What to do when the pizza place is right across the street?

Options

Replies

• johnnyr24
    johnnyr24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Why not have a slice of pizza AND a salad? Filling and delicious and look at that you're eating veggies!

The two actually go really well together btw.

That's actually a win win for me. Never really considered mixing the 2 but now this sounds like a satisfying way to get both my veggies and the pizza I love. Thanks for sharing this :)
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I can literally take a walk outside of my apartment and the pizza place is right across the street from where I live. It takes me about 60 seconds to cross the street from my apartment door to the pizza place. What makes this scenario worse is that right next door is a Chinese take out place!

Wow! Are you my neighbor?!?! Add an amazing bagel shop that makes the most excellent egg cheese, sausage on a toasted everything bagel & you might be!

What about something not pizza- lots of pizza places have sandwiches (grilled chicken ones even!)? Do they make a personal size pizza (in my hood a large is 8 slices, medium 6, small is personal size). I've found neighborhood places are really willing to work with you.

The Chinese place be willing to make you steamed chicken or beef with broccoli and put sauce on side. Nix the rice and you have a healthy meal for sure.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I rarely cook meals that take over a half hour; usually, making a quick stir-fry or pasta dish is actually faster than waiting for take-out/delivery or going out. Get some new cookbooks or scour the internet for recipes that only take about fifteen minutes.

As you mentioned, it's a good idea to make food in advance. Last spring, I was very busy with school and an internship during the week, but I found time on the weekends to cook. I usually made breakfast and lunch for the whole week on Sunday. You can make freezer meals too, to cook even less often. I also find that, if I already bought the ingredients and they're highly perishable, I'm more likely to stick to my original plan of cooking. That's why I plan my meals and go food shopping in advance. I don't want to waste food and money.
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    New York styled pizza is a good cheat food. Even if you have a slice or two once a week, I think it would be fine in my opinion. Very often I crave pizza, but it's $20 for the really super yummy ones that the family loves, so we get it once a month (except November and December because of the holidays). It keeps your body guessing. It seems to me from experience, if you eat good all the time, you tend to deprive yourself of other foods. That, and when you add, say... an extra 1-2k worth of calories one day and start fresh the next, you tend to lose weight a little better.

I was supposed to have pizza tomorrow for my cheat food, but learned that there's pastrami sandwiches at Subway for December only, so we're going to have that instead, then maybe pizza next month!

Another way to think about it, work yourself hard the day you want that pizza. Drink a bottle of water, maybe have a snack, and then wait twenty minutes to see if you really want that pizza!

Or make your own! :happy:
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Learn to cook. The food you can make at home is better. I live within 50 steps of Mexican, Thai, Chinese, two bars with American, and a pizza joint. 100 steps and look out! Proximity has nothing to do determination.

I agree. I'm not vegan or anything but I have a vegan and vegetarian cookbook in my kitchen drawer. Problem is with my work and university schedule being so hectic I rarely have time for myself these days. Im thinking about cooking my meals in advance so that I have no excuse to order out. I just have to get into the habit of finding time to do so.

This is a really good idea. I have a job plus went back to college and meal planning is a lifesaver. I know there will be days when I will come home too exhausted to cook, so I have to plan to have meals in the fridge I can just heat up..

Some people make crockpot meals that are ready when they get home. A couple of times a week I cook big batches of steel cut oats (breakfast) and spiced lentils, brown rice, and vegetables to reheat.Sometimes I have canned soup (I need to learn to make my own because of the sodium) with steamed kale or a sweet potato.

Decide what you like to eat and make batches ahead of time.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Just throw in the towel. Clearly the world is conspiring against you. Don't fight, just give in
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Mmm, cant beat a bit of pizza.

Erm, sorry. Move house?
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    What I do is get a vegetarian thin crust pizza and ask for no cheese or just a little cheese then it's not really a lot of calories. It's the fatty meats and tons of cheese plus thick crusts that make it more fattening. For Chinese go for seafood dishes or vegetarian and ask them to use less oil. No deep fried anything.

pretty much what I do too, I pair it with a salad and a huge glass of water. no need to deprive yourself all the time. Vegies are your friend when having pizza, tacos or Chinese ( all of my favorites) I work at a pizza place so I know how tempting it can be but I just tell myself I need to earn it first. Everyday cant be a reward day
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I started to make my own. A bit of cheating as I don't make the dough, but I get low calorie flat bread or pita bread. Plus there is this great tasting fire roasted sauce that's 25 cals per serving which is enough for the bread, and then top it with Velveeta shredded cheese, since it had the least calories per serving, then for pepperoni, I use Turkey Pepperoni, less calories.

I started making my own burgers too.

What I miss and haven't been able to find a healthier alternative is chinese food... my sister gets takeout at least once a week from our favorite place, I swear I think she does it on purpose... or she gets Peter Piper Pizza, my favorite... or something else... she gets takeout waaay too much.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    why did the chicken cross the road? b/c...pizza!
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    why did the chicken cross the road? b/c...pizza!

Reminds me, I also make my own like Chicken pizza, instead of pizza sauce, I use like alfredo or something similar sauce with some chicken breast meat.
  • Noamsh
    Noamsh Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with eating pizza, or any other fast food for that matter, every once in a while as long as it's within your calories.
    I eat pizza once a week probably, and I think that as long as you eat in moderation, you don't have to give anything up.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I started to make my own. A bit of cheating as I don't make the dough, but I get low calorie flat bread or pita bread. Plus there is this great tasting fire roasted sauce that's 25 cals per serving which is enough for the bread, and then top it with Velveeta shredded cheese, since it had the least calories per serving, then for pepperoni, I use Turkey Pepperoni, less calories.

What I miss and haven't been able to find a healthier alternative is chinese food... my sister gets takeout at least once a week from our favorite place, I swear I think she does it on purpose... or she gets Peter Piper Pizza, my favorite... or something else... she gets takeout waaay too much.

If you can make pizza and burgers you can make your own version of chinese food too - eg stir fry chicken breast strips add lots of vegetables, add ginger, garlic, a touch of soy sauce, have a little steamed rice with it - yummy and not too bad calorie wise.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat pizza and Chinese within my calorie limit. Problem solved. I don't see what the big deal is. 2 slices is around 600 cals. Big whoop! I eat pizza all the time.

This! As long as you track it and stay within your daily intake, you can have it. It may also sober you up to see how many calories/fat is in a piece of restaurant-chain pizza. Play around with your diary and look up some of the places. I did that recently and I don't have the urge to have that item anymore. I do love pizza but make my own at home.
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options

If you can make pizza and burgers you can make your own version of chinese food too - eg stir fry chicken breast strips add lots of vegetables, add ginger, garlic, a touch of soy sauce, have a little steamed rice with it - yummy and not too bad calorie wise.

Mainly my fav's are Fried rice, BBQ ribs the way the place we like makes them, orange chicken, ginger wings... sometimes I think it be nice to take some cooking classes for food I don't normally make, or have experience making.
  • purplelizzard
    purplelizzard Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You cannot deny yourself those foods.

My suggestion is when you go there, just order a slice or two and that's it. Don't order an entire pie, then you will be less tempted to eat more of it at home.
    When I go to chinese now, I only order items that can be steamed and only allow myself 1/2 cup of the rice. I am still getting my fix, yet I am being healthier than I was.

The only way you can make this work is if you don't deny yourself. If you deny you are going to want it more and when you finally let yourself have it, it's not going to be pretty.
    Great job ordering a salad though! :)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Burn the pizza place to the ground! That is the only solution.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Condition yourself to think of pizza, particularly from that pizza place, as disgusting......think about the workers there sweating on the pizza, going to the toilet without washing their hands or sneezing / spitting on the toppings!
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    In my neighborhood I have a donut shop and a souvlaki place which are only 2 minutes away.. How don't I ever buy those stuff? I am just so broke that i can't afford it hehe x)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Cut off your legs. The benefits are immediate weight loss, and long term weight loss because you can't walk to the pizza place.