overcoming eating way too much

Options

Replies

• tonidarlingx
    tonidarlingx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't overeaten in the point of too many meals or too many snacks but absolutely MASSIVE portions in meals. Far, far too much.

What's helping me is having my calorie goal here on MFP and recipes from online. It's just me and my husband so I look for recipes for 2 (or 4 and half them) and stick to that - they're the correct portion sizes so if I cook that, I eat the right amount. I can't eat what I haven't cooked :)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Log everything, look for patterns. Knowing what you are really doing will help you modify your behaviors. (If you skip lunch, are you ravenous at dinner leading to overeating? Too much food in one snack leaves you sluggish? Do you have a better/easier day with a small breakfast or a larger one or none? Do veggies satisfy you as a snack, or do you need something with protein and fat to satiate you?) While it holds true for everyone that creating a calorie deficit is the key to weight loss...HOW you create a deficit and stick to it will depend on your own experiences and preferences. For example, I'm not always hungry in the morning, and I love to eat at night, so I often have my first meal around noon, and then 2 snacks after dinner. (This only works if skipping breakfast doesn't make you crazy hungry)

People do talk about carbs a lot, and not everyone agrees on how many carbs is the right amount, but many carb-heavy foods ARE calorie dense, and often less satisfying than other things, therefor they aren't always the best use of calories for a lot of us. I don't do low carb, but i try (not always successfully!) to be selective about them. Sometimes I can't get my hand out of that bag of chips...but 500 calories later I'm still hungry.

Regarding cravings...when we're used to overeating, our bodies hunger cues get really screwed up. This does get easier, though it's impossible to tell you how long it will take you. I do think it's important to pay attention to how you feel, without letting it control you. One thing that's important to learn is that it's ok to feel hungry, you won't die or pass out from skipping that extra portion or saying no to the extra snack. A rumbling belly doesn't mean you need to put food in it. Of course, this requires you to learn what your body DOES need so you can eat appropriately while ignoring those hunger cues...you don't wanna just not eat. People go about this differently. For ME, at first, this meant eating at regular, planned intervals throughout the day. (Planning and logging the day ahead of time can really help with this) I knew that waiting a few hours between meals/snacks wouldn't kill me no matter how much I wanted to eat. I stopped letting my hunger cues dictate meal times and portion sizes and made informed choices instead. Once it becomes easier to have control over those things, you can start tweaking the system. (Please note: if you are diabetic or have low blood sugar, then meal timing becomes important to keep things level, talk to your doctor if that's the case!)
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Hello. As I REbegin my weight loss journey (for the zillionth time) ... Just looking for some ideas to get restarted.
    and OP redeactivated... :huh:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Your body craves when it is deficient in nutrients. When you choose to feed cravings with nutrient poor food choices, you don't satisfy your body so it keeps searching...and you keep eating. Usually more nutrient poor choices...which means you keep eating...and overeating happens!

Make good choices - don't eat low carb, but choose nutrient dense choices that'll satisfy your body's needs. Include plenty of protein and good fats with every meal. These will satisfy you for much longer than carbs, and if you really listen to your body you'll likely find you aren't especially hungry between meals. Don't eat out of habit, or boredom....plan your meals, have them all prepared with times to eat and stick to it!
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    When I started here I was eating between 3,000-5,000 calories a day. (Thinking back that is so gross.)

I made a huge change. No pop, no fast food, no candy, no fried foods. I did a complete detox on my body. I now eat a mostly clean diet. I've had fried foods 2x in the last 4 months as opposed to every day. I ate part of a candy bar the other day, and it tasted gross. I couldn't finish it. My favorite candy bar! :( As your body gets used to the good foods you put into it, your cravings will go away. When you get cravings, there's different ways of dealing with it...drink a full glass of water first, then see if you still have the craving. Each a piece of fruit. Still have the craving? It took a lot of control to completely change my lifestyle, but it's doable. I found that I had to completely eliminate the bad foods because I would've gone back to them.

I like to eat a light breakfast, and a larger lunch, and a lighter dinner. I'm still working out how much to eat, though because I'm actually not eating enough lately. Remember if you eat too little, you're not helping your body either!
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I find that sometimes when I think I am hungry, I am actually thirsty so I try to drink more water. I also stock up on fruits/veges as snacks so I am not tempted by chips etc.
  • linzchapates
    Options
    I took the time to really weight and portion out my food. I thought I was eating good realistically I had no clue what an actual portion size was!
    I played with my daily meals with foods I loved and tried to incorportate new foods that all fit into my calories for the day. I learned quickly that i'll be GD-hungry if I ate a 450 calorie donut and only had 750 calories left for the rest of my food...Really learning what foods I could have the most of for the least amount of calories helped me out... now I seem to be able portion size way more accurately... I still weight and measure but when at restaurants and guest's houses I am better at taking appropriate portions.
    I also cut out liquid calories, aside from the occasional glass of wine or cocktail (which I fit into my calories), I only drink water black coffee and herbal tea...

I have cravings still, I just try to fit them into my calories for that day...It's about a lifestyle change for me, I want to be successful I want good habits to form for the rest of my life.
  • idacrue
    idacrue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My wife and I weighed and logged everything we ate, and we still do while we are on maintenance. We also spent free time walking the neighborhood, and on weekends walking in parks etc. We would walk 4 miles every night and 5 miles on Saturday and Sunday. Walking helped pass the time between meals, when you are walking, you are not at home in front of the TV snacking and having a beer.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Learn your number.

Mine is about 600.

What's the number? It's the number of calories I need to eat for my body to feel like it's had enough
    I think it's important to note that in general men and women have different caloric needs. For many women, 600 calories is a third or more of what they need in a whole day. 600 calorie lunch and dinner for me, would leave me with only 200 for the rest of the day if I don't earn more through exercise.

For ME (and many other women according to diaries I've looked at) a good breakfast size is 300 calories (I'm usually good with less). I don't usually go over 500 calories for a meal unless I'm having something special, and I almost never have more than one meal a day over 400 calories unless I've had a lot of activity that day. I like more, smaller meals. Someone else who likes bigger meals just needs to make sure they eat less often...it's a balance, of course.

Another thing to note for those of us with screwy hunger cues...sometimes eating enough to "feel" like we've had enough means eating too much.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    1. skip breakfast
    2. track your calories via myfitnesspal (try not to go over)

I don't like the idea of skipping breakfast. Some people figure it works to reduce your calorie intake but for some of us, it has the exact opposit effect. I used to just have coffee and then go about my day and felt ok but by mid afternoon I was so ravenous that I was out of control. Once I got used to eating breakfast, I no longer had those insane afternoon binges. Others will swear it doesn't matter either way so try both and do what works best for you.

Make sure you have a proper calorie goal - if you feel like you're not getting enough calories with a 2 pounds per week goal, change to 1.5 or 1 pound per week. Sure it'll take a bit longer to lose but who cares, you're still improving yourself, it doesn't matter if that takes a year or 5 years.

Plan, prepare and pack. Every weekend I plan out my meals for the week before I go grocery shopping. That includes ALL meals, snacks, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then I spend some time preparing breakfast and snack dishes for the week and portioning them out so I can just throw them in my lunch box. Every morning I pack my breakfast, lunch and snacks for the day. The more I have on hand, the less I'll be tempted to grab whatever is handy. This also allows me to pre-log most, if not all, of my day first thing in the morning. Knowing I only have a little wiggle room helps me stay away from temptations that don't fit in my daily calorie goal.

Log as accurate and consistently as you can and use the journal feature as well. This is such a valuable tool for making small changes to your diet. Pay attention to how certain foods make you feel. For instance, I've discovered that I'm borederline hypoglycemic through tracking. If I were to have something like cereal, milk and banana for breakfast, I feel satisfied and good initially but about 2 hours later, I'm super hungry and shaky because my sugar levels have spiked and dropped in that time. I've learned to eat a better balance of complex carbs, healthy fats and plenty of protein to keep full longer and keep my energy level up.

Make small changes, don't try to rush into this with a super low calorie goal, especially if you're used to eating more. You might feel ok at first but it's likely to catch up to you and could lead to you giving up again. Remember, this is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. Take your time and learn as you go.

Best of luck!
  • snootmaster
    snootmaster Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am still fairly early in this weight loss attempt (I also have started several times and fell off the wagon) but it truly feels different. Here is what is working for me this time-1) Minimizing processed foods-if I do not easily understand all the ingredients in a product then usually I do not buy it. 2) Along those same lines, I stopped buying "diet" foods-I will still eat low fat cheeses, low fat almond milk, etc but I am not eating things like sugar free jello and pudding, diet soda (pretty much now all I drink is water, almond milk and occasionally tea), diet breads (I have started baking my own bread), diet chips, etc. I think eating those things was creating more cravings rather than satisfying me. 3) As a natural progression of what I have been trying to do for years, I have really cut down on meat consumption. Not really sure if it has helped me stay on track or not but it feels good right now. 4) I have added a modest amount of exercise. I try to do some walking on days I am not working (work 12-hour shifts), additionally several times a week I do a short homemade calisthenics routine. When I am at work, I try to add more steps to my day. Regarding exercise, I came to the realization that adding something was better than adding nothing even if it is not a huge amount. I need to be able to follow through with something that works for my lifestyle. Definitely shedding that "all or nothing" attitude I have had in the past. 5) I try to have at least two snacks in addition to B,L & D. I try to make sure that the snacks contain some fat, some carbs, and some protein. (an example would be clementines and a cheese stick, or some nuts) 6) I try to stay really grounded to my motivation to lose weight. When I feel like I am less in control of my eating than I want to be, I take some deep breaths and think about why being healthier is important to me. Additionally, I think about what things have improved for me even after only a modest weight loss (less tired, less sweaty and therefore less stinky, less irritable, more sit down meals with the family since I am cooking a lot more, less achy, etc, etc). Believe it or not, just taking a moment to think about my motivations has kept me on track a few times. 7) Finally, this encompasses a lot of above, I really have taken a look at other weight loss attempts and tried to figure out where I got derailed. It is all a learning experience even if you did not have the scale success you wanted in the past. My best wishes to you!
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    took me two weeks. On the first day, I cut my calories in half. I filled up with tea as a snack and had multiple cups of tea a day. Now, I can get cravings and fight them because I replaced those unhealthy snacks with tea before healthy well portioned meals. I consume about 1800 calories a day (at max). I've cut 20 lbs in 6 weeks with three consistent days of exercise per week.
  • jelineee
    jelineee Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For me, the biggest way to curb my appetite for the day is a good morning cardio workout on an empty stomach. I find that I tend to eat healthier throughout the day when I work out in the morning also so its a win-win. Another important point is to make sure you stay hydrated throughout the day. Make water your best friend! I know some people tend to think that all calories are equal but I personally think that eating whole fruits and vegetables is the best way to lose weight and the only way to a healthful life. And plus fruits and vegetables are typically lower in calories so you can get away with eating more :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Hello. As I REbegin my weight loss journey (for the zillionth time) I'd like some advice from you. For those who started out eating way too much etc. What helped you to gain control? How long did it take to adjust to eating a decent amount rather than eating in surplus? Do the cravings ever go away? Just looking for some ideas to get restarted.

Please, whatever you do, don't follow some of the advice I've read on here. You don't need to cut out anything, go low carb, or do a juice cleanse, and you certainly don’t need to feel hungry.

Firstly, make sure you are eating a decent amount of calories. So many fall off the wagon on here because they start out thinking less is more, they eat 1200 calories or less and end up so hungry they give up.
    Have a read of this thread, it will give you an idea of how much you need to eat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+2013

Secondly, one thing this site helped me learn that diet plans didn’t, was what food worked best to fill you up. I used to buy high sodium, nutritionally void diet microwave meals for lunch just because they were low calorie, and I’d be hungry again in an hour. Protein and fats keep you fuller for longer, if you keep them high, you’ll find it a lot easier to not overeat. I now eat things like chicken breast, hard boiled eggs and salad, salmon with cous cous, avocado etc for lunch, and it keeps me going till dinner.

Also, people often confuse hunger with thirst. Keep your water intake high, and you will eat less.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Hello. As I REbegin my weight loss journey (for the zillionth time) ... Just looking for some ideas to get restarted.
    and OP redeactivated... :huh:

What?! I hate giving advice to no-one!
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    For me, eating foods that are high in fiber really helps me to feel full for several hours so I'm not tempted to eat a ton of snacks or have a bigger meal the next time it comes around. Of course foods that are high in fiber are usually bread, so they might be higher in carbs or calories, but since you have to eat less, it might not matter as much. Vegetables also have a good amount of fiber when raw, and they're generally low in calories so you can feel less guilty about eating more of them.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Troll. Really.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I almost miss the days of LiveJournal when you would see a strike through a username if the account had deactivated.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    :sigh: So glad I wasted the time and energy on a well thought out post... :grumble: (hm, thought we had a rolleyes smiley)

This ticks me off almost as much as when a bunch of people post great advice but the OP can only focus on the one jerk who says something sarcastic and ignores all the good feedback. Blah...people
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I almost miss the days of LiveJournal when you would see a strike through a username if the account had deactivated.

+1