I'm missing something...

Options

Replies

• goodnamegone
    Options
    You lost more than 10cm in measurements in four weeks and you don't think that is very much? I'd be jumping up and down shouting for joy. Is 10cm in 4 weeks not much?

From where I'm standing you're doing absolutely a great job. Keep it up.
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

I think the BodyFit Media will help out a lot. I think the FitBit over estimated calories, which was probably my issue. I'd eat back calories i didn't actually burn. Although i do like the fitbit better for sleep. The BFM has me sleeping anytime i'm on the couch watching TV, unless i move my arm around.

Use the Bodymedia 24/7. The only time I take mine off is when I charge it every few days.

It does a pretty respectable job of figuring out your calorie burn. It doesn't really matter where you think your metabolism should be set, the Bodymedia will adjust it for you. I have MFP set at "sedentary" and my Bodymedia disagrees and adjusts my daily calorie goals accordingly. On days when I really AM sedentary, I have to be a little conservative in my eating as MFP will start adjusting down at the end of the day when I haven't burned the calories it and the Bodymedia think I should have burned. Other than that, though, it's good information.

Get hold of a book called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. It's pretty widely available electronically, otherwise you can find it on Amazon. It has some good info about macros and eating strategies, as well as some good exercise strategies. I found it to be very helpful.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think you should focus on the inches rather than the scale. .5 is a small loss, but 4 inches isn't.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I see days in your diary with thousands of calories added for exercise. Is that based on your Fitbit or Body Media or what?

I find that adding intense strength training can stall weight loss for months. It's water and the scale will eventually 'catch up'.

Ignore the sarcastic and rude dude. He's proven repeatedly he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Haha. Thanks for the compliment. Many more random accusations to come I hope. Given that I have only posted on these forums a handful of times you will have problems backing up your claim that I have been 'proven repeatedly that I dont know what I am talking about'. Well given that I am someone that lost 2.5 stone in 6 months and knowing what I ate before, during and after, please put your ignorant accusations to one side.

What has been shown on television is that many people fail to lose weight because they are in denial about what they eat. Make what you want about whether it is genuine, but it clearly replicates in what people post on here.

"Oh my friend eats so much every day and doesnt put on any weight but look at poor me who just eats the same"
    "I have stuck to my diet plan but I cant lose any weight. Could it be my metabolism"

The above is often proved by experiment (obviously the same doesnt apply to every single human being) that people are in denial about what they eat, blame metabolism, bemoan their 'luck' in comparison to friends, dont realise what they are eating, forget to put things into their food diary which seem irrelevant.....

Then they only realise when it hits home. "I ate 100 calories while tasting whether the food is cooked enough. Oh no, my metabolism was better than I told myself".....

I've read the same thing, it's true, it has to be, you aren't going to gain weight in a deficit, there is that whole law of thermodynamics thing. However there is also a genetic component. Some people are very lucky and just don't want to overeat, ever. They don't count calories, their bodies perfectly regulate intake versus output. And then there are the rest of us.

Dont kid yourself. I have read on here that apparently some people are able to eat 3 big cheeseburgers a day with chips every day and not put on weight. Its apparently all about metabolism. So unfair. This is nonsense. The extent to which people say metabolism has on their weight gain/loss is not plausible, which I interpret as a bad excuse, or at best, innocent ignorance.

Bodies perfectly regulate? Really? So why is it that the levels of obesity continue to rise to alarming rates across countries particularly in the UK and US if there are such people. Is this just a rise in 'unlucky' people or just that bodies will always get bigger the more we eat?
  • john062
    john062 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Did you take measurements before? If so retake them and redo the calculations on your body fat %.

Or even better yet did you take a picture before you started and then look at one now,(an actual picture not in the mirror).

End of the Day if you feel better and your like the progress of your body (pictures) then who cares what the scale says.

A lot of stuff can effect the scale numbers over a short period of time.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    You've lost 40 pounds according to your ticker, so you're doing great!

I'm guessing you mean 4 weeks for the exercising? Again, sounds like it's working just fine. You just want it to happen quicker.

Your diary's not bad, only thing I'd say is that your carbs are over every single day. Maybe you could look at the big hitters in there and try to reduce them.

where else are the calories going to come from though? the protein seems unrealistically high 188 grams of protein is A LOT for anyone to eat in a day and you don't want to eat a ton of fat unless you're on a keto plan.
  • ricki011
    ricki011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    you are awesome! A+++ Your workout burns are amazing and you are losing a little bit at a time; even better!
    Just keep your workouts where you don't get bored and keep at it. It took me a while to figure out that exercise calories were just as important as food calories. check out the work out challenge groups on MFP; they keep you motivated AND you are so inspiring that you would be very helpful to others with the same issues.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You can manually set your macros. I would recommend doing that, just for clarity sake.

Are you using a scale to weigh your food? That can be a source of calorie underestimation if you are not. Your exercise calories may also be inflated, though BodyMedia and the FitBit Flex are supposed to be pretty accurate.

If your logging is accurate, just stick with it. Eventually you should see the scale begin to budge again.

Also, you are not building muscle while on a deficit. But you are retaining LBM - a good thing. The inch loss is due to body fat loss, so good work on that!

ETA: From your diary it doesn't look like you are weighing your food. Food scales are cheap and very effective! Weigh everything, especially calorie dense foods like nut butters. You will be surprised how little 2 TBSP really is. :smile:
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I think you've been doing great to have lost all those pounds and inches.
    Perhaps at this point you need to lower your caloric intake a bit and looking at your diary, I would add a larger variety of veggies-cooked simply at home with a bit of olive oil and spices.
    Eat things like broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, broccoli rabe, etc. I find cooking them at home and eating good-sized portions keeps me satisfied.
    Also, perhaps a bit more protein and less sugar. Do you like eggs? You can have 2 eggs on a toasted eng muff for under 200 cals.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat less to start losing.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion but for the sweet potato mash....one day says 8 the other 10 and the other 12 servings.....Are you really eating that much? that seems really high in servings. Im not sure how the fitbit works but are you wearing that all day to get those high calories burned?
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein?
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Dont kid yourself. I have read on here that apparently some people are able to eat 3 big cheeseburgers a day with chips every day and not put on weight. Its apparently all about metabolism. So unfair. This is nonsense. The extent to which people say metabolism has on their weight gain/loss is not plausible, which I interpret as a bad excuse, or at best, innocent ignorance.

Bodies perfectly regulate? Really? So why is it that the levels of obesity continue to rise to alarming rates across countries particularly in the UK and US if there are such people. Is this just a rise in 'unlucky' people or just that bodies will always get bigger the more we eat?

Obesity is on the rise because we all have access to enough calories to allow our genetic weaknesses to come out and play. Also some researchers think that what we eat throws us all out of whack. I'm inclined to believe that as well, since I self-regulate much easier when I cut out the carbs. But not everyone has that weakness. You might be able to have toast in the morning and not crave junk all day long, but I can't. Why? Willpower? No, not if you never get the craving in the first place.

Edit for an excellent talk on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNotqromxjQ
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Obesity is on the rise because we all have access to enough calories to allow our genetic weaknesses to come out and play. Also some researchers think that what we eat throws us all out of whack. I'm inclined to believe that as well, since I self-regulate much easier when I cut out the carbs. But not everyone has that weakness. You might be able to have toast in the morning and not crave junk all day long, but I can't. Why? Willpower? No, not if you never get the craving in the first place.

Edit for an excellent talk on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNotqromxjQ

Of course its willpower. Nothing is physically forcing food into you. The need for it is psychological. Once you get into the frame of mind, things change. It is down to the individual. The sooner that people stop blaming anything other than themselves, the better.

Then again, there are even poor excuses for willpower now. On one programme, a lady stated obesity as a disease. For goodness sake, how long is it before 'lack of willpower' is classified as a disease?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Of course its willpower. Nothing is physically forcing food into you. The need for it is psychological. Once you get into the frame of mind, things change. It is down to the individual. The sooner that people stop blaming anything other than themselves, the better.

Then again, there are even poor excuses for willpower now. On one programme, a lady stated obesity as a disease. For goodness sake, how long is it before 'lack of willpower' is classified as a disease?

There are other variables at play here. For ME, if I don't get enough protein at breakfast, I set myself up for having low blood sugar which definitely sets off those 'Eat Something Carby For God's Sake' alarms in my body. So yes, I choose what I eat. And my choices are because of the consequences I face when I don't eat what I should. For me.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

There are other variables at play here. For ME, if I don't get enough protein at breakfast, I set myself up for having low blood sugar which definitely sets off those 'Eat Something Carby For God's Sake' alarms in my body. So yes, I choose what I eat. And my choices are because of the consequences I face when I don't eat what I should. For me.

I'm the same way as QuietBloom.

It's willpower in a way, since I have to have the willpower to make my first meal something that doesn't trigger cravings. I can't eat a breakfast of cereal or eggs and toast and expect to have a good day. I just can't. I might get away with it for a week or so after a long low carb stint, but after that I start craving constantly. Sure I can resist, if I want to go around all day irritable as a hungry bear. But who wants to live life like that?

Not everyone is affected this way, though. I don't go around saying to people, 'You need to stop eating bread!" Because some people are fine eating bread. But I am not. Why? Well if it's not genetics then it's past bad acts leading to epigenetic changes or gut flora and fauna imbalance or brain chemistry imbalance, or some combination of these. But it is most definitely not merely a matter of willpower. Again, if you do not suffer from triggers that lead to cravings then you and I are not the same and the answers for each of us might be different.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It could be just a stall. Are your periods regular? I know I skipped one two months ago and only lost 1 lb that month, when I usually lose 4. Or if you're due for it, you could just be retaining water and that's why it seems you haven't lost any weight.

I suggest weighing even the single serving stuff (to an extent, maybe not yogurts and other hard to weigh without taking it out of the package stuff). I've been surprised at the difference on some packaged things. Bread, tortillas, cheese slices, all of those can easily be 20% over or under the supposed serving size. Same with fruit... definitely weigh them.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You seem to think trouble losing weight is due to a character flaw, specifically lack of will power? That seems a bit self-congratulatory. Though since you think you run 11mph, the Superman complex might be apt.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time of day you exercise.... you will lose a lb after you've burned 3600 calories more than you ate... however long that takes. So.... your calorie in/out ratio is off. What are your goals? Are you eating back exercise calories? When my weightloss stalled I either 1) was burning way too many more calories than I ate/too high of a deficit or 2) I was not burning 3600 calories more than I ate in a week. My typical deficit was averaging only about 200/day which is why I was only losing 1/2lb each week.

My goal is 1500calories/day... I allow myself to eat up to 1800/day on workout days if I feel like I'm still hungry. According to my fitbit and MFP... TDEE calculators, etc... I'm burning around 1800-2200 calories/day depending on my activities that day. I do 3 lifting workouts/week and occasionally I'll go for a run... or a walk if I need the extra burn. I've been losing 1lb/week following this.
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I see days in your diary with thousands of calories added for exercise. Is that based on your Fitbit or Body Media or what?

I find that adding intense strength training can stall weight loss for months. It's water and the scale will eventually 'catch up'.

Ignore the sarcastic and rude dude. He's proven repeatedly he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I don't add any exercise myself. I let the FitBit add whatever difference there is. I just linked my bodymedia the other day, so it hasn't added anything yet. Not sure if i have to unlink my FitBit first or not.