Benching

Options
Hi all! I'm wondering what I should be able to bench press? As of right now, I'm only able to bench 80# 5X. What should I work up to?

Replies

• GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    How much you lift doesn't matter, and there is no magical number anyone should be able to lift. What is important it that you progress; this might mean gradually adding more weight, more reps or something else. :)
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    How much you lift doesn't matter, and there is no magical number anyone should be able to lift. What is important it that you progress; this might mean gradually adding more weight, more reps or something else. :)
    There isn't a weight to shoot for?? I just want to know if I'm strong enough. Strong enough for what you ask? No idea. Lol. Just strong enough. If I do lighter weights, and more reps, will that help?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    There isn't a weight to shoot for?? I just want to know if I'm strong enough. Strong enough for what you ask? No idea. Lol. Just strong enough. If I do lighter weights, and more reps, will that help?

No, there's not a weight to shoot for. You want progression - comparing yourself to others isn't going to benefit you. As long as you are progressing and lifting heavier each week/month, then you are on the right track.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options

There isn't really any useful objective number that people need to aim for, no. There are resources available that suggest targets for people (http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/BenchStandards.html < for example) but really it all depends on what you personally are looking to achieve. If you want to be stronger, but have no idea how strong you want to be then slightly increase the weight you are lifting periodically until you are happy. In this way you make progress and don't tie your sense of achievement into something artificial.
  • roz250
    roz250 Posts: 23
    Options

There is no 'standard' to shoot for, if that's what you're getting at; you have to set your own goals. For me, my goal is to bench 100 lbs over my (goal) body weight.

You say that you can get 80# for 5 reps, that means that your 1 rep max is probably around 100#. Get good and warm, grab a spotter and push yourself to your max.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    You can use strength standards guidelines on this link: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

The strength standards are based on your 1 rep max, so use the 1 rep max calculator above to estimate your 1 rep max. Here is a direct link to the calculator: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    Check out http://www.strstd.com/

You enter in your gender and weight and your current 1RM's and it shows you where you currently are on a scale from novice to elite - also gives you an idea of where you'd need to be to be considered untrained/novice/intermediate/advanced/elite. This is what I use to guage my progress. I'd test all your 1RM's now and keep a copy of it. I just printed off a progress report for myself and it's so fun to look back at where I was and where I am now and see how I've progressed.
  • Lindsay_1984
    Lindsay_1984 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just started benching and I do 3 reps of 85 pounds 6 times. Could I do more? Yes, if I really strained myself but I am not trying to overdo it right now since I just started.

When I was in college on the track team I benched 150 pounds so that is what I am working back up to.

Like others have said, what is important is that you see improvement over time. Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of males often have a goal of benching body weight.

That is my current goal personally even as a woman.

ATM I bench 100lbs 5x5 (heading to 105 tonight I hope)
  • Ninguneado77
    Options
    I increased weights too quickly and it affected my form. Recently, I dropped down to 8x120 lbs and I don't feel as if my shoulders are going to break (lol) Progressing slowly is the best way!
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Make sure to also use good form and don't lift too heavy. You can try a pyramid approach to increase weight with each set. You can injure your back or chest. If doing a high weight, make sure to use a spotter.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm wondering what I should be able to bench press? As of right now, I'm only able to bench 80# 5X. What should I work up to?

Sounds like right now you should be able to bench about 80# 5X. If you're wanting to improve you should work up to more.
  • corsairpro
    Options
    5 - 10 reps on a weight equal to your body weight would be quite adequate for everyday life (i.e. functional strength)

Going beyond that and you are building strength for the sake of building strength. There is much merit to building strength for its own sake but you asked for a goal and the above thought is but one way to go about it.
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    Thank you all for your great advice! I just kinda wanted to know where I stood with the average gal. :) I know what to do now. :happy:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    315 x 12

come back when you have that down
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    315 x 12

Next week, I got this! :wink:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    315 x 12

*wolf whistle*
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    315 x 12

*wolf whistle*
    :blushing:
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Next week you should be lifting more than this week. If not, then you aren't lifting enough. (This rule is not absolute)
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    for a girl I always think 135 is a great goal - nothing like a chick walking into a gym throwing a plate on both sides and benching, gets me going :P