Amount of protein and kidney problems. RELATED?!!!!!

Options
Hi!
Here is my story. At the beginning of my journey I was too excited about "lean protein with every meal" and I was doing really well. I ate Only meats, eggs, Greek yogurts, cottage cheese, fruits and veggies. Then I had a very bad kidney infection and ended up in ER.... I did not think it was related.

After that incident for a while I was recovering and was eating fruit, vegs, less meat and eggs, yogurts, some grains, bagels in the mornings.

But I have noticed that as soon as I start being really focused on my eating and go back to very protein meals, I feel it in my kidneys.

DOES ANYOME KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO BE RELATED?!!!

P.S. I have asked my doctor, but she seems so uninterested and almost clueless.. I should probably switch my primary physician! )))

Replies

• AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It could be possible. Diets high in protein have been known to cause kidney problems. Make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids! Is it possible you have kidney stones? I know that people with kidney problems/kidney failure shouldn't eat too much protein because it is excreted by the kidneys.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5612952_reduce-excess-protein-kidney.html
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I just now Googled "protein and kidney problems" and found several articles that say in a person with normal kidney function, no, high protein shouldn't cause problems, but if someone's kidneys are already functioning poorly, it will.
  • mike6pak
    Options
    5 studies say they are not related. The problem is you find another 5 that says they are. I had this dilemma for years and unfortunately I can't trust doctors on this one...

I've been on a high protein diet for 4 years and my kidneys are happy (had them checked 2 months ago). I think excess carbs and trans fats are a lot worse...
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    Ugh! It is all so scary! (( and the worst part is that I do not know how to trust my doctor! I had infection coming back 3 times since then! And my doc was like: "Gmmmm... Why would it come back?"!!!!!!!!:mad:
  • mike6pak
    Options
    When you say high protein, how HIGH (%)??
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be related. Especially if you aren't drinking enough fluids. Protein is the most direct precursor to uric acid, which is the precursor to urea, the concentrated stuff that makes pee smell bad. And if you aren't putting enough fluid into your body, then there's not enough fluid to carry that stuff out of your body. The uric acid can bind together and crystallize, causing kidney stones. Also, since protein provides energy, any bacteria that manages to get into your kidneys will have plenty of nurishment; giving you a really bad kidney infection.
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    I used to be on 40% protein. Now I'm down to 20%-protein, 55%-carbs, 25%-fat
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    ivyjbres!
    Thank you for such a detailed answer! I'm going to really focus on water. I think, I do not drink enough...
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i think it would be wise to switch your protein sources up. consider where you get your protein, and then look at the way those sources are raised. if you're eating meats, even if they are lean, remember that many meats are not only irradiated, but shot up with hormones. you could be having a reaction to something that is IN the protein source, not the source itself. maybe you're allergic to a kind of feed given to animals (and that transfers into milk, eggs, yogurt, butter, meats, etc...)

do you have an herbalist in your area? maybe talk with him to try some blood cleansing teas. try to stick with a good, natural herbalist as a source for getting culinary and medicinal herbs.

for instance, nettle tea is great for the blood, lungs and all respiratory passages.

i'm not suggesting you stop eating animal products (though, i think it's a good idea to not eat unaccountable meat & dairy), but a good vegetarian diet will supply you with plenty of proteins if it is balanced.

good luck with it! if you're in new england, i could give you some sources.
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    kayemme!
    Thank you for suggestion! I was actually thinking about going vegetarian direction. I just don't know where to start and where to get those proteins. And I know for sure I can't live without yogurts and cottage cheese, eggs.
  • bucky17h
    bucky17h Posts: 120
    Options
    Yes protein can affect kidneys - my son has a kidney condition so I am familiar with this
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it too much! if you're eating dairy or eggs at all, you're getting enough. there are lots of proteins packed into leafy greens, and truthfully, we simply eat too many of them in the first place.

i just saw this article that talks about portion sizes compared to 50 years ago. everything is at least 200% bigger per "serving" so if your grandparents could raise a dozen kids and a farm on half the food we consume, you're gonna be all right.

edit: here's a good article http://www.vegsoc.org/info/protein.html

and the introduction:
    Being vegetarian does not mean your diet will be lacking in protein. Most plant foods contain protein and in fact it would be very difficult to design a vegetarian diet that is short on protein. Excess dietary protein may lead to health problems. It is now thought that one of the benefits of a vegetarian diet is that it contains adequate but not excessive protein.

Proteins are made up of smaller units called amino acids. There are about 20 different amino acids, eight of which must be present in the diet. These are the essential amino acids. Unlike animal proteins, plant proteins may not contain all the essential amino acids in the necessary proportions. However, a varied vegetarian diet means a mixture of proteins is consumed, the amino acids in one protein compensating for the deficiencies of another.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    For someone who has normal healthy kidney function, high protein isn't a problem. For someone who is predisposed to kidney problems, then yes, high protein can cause more problems.

Basically, how it works is that all the nitrogen that is in protein (but not carbs or fat) has to be removed from the carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen that are the other components of protein (and are also the components of carbs and fats, just in different levels of each). When the protein is deaminated, the nitrogen is sent to the liver to be converted to urea. The urea is then sent to the kidneys to be removed from the body. In a normal functioning kidney, the person excretes it in normal urination, no problem. However, if the kidneys aren't functioning at 100%, or there isn't enough water intake to flush the nitrogen from the body, or the sodium intake is excessive causing the water that should be flushing the kidneys to be retained, then the urea can build up in the kidneys or be shuttled to the blood stream with that water volume where it can cause pH problems in the rest of the body.

Its because of this issue that I have to maintain my protein level to 15% or less of my diet. I'm doing a kidney donation to a relative who needs it and that recommendation is from the Medical College of Georgia doctors who deal with kidney issues daily.

So, my best advice would be to decrease your protein intake and see if you don't feel better while you are looking for another doctor. Also, the kidneys are the number one regulator of blood pressure, so watch that since you've had kidney issues.
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    kayemme!
    Thank you for the link! I'm going to study before I make my desigion.

TrainingWithTonya
    I'm getting more and more scared.... Thank you so much for the information!
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and protein is not at all a concern for me. I thought it was, because that's what people always told me, until I started logging everything here and saw I am getting enough protein without even trying at all. Iron is a different story, but protein is easy if you're still eating dairy and eggs.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    How much protein per day and what is your body weight?

Protein is broken down through the kidneys. Some kidneys can be weaker then others but the kidneys can process up to 10grams per pound of body weight if not more by most studies. You also need to keep hydrated otherwise you will start to reek havoc on them.

I wonder how much protein you are taking in per meal. 20-30 grams per meal is fine. I have taken in the past upwards of 50, 6 times a day. Now I am around 30-35 with no problems.
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    I'm 128.3 lbs now and for example, today will consume about 78 grams of protein. It is 24-26g per meal. (You can have a look at my diary too) Looks like my numbers are within normal range?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options

Protein is broken down through the kidneys. Some kidneys can be weaker then others but the kidneys can process up to 10grams per pound of body weight if not more by most studies. You also need to keep hydrated otherwise you will start to reek havoc on them.

I wonder how much protein you are taking in per meal. 20-30 grams per meal is fine. I have taken in the past upwards of 50, 6 times a day. Now I am around 30-35 with no problems.

Do you have links to these studies? I'd love to read them as the research we've been shown in my nutrition minor at university indicates a reasonable upper limit of 2.8 grams per kilogram of body weight (2.2046 pounds).

ETA: the 2.8 grams per kilogram is for people with normal functioning kidneys. Anyone with kidney issues should stick to the RDA of 0.8 grams per kilogram for the average person up to 1.8 grams per kilogram for the highly active weight training person. Just like carbs and fat, any excess protein consumed will be stored as fat if it isn't needed by the body. ;)
  • sunnysashka
    Options

Do you have links to these studies? I'd love to read them as the research we've been shown in my nutrition minor at university indicates a reasonable upper limit of 2.8 grams per kilogram of body weight (2.2046 pounds).

I'm within normal range according to your calculations.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    I'm 128.3 lbs now and for example, today will consume about 78 grams of protein. It is 24-26g per meal. (You can have a look at my diary too) Looks like my numbers are within normal range?

Okay, I went and looked at your intake and have done a little math based on the recommendations we are taught to give based on weight. At 128.3 pounds, you are 58.2 kilograms. The standard recommendation is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight, which would be 46.56 grams per day for your weight. Now, I also looked at you exercise habits and for people who focus on endurance exercise (all those aerobics and cardio machines you are doing) they can have up to 1.4 grams per kilogram of body weight. For you the upper level of protein intake for endurance training would be 81.48 grams per day. So you are doing just fine with your 78 grams. Actually, that is the high end of the range your body needs for the activity you are doing, so if you are feeling kidney issues at this level you have plenty of wiggle room to drop it down and still meet your body's needs.