Hate Working Out!

Options
13»

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you start seeing results. Then you won't hate it so much :) The pain is totally worth it when you are wearing small sizes, and start to really feel healthy. And it stops feeling like a chore, and feels like something you can't wait to accomplish.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you talked to your trainer about it because that's what I was going to suggest. As others have said, the secret to liking/loving your workouts is finding something you really enjoy and I also believe some of it is the whole "fake it 'til you make it" mindset.

I used to hate working out as well. The only physical fitness I enjoyed growing up was taking walks and riding my bike. I still love walking - it's my favorite! Once I started trying different things, I found activities that I enjoyed and kept trying new things (or twists on the old like interval training) to keep it interesting. When I first started going to the gym regularly, I'd spend 10 minutes on 3 different machines. I got teased about it by a couple of people but I didn't care - it's what helped pass the time and I was still getting activity in, which is what really matters. I still do this from time to time when I'm on my own for workouts because I get bored so easily.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't hate what you do to get fit. I've never understood this. If you don't like what you're doing now, try something else. If you don't like that, try a third thing. Eventually you'll find something you just can't wait to do the next time, and that's when you know you've found your thing. I love every exercise/workout I do, but it's taken me a few false starts to get those things dialed in.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I hated working out at first. Especially cardio, I DESPISE cardio. SO I tried different things. When my body remembered that back in the day it loved lifting weights, that was it. I have been consistent for almost a year now, and although the scale only shows minor changes, my strength is amazing. And it turns out I can run, too (which my puppies taught me recently, against my will).

The important thing is to be active, and to do what you will stick with. The cardio I enjoy is the elliptical and kickboxing, and occasionally Zumba. I always lift. And it turns out, obstacle races really appeal to my inner child. (Paying for them and having a goal helps too!) Give it at least a month, and don't be afraid to try new things.
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    you look like a determined women. you will do it
    just dont be harsh on yourself
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Make sure she doesn't have you working out in heart rate zones that are miserable. If you hate it because you're working so hard you're miserable, tell her. It's not needed and we're all different so she may not realize it's so hard for you. It's not really like The Biggest Loser where you need to work til you puke. Then work more.

I don't love it but I think of it like I would running the vacuum or brushing my teeth. The more I dwell on it, the sillier. I choose to do it because I don't like the effects of NOT doing it, just like not brushing teeth or vacuuming. Then take it a day at a time, make the best of it, and get it over with.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you start seeing results. Then you won't hate it so much :) The pain is totally worth it when you are wearing small sizes, and start to really feel healthy. And it stops feeling like a chore, and feels like something you can't wait to accomplish.

The PAIN isn't worth it (at least for me) I've spent the last 2 decades in PAIN so adding more will never be high on my list of "fun shyt" to do. Also I've been doing this for over a year - i guess I'm just the reject. It hasn't gotten fun, it hasn't gotten easier, the pain isn't welcome. I've tried switching what I'm doing... still not there
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I used to HATE working out because it hurt. I was out of shape and just blah so my body wasnt accustomed to being pushed. Now, I'm still outta shape, but I'm in better shape the weight and inches are coming off ... slowly, but I FEEL better. And at the end of the day that's all that matters. Give it time you'll learn to love it. Just keep thinking with every workout I'm getting stronger better and healthier. Eventually it'll be a reward for your body instead of punishment. :-) Good luck!!
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have always hated it. Trainer, no trainer, cardio, lifting, classes, programs, results, no results, I have tried it all and none of it makes it something I don't DREAD. That mayu not be reassuring, but I have simply accepted that with the rest of life's obligations, I don't enjoy having another thing on my to-do list, and I don't HAVE to like it for it to be an important part of my life. Personally I think we get a little spoiled by the notion that we HAVE to like something for it to be worth doing.

I think there is a certain strength of character, and commitment to yourself, that goes along with hating it and going anyway. That goes along with valuing my health (mental and physical) above my daily comforts and desires. My spouse often asks which I want more -- to NOT workout, or to achieve the body and health goals. 5 or 6 days a week the goals win...the other 1-2 I stay home ;).

That's my rant.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I hated it at first. I was a super lazy as kid and into my 20s and I would do anything to avoid any kind of physical exertion. When I signed up on MFP and promised myself that I would get through Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, It was HORRIBLE. The first few days I was taking more breaks than actually exercising because I couldn't breathe and my weak muscles couldn't support my big body. That feeling, combined with being able to handle a little bit more every day kept me going.

I know it sucks now, but just force yourself (which you are...since you paid in advance!). When you start to notice yourself getting stronger and feeling better, it will start to grow on you.

Oh and like some other posters said, it helps to find workouts you enjoy. I'm not really a gym person so I prefer to do programs at home (I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme right now). I also like to take ballet classes and take my dog for a run around the park.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I never enjoy it either (other than going on a bike ride) at the gym. Eventually it will become a habit though. You may still not like it but it turns into something you have to do, kinda like laundry. Once you see results, it will make it that much easier to go, even though you still may not like it. lol

Remember.... "the mental pain of being overweight far outweighs the temporary pain of working out"
  • Tracie31523
    Options
    I dread it until it's over. Then I'm happy I did it. I agree with what most people say, it gets better/easier to do the more you stick with it.

Kudos to you for starting to build a healthy habit! Just take it one day at a time. Good Luck!
  • april1445
    Options
    it might be the wrong type of exercise, or it might be the wrong trainer for you. I've had trainers before, and frankly, prefer working out to a video in the privacy of my own home--I don't have to force myself at all. I'm naturally pretty private.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    "The Hardest Part of Going To The Gym, Is Going To The Gym" - Me.