I Hate Myself

Options
124»

Replies

• zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Please seek professional help. You are on your way to an eating disorder. I've been to a therapist for a few other issues and while it is scary at first, it also feels really good to not hate yourself.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Don't say anything about/to yourself that you wouldn't say to a friend.

Friend yourself.:flowerforyou:
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    Here is some material to read about food addiction. Sometimes, it's NOT about your willpower.
    ==============================================================================

Food Addiction Signs and Treatments - WebMD

www.webmd.com/mental-health/mental-health-food-addiction - Similar to Food Addiction Signs and Treatments - WebMD

Learn from WebMD about what food addiction is, the signs of being a food addict, and how to overcome the addiction.

www.foodaddictsanonymous.org/

Help for recovery from the despair and shame of food obsession. This self-help program views food addiction as a biochemical disease.

www.foodaddicts.org/

Food Addicts In Recovery Anonymous is based on the Twelve-Step program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Compulsive overeating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_overeating - Similar to Compulsive overeating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Compulsive overeating, also sometimes called food addiction, is characterized by the compulsive eating of food. Professionals address this with either a ...
    7 ways to beat your food addiction | Fox News

www.foxnews.com/health/.../6-ways-to-beat-your-food-addiction/ - Similar to 7 ways to beat your food addiction | Fox News

Oct 26, 2012 ... Well, I'm here to tell you that food addiction is real; it affects more people than you know, and manufacturers actually design food products so ...
    Do I Have A Food Addiction? | Psychology Today

www.psychologytoday.com/blog/shrink/.../do-i-have-food-addictio... - Similar to Do I Have A Food Addiction? | Psychology Today

Jul 11, 2012 ... 6 signs of food addiction and 8 steps to overcoming By Sherry Pagoto, Ph.D. ...

pop quiz - DrPeeke.com – Official Website of Pamela Peeke, MD

www.drpeeke.com/popquiz.htm

Curious if you are under the spell of False Fix foods? Let's take a moment to evaluate. The Yale Food Addiction Scale was developed by Yale research scientist ...
    Food Addiction: The Body Knows: Revised & Expanded Edition: ...

www.amazon.com/Food-Addiction-Revised.../dp/155874276X - Similar to Food Addiction: The Body Knows: Revised & Expanded Edition: ...

Food Addiction: The Body Knows: Revised & Expanded Edition [Kay Sheppard] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. > Are you a food addict?
    ACORN Food Dependency Recovery Services: Information on the ...

foodaddiction.com/

Group of abstinent and recovering food addicts committed to helping other food addicts. Description and schedules for the fee based retreats, primary intensives, ...
    [PDF]
    Yale Food Addiction Scale - Rudd Center for Food ...

www.yaleruddcenter.org/.../addiction/FoodAddictionScale09.pdf - Similar to Yale Food Addiction Scale - Rudd Center for Food ...

Yale Food Addiction Scale. Gearhardt, Corbin, Brownell, 2009. Contact: ashley. gearhardt@yale.edu. This survey asks about your eating habits in the past year.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

Sometimes you're ALLERGIC to the foods you crave!
    ===================================================

Food Allergies and Food Addiction « Science-Based Medicine

www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/food-allergies-and-food-addiction/ - Similar to Food Allergies and Food Addiction « Science-Based Medicine

May 4, 2010 ... Last week I wrote about the CME presentations at an obesity course put on by the American Society of Bariatric Physicians. I saved the most ...
    Food Cravings: Ways to Identify and Cope With Food Addiction

www.webmd.com/food-recipes/.../snack-attack-coping-with-cravings - Similar to Food Cravings: Ways to Identify and Cope With Food Addiction

People with a food addiction may have symptoms like headaches, insomnia, ... Identify and eliminate suspected food allergens -- paying special attention to ...
    Food Allergy Diet - Chronic Fatigue Treatment

www.tvernonlac.com/food-allergy-diet.html - Similar to Food Allergy Diet - Chronic Fatigue Treatment

However, it is best to broaden the diet as soon as possible for better nutrition. One aspect of food allergies or allergies in general is called the allergy/addiction ...

Food Sensitivities - The World's Healthiest Foods

www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=30 - Similar to Food Sensitivities - The World's Healthiest Foods

For example, an allergic response to eating fish will usually occur within minutes after ..... Craving and addiction to food may be the result of the body's attempt to ...
    INTRODUCTION - WHAT ARE FOOD SENSITIVITIES?
    Why Cravings Might Be Linked to Food Allergies | Healthy ***** ...

www.healthy*****daily.com/.../why-cravings-might-be-linked-to-f... - Similar to Why Cravings Might Be Linked to Food Allergies | Healthy ***** ...

Jul 2, 2013 ... If you think you may be addicted, there's a chance you have a food allergy. If you think an allergy might be to blame for your food cravings, talk ...
    Food Addiction, Food Allergies and Weight Gain - Yahoo Voices ...

voices.yahoo.com/food-addiction-food-allergies-weight-gain-5256... - Similar to Food Addiction, Food Allergies and Weight Gain - Yahoo Voices ...

Jan 12, 2010 ... Food addiction is a disorder, compulsion, and excessive craving for and consumption of food. Food allergies and food addiction can occur ...

The Biochemistry of Food Cravings, Part I — Food Allergies and ...

www.beyondhealthnews.com/.../the-biochemistry-of-food-cravings-... - Similar to The Biochemistry of Food Cravings, Part I — Food Allergies and ...

Jan 9, 2012 ... This week, we'll look at the connection between food allergies and food addiction . Is there a particular food you eat just about every day, and, ...
    The Allergy/Addiction Syndrome: Are Your Favorite Foods ...

lindamelosnd.com/.../the-allergyaddiction-syndrome-are-your-fav... - Similar to The Allergy/Addiction Syndrome: Are Your Favorite Foods ...

Is there any food you just can't seem to get enough of? If you know it's in the house, you keep getting pulled back into the kitchen for a little bit more – until you 've ...
    Refined Carbs May Trigger Food Addictions | LiveScience

www.livescience.com/37768-refined-carbs-create-food-cravings.ht... - Similar to Refined Carbs May Trigger Food Addictions | LiveScience

Jun 26, 2013 ... Highly processed carbohydrates such as corn syrup activate reward centers of the brain that are tied to addiction and cravings.
    Food Addiction, Food Allergy and Overweight - Springboard

www.springboard4health.com/notebook/health_food_addiction.html - Similar to Food Addiction, Food Allergy and Overweight - Springboard

A brief article looking at the physical changes among those who are food addicted and those who are allergic.

BEST WISHES TO THE OP, AND ALL THE REST!
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options

Im sorry. Its because I hate myself too and historically, people havent been very supportive in other threads. :sad: My apologies.

:flowerforyou:

To be honest, my first reaction to your post was, "This isn't your first MFP Rodeo, is it?" :laugh: I saw your post as trying to help OP and warn that sometimes things get ugly so this thread may backfire and not to personalize and further beat herself up if it does.

Yes, that was my original intent and thank you for seeing it that way. But the way a couple of others explained it, I can see how it was taken a different way also.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I found counseling with a cognitive behavioral therapist who specializes in disordered eating very helpful in changing the way I think about food and many other things in my life. My finances are in order, my house is clean, I am an excellent time manager, a disciplined A student and a better employee because of it.

I wish I would have committed to counseling when I was 20 instead of waiting until I was 40.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. It really means a lot to me. Maybe seeing a professional is what I need, although that terrifies me. It's nice to know others understand what I'm feeling though, especially since I don't really have anybody close I feel like I can talk to in my "real life" (don't know how else to describe that). I'm planning my meals for tomorrow right now. I appreciate all of you so much. It just seems scary that this will never be over. Because like some of you said, I'll always have to eat. And so I'll always have to be conscious of my lifestyle habits, even once I do achieve my goals. It's amazing to have the support on here. I don't know where I'd be without it.

I've been counting my calories/making sure I eat healthy for the last year. And, honestly, it does get tiring, it does get a little overwhelming when I go out to eat and my roommates can all eat what they want and I'm over here eating a salad with a diet soda. But, in the long run, you'll be better off than them! You're starting out getting healthy habits EARLY in life, while they aren't even considering it. Plus....grilled chicken and a yummy salad is almost more delicious than a fried anything, and I always FEEL better after a salad than after a Big Mac :)

If you need to vent, feel free to message me! We're all here for you!!
  • sdkyne
    sdkyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    https://medium.com/human-parts/bf5111e68cc1

The above link is to a letter a woman wrote her Mom about learning to be unattractive, insecure and unworthy.

There is no easy answer, but there are a lot of different ways to overcome your self loathing. You can start by simply googling "overcoming self loathing".
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    For what it is worth...which might not be much...

If I was your age and size...I wouldn't worry so much about diet or how much that scale says. I would hope that I would worry more about how to "live".

I would call 2 or 3 friends...see if they wanted to split a pizza. I would laugh...tell funny jokes or stories...listen to music...maybe even flirt with the cute guy at the next table.

Then...

Tomorrow I would get up...go buy the cutest workout outfit that I could find and...start walking...running...join a gym...ask some close friends to come work out with me...and I would laugh some more.

I wish that I had done these things when I was your age and your size.

Remember one thing...those people around you can't give you support if you haven't told them that you need it. Don't be afraid to ask your family and friends to help you through this...until you learn to "live". They might not always tell you what you want to hear...but maybe they will tell you what you need to hear.

A friend once told me..."I won't always give you what you want but I will give you what you need." Sometimes what I need is painful.

I wish you luck...I wish you success...most of all I wish you the life that you deserve and that you learn to "live".
  • MauxFaux
    Options
    What you see in the mirror likely isn't an accurate reflection of what you really look like to everyone else. Honestly when I look in the mirror what I see isn't the same thing as what I see when I see photographs of myself. It's weird how our minds will play tricks on us and focus on "flaws" that really aren't apparent in the overall appearance of yourself.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Jeanne855:
    While the intent may be good, there is no "food addiction" included in diagnostic criteria. Yes, there are other diagnosis that capture issues with food, but "food addiction" is not a specific diagnosis. There have been studies done, but there was not enough evidence to warrant "food addiction" to be included in the updated DSM. Again, the intent may be good, but the OP would be better served by seeking a trusted adult and/or a professional.

here is some additional reading for you (and anybody else interested) about the changes to the DSM-V. Please note the use of Binge Eating Disorder and not “food addiction.”

Feeding and Eating Disorders
    The chapter on Feeding and Eating Disorders in the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) includes several changes to better represent the symptoms and behaviors of patients dealing with these conditions across the lifespan. Among the most substantial changes are recognition of binge eating disorder, revisions to the diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa, and inclusion of pica, rumination and avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder. DSM-IV listed the latter three among Disorders Usually First Diagnosed in Infancy, Childhood, or Adolescence, a chapter that will not exist in DSM-5. In recent years, clinicians and researchers have realized that a significant number of individuals with eating disorders did not fit into the DSM-IV categories of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. By default, many received a diagnosis of “eating disorder not otherwise specified.” Studies have suggested that a significant portion of individuals in that “not otherwise specified” category may actually have
    binge eating disorder.

Binge Eating Disorder
    Binge eating disorder was approved for inclusion in DSM-5 as its own category of eating disorder. In DSM-IV, binge-eating disorder was not recognized as a disorder but rather described in Appendix B: Criteria Sets and Axes Provided for Further Study and was diagnosable using only the catch-all category of “eating disorder not otherwise specified.” Binge eating disorder is defined as recurring episodes of eating significantly more food in a short period of time than most people would eat under similar circumstances, with episodes marked by feelings of lack of control. Someone with binge eating disorder may eat too quickly, even when he or she is not hungry. The person may have feelings of guilt, embarrassment, or disgust and may binge eat alone to hide the behavior. This disorder is associated with marked distress and occurs, on average, at least
    once a week over three months. This change is intended to increase awareness of the substantial differences between binge eating disorder and the common phenomenon of overeating. While overeating is a challenge for many Americans, recurrent binge eating is much less common, far more severe, and is associated with significant
    physical and psychological problems.

http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Eating Disorders Fact Sheet.pdf

Feeding and Eating Disorders
    In DSM-5, the feeding and eating disorders include several disorders included in DSM-IV as feeding and eating disorders of infancy or early childhood in the chapter “Disorders Usually First Diagnosed in Infancy, Childhood, or Adolescence.” In addition, brief descriptions and preliminary diagnostic criteria are provided for several conditions under other specified feeding and eating disorder; insufficient information about these conditions is currently available to document their clinical characteristics and validity
    or to provide definitive diagnostic criteria.

Binge-Eating Disorder
    Extensive research followed the promulgation of preliminary criteria for binge eating disorder in Appendix B of DSM-IV, and findings supported the clinical utility and validity of binge-eating disorder. The only significant difference from the preliminary DSM-IV criteria is that the minimum average frequency of binge eating required for diagnosis has been changed from at least twice weekly for 6 months to at
    least once weekly over the last 3 months, which is identical to the DSM-5 frequency criterion for bulimia nervosa.

http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes from dsm-iv-tr to dsm-5.pdf

OP:
    I really hope you are able to seek some help and feel better. :flowerforyou:
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I can relate to you in some ways too, but i guess i have matured with age :laugh:
    I am 5'5 and around same weight as you. I have always been this weight, so people have never seen me lighter than i am currently and i again seem to be stuck at this weight! I also have to eat everything in sight and then i regret. But not while eating.
    This is where MFP has helped me by leaps and bounds. Just the calorie counting and pre planning helps me.
    I also tend to eat lighter food/food with lesser calories when i am busy, so i have some room to eat what i want once i get home.
    Also, the scale also gets me on track on many occasions. I go on these binge mode and then when i see scale move upwards, i get some control back and try to do it right as much as i can.
    You have mentioned you eat 1200 calories, that could also be one of the binging problems for you. I am eating on average 1600-1700 calories and i am losing weight. Do you exercise?

My body image thankfully is not bad, i see myself as chubby, but i know i am not too fat! Though i can easily lose a few more pounds :)
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls/view/the-dreaded-gym-mirror-604154 Here's a great blog to read, just now finished... she shared quite a lot of what you've just shared. The difference is, she's come out the other side and loves herself now!:heart:
    I'm sure people post this sort of thing all the time. And I'm not even sure what I'm looking for or what sorts of responses I'm expecting to get, if any. But I'm at an all-time low, and I need to vent and complain, so if you're even just reading this, thanks.

I hate myself. I look in the mirror, and see my belly fat hanging over my waistband, with my gigantic elephant thighs and flabby butt, and just feel like I'm the ugliest, most disgusting glob of human being ever. Like if someone would cut me open all that would come out is oozing fat, because most of the time, that's all I see.

But then it's more than that. My appearance reminds me of my lack of self-control. Because really, I must be five years old or something because who can't find it in them to say no to the fifth cookie or the tenth spoonful of sugar? I already feel full and I still eat another helping at every meal. I don't even know why. It's instant gratification, I guess. I want something tasty, and I see it, and I eat it. And then I feel guilty. It's this endless cycle that I can't seem to put a stop to because I have no self-discipline. I just can't say "no." The only way to lose weight that has ever worked is for me to be so restrictive that I can't eat anything. I go for hours without eating and then binge on 1200 calories worth of stuff and that's my day. That's how I've lost 16 pounds this past year. And now, I've just lost it. In terms of habits, I'm right where I was a year ago. I eat anything and everything in sight, and at the end of the day I just feel miserable and sick and worthless. But I don't know how to stop. I live in a house with three other people, so I can't get rid of the bad food around me.

And yet, I know it's my fault. I should have the motivation. I should have the self-control. And I don't know why I don't, or how I'm supposed to get it. I'm sitting here dying to go and binge but instead I'm trying to write this post. Every night I resolve that tomorrow will be better. And then it isn't. At the rate I'm going, I'm just going to gain back everything I've lost and then some. I'm so frustrated and sometimes all I want to do is cry. And then I feel stupid, because really, there are so many worse problems in the world and my life could be so much worse and yet I hate myself so much that it seems like everything else in my life is equally awful. There are more important things in life than being skinny. But I can't seem to remember that every time I step on the scale or look in the mirror. And yet, when I'm around food, the ONLY thought that goes through my head is "EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT." I am a failure.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Since you are in the "healthy" range for your age/height, it appears that you've got entirely too much time on your hands to obsess about yourself--I think a change of scenery wil help you put your life and body into persective. Take some time and volunteer to help at homeless shelters, senior centers, soup kitchens, vets hospitals and Habitat for Humanity-type projects. You'll come away with a better persective on life and gratitude for your "healthy" body...then start from there to honor your body with good food and the exercise it deserves so you can do more good deeds.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    too long; didn't read

Don't put food on a pedestal, and learn how to control your life
    Wouldn't take the advice of someone who also has "forever eating" on their profile.

Personally,I've been where you are & the best thing I've found to stop destructive habits is to see all the overthinking leading up to overeating/self hate as background noise.Honestly,Don't pay attention to it and it won't affect you.

Just a comment, you don't know why they have "forever eating" on their profile, they may be coming from a completely different background than you. Not everyone here is struggling with losing weight necessarily. Would you take advice from someone who has "forever trying to lose weight" or "forever trying to diet" on their profile? I try not to judge immediately based off of a couple words on a profile.

OP: Please seek help, from a trusted adult or professional who can help you through your destructive mindset. Getting past these barriers will hep you tremendously with your habits and how you feel about yourself.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    The things you say and think about yourself, would you ever say and think them about someone else?

I spent a lot of time hating myself too, and what finally clicked is when I realized how much more forgiving I was to others over myself, and started to work to extend the same care and courtesy to myself as I do to others.

Next time you go down this path, think: is this something I would think or say to my best friend? to my mother? to my sister? If the answer is no, take a step back and try to be more forgiving with yourself. Allow yourself to be loved.

This. Be your own best friend. Would you ever say those internal thoughts to someone else who is struggling in this way? Don't talk to yourself that way. You can do this. Come here when you need to. People here all have struggles or we wouldn't be here.

~Curly
  • duckiebayb
    Options
    Let me begin by saying you are NOT failure!! All you need is a little help, motivation, and a strong shoulder(s) to be there when you need it. One thing I have learned over the last few months is that we don;t have to starve ourselves, or change our eatting habits completely in order to be healthy or lose weight. By learning to eat in moderation, and believe me it will take time, you can still lose weight. Just by adding those few extra vegetables into each meal, helps make the difference. Never cut carbs out of a diet, because once you start eatting them again your body goes crazy and starts to store all that fat in fear that it will be "starved" again. Getting yourself into a good routine as far as exercising will help make a huge difference. Working out in the morniing is best I believe because then you feel refreshed, more energized, and your body is still burning off all those calories.

Know that no matter what, you are beautiful and you are NOT a failure.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. It really means a lot to me. Maybe seeing a professional is what I need, although that terrifies me. It's nice to know others understand what I'm feeling though, especially since I don't really have anybody close I feel like I can talk to in my "real life" (don't know how else to describe that). I'm planning my meals for tomorrow right now. I appreciate all of you so much. It just seems scary that this will never be over. Because like some of you said, I'll always have to eat. And so I'll always have to be conscious of my lifestyle habits, even once I do achieve my goals. It's amazing to have the support on here. I don't know where I'd be without it.
    When I saw your picture I had to take another look i was like damn that looks like me