
  • ejsherms
    ejsherms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I legitimately enjoy all the healthy suggestions from mandarins to assorted veggies. But the best defense against my unhealthy night snacking is not having the temptation in the pantry. It is easier to pick up the veggies when there are no unhealthy choices to distract.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not crave snacks much after dinner which is funny to me, because I DO crave snacks during the afternoon. But if I have excess calories at the end of the day I try to end with protein whenever possible such as a boiled egg, string cheese, or nuts.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I am craving. Usually I have a weight watchers ice cream cup. If I am looking for something crunchy, I usually tun to Boom Chicka Pop - at only 35 calories/cup!!
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    This is such a handy thread - there are about 200 awesome snack suggestions in here!

I'd like to bump this discussion in a completely different direction for one moment.... And if someone else already said this forgive me, there are four pages to this thread and I just couldn't read it all!

For those folks who have difficulty with controlling themselves after dinner, I have good news for you!! And that is: There is NOTHING wrong with you and you should feel absolutely fine about eating that time of day! :) This just so happens to be the time of day you specifically crave most of your calories and there's NOTHING wrong with that.

The trick? Is to learn to work WITH it, not to simply try to hang on by your fingernails.

My advice: stop fighting yourself and instead come up with a plan and strategy to leave yourself lots of good calories for that time of day, then eat eat eat w/out guilt!

There are many ways to do this: eating less calories earlier in the day is the most obvious strategy, but how does one do that and not starve? Well, you'll have to be very deliberate in your food choices - picking meals and snacks that are filling and satiating but lower in cals. Things high in fiber, protein, calcium, and most importantly, volume. Maybe eat a lighter dinner. Then decide how many calories you can eat a night, have your arsenal of healthy but tasty after-dinner snacks ready in your fridge/pantry, and have at it.

Problem: solved. :)
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    This is such a handy thread - there are about 200 awesome snack suggestions in here!

I'd like to bump this discussion in a completely different direction for one moment.... And if someone else already said this forgive me, there are four pages to this thread and I just couldn't read it all!

For those folks who have difficulty with controlling themselves after dinner, I have good news for you!! And that is: There is NOTHING wrong with you and you should feel absolutely fine about eating that time of day! :) This just so happens to be the time of day you specifically crave most of your calories and there's NOTHING wrong with that.

The trick? Is to learn to work WITH it, not to simply try to hang on by your fingernails.

My advice: stop fighting yourself and instead come up with a plan and strategy to leave yourself lots of good calories for that time of day, then eat eat eat w/out guilt!

There are many ways to do this: eating less calories earlier in the day is the most obvious strategy, but how does one do that and not starve? Well, you'll have to be very deliberate in your food choices - picking meals and snacks that are filling and satiating but lower in cals. Things high in fiber, protein, calcium, and most importantly, volume. Maybe eat a lighter dinner. Then decide how many calories you can eat a night, have your arsenal of healthy but tasty after-dinner snacks ready in your fridge/pantry, and have at it.

Problem: solved. :)
    Ok but my wife says Dr. Oz recommends the bulk of the calories be eaten before 3-4pm when the metabolism is still cranking away. So I'm not sure...I mean he is a doctor (tv)...lol
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    If calories allow I like to have two pieces of toast with 1 serving of natural peanut butter.

It's warm. It's filling. It's protein. And it's YUM!

Haha....PB is fat. You're kidding yourself if you think it's a protein!

I'm not sure one can just simplify everything and dismiss others opinions. This forum can be used to help and motivate people or used to tear people down. I personally appreciate the positive responses and advice.

Completely agree. Who cares if it's protein or not? It's beside the subject. I like positivity also.

I care if it's protein or not when someone specifically writes that it's protein. Misinforming someone isn't helpful.
    Peanut butter has the same carbs per serve as protein, but you don't see anyone eating it because it's a carb, do you?

I eat ice cream for an evening snack because it helps me hit my fat, carbs and a little bit of protein. Does that make me bad? ;) oh, I also eat it because it's delicious.