What do you do to avoid mindless snacking?

Options

Replies

• KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    A big glass of water and freshly brushed teeth.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Try making it less mindless. Plan for and budget the calories for a bedtime snack.

This. The opposite of "mindless" is actually thinking about it. Either budger for it, or make a conscious decision not to.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I often snack but I make sure it's something healthy like Macadamias or a chunk of Camembert cheese :)
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    if I had those cravings it would take a trip to the store over the mountain etc to get the stuff. If it is not there hard to answer the craving.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I eat before going to bed, just plan it into your day
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    When I have to have crunchy salty I slice some turnips or sweet potatoes and eat them raw with salt and pepper. They're good!
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I used to do this too! Brush your teeth right after dinner, that's one trick that has helped me stay away from grazing all evening. Also, if I pre log snacks and close my entry right after dinner, I'm also much less likely to cheat.

Good luck OP :flowerforyou:
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    It's my most difficult time too. Now when it gets to about 9pm I brush my teeth!! Works for me hopefully you too.
  • rypstorm
    rypstorm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I have to have crunchy salty I slice some turnips or sweet potatoes and eat them raw with salt and pepper. They're good!

That is very strange, if not intriguing. Not sure if the salt and pepper will be able to remove the earthiness of the sweet potatoes. WIll have to give this one a try, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm not convinced.
  • rypstorm
    Options
    Another thought - avoid bringing home any work to do, since that seems to be a trigger for me.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I always have good intentions when getting snacks.... AT FIRST. then I feel like I want a little bit more and a little bit more. I dont buy anything tons of junk, only a couple of things I would eat over time. I walk to get away from those few things.

Lol I just found this: http://www.thekitchensafe.com/pages/overview
    totally going to try this out
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I always have good intentions when getting snacks.... AT FIRST. then I feel like I want a little bit more and a little bit more. I dont buy anything tons of junk, only a couple of things I would eat over time. I walk to get away from those few things.

Now I want one. But it looks a little flimsy. I bet throwing it against the wall a few times would crack it right open!
  • rypstorm
    Options

Now I want one. But it looks a little flimsy. I bet throwing it against the wall a few times would crack it right open!

Not to mention that it totally isn't big enough for my costco sized bag of chips.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough during the day?

I totally understand the mindless eating of crunchy/salty/sweet things. What I do is portion out 1 serving into a sandwich bag or something, and put the rest back in the cabinet. Bring your little baggie with you to do your work and that's your snack, no more! Also, think about how crappy it feels to have too much junky stuff sitting in your stomach when you're trying to sleep (and chances are that it will prevent you from getting good sleep, esp if it's sugary) and maybe that will help you?

You got this!
  • lLionMindl
    lLionMindl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    protein shake at night. tasty & kills cravings for treats.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    The best way to keep snacks out of your mouth is to keep them out of your cupboard. :smokin:
  • fatusextremus
    fatusextremus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I converted to a paleo diet I lost all desire to snack. The added protein and fat keeps you full.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Snack on celery, green beans, broccoli, bell pepper, etc with a bit of mrs dash or pepper on top. Super low calorie, still has that satisfying crunch~

Make a dip out of plain nonfat greek yogurt and dried onion if you want more? Or hummus.
  • rypstorm
    Options
    The best way to keep snacks out of your mouth is to keep them out of your cupboard. :smokin:

I have to agree with you. Unfortunately I share my kitchen with my kids, and those are the things they have for school snacks. And, I consider dark chocolate one of the main essential food groups...in moderation.
  • rypstorm
    Options
    Are you eating enough during the day?

I totally understand the mindless eating of crunchy/salty/sweet things. What I do is portion out 1 serving into a sandwich bag or something, and put the rest back in the cabinet. Bring your little baggie with you to do your work and that's your snack, no more! Also, think about how crappy it feels to have too much junky stuff sitting in your stomach when you're trying to sleep (and chances are that it will prevent you from getting good sleep, esp if it's sugary) and maybe that will help you?

You got this!

I tried the portioning out trick once, but ended up throwing the stuff out because it got stale. These monthly cravings are "cyclical" if you know what I mean. And, I feel guilty going through all those ziplock bags. I do agree with the portioning it though. Instead of eating out of a bag, I should just grab a handful and put it on a plate.