This gallery explains why millions of Americans are obese…

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is trying to point out that portion sizes for food has increased over the years. Meaning more calories consumed. Nothing about clean eating, or not eating those things.

No no, he's saying food is bad. Let's fight about it.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is trying to point out that portion sizes for food has increased over the years. Meaning more calories consumed. Nothing about clean eating, or not eating those things.

that's quite a jump to a conclusion based on a teeny tiny sample size of dubious validity.

this is why it's propaganda.
  • dauvis
    dauvis Posts: 57
    Options
    Portion sizes are a part of it yes (I can remember when a large soda from McD was only 16 oz). Another part of it is the availability of fast food (I can count 4 McD on my route to work and that's just McD). Another part is the constant propaganda to get us to eat something (advertising works or nobody would be doing it). Another part is the increased sedentary lifestyle of society as a whole (our ancestors did not need exercise equipment to be healthy)....

I can go on all day.
  • jwdieter
    Options
    that's quite a jump to a conclusion based on a teeny tiny sample size of dubious validity.

this is why it's propaganda.

Dubious validity? Everyone knows there were no big gulps or large fries back in the 90s.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Cokes were 6.5 oz twenty years ago? I don't think so.
  • jwdieter
    Options
    Cokes were 6.5 oz twenty years ago? I don't think so.

Dude, that was last millenium. There are people using this forum who weren't even alive back then. There wasn't even wi-fi.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have been watching documentaries on Netflix about the changes made to our food supply. Aside from the obvious, it really made me consider the taste of food. Frozen "steamed" bags of veggies in most cases are down right aweful tasting. The nutrients in our veggies are not what they used to be. I now understand why there is such a push to "eat local." The longer the food sits in transportation, the more loss of nutrients. I am going to do my best to stay away from the food depicted here, because I REALLY don't want to clog my arteries.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I just showed this picture to my 5 year old and asked him what it meant. He correctly observed that the 1st pic of each set was small, the 2nd pic was large. Then I asked him how it related to clean eating, and he told me that your hands stay cleaner when you eat if you use a fork and spoon. I hope this helps some of you.
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I guess in this case, bigger isn't always better!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I find this deceptive. Those OG sizes are still readily available.

What has actually changed is people's insistence on buying bigger.

ETA: Yes, "propoganda" is in fact the right descriptor.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options

Failure is not understanding the distinction between food content and food quantity.

Not always. Determining if one is succeeding or failing depends on the goal. If the goal is weight loss, food quantity (in the form of calories) needs to be the focus. If the goal is to maximize the quality of nutrients ingested, then food content should be the focus. That's not to say that you can't achieve both at the same time, but it's not necessary to do so to succeed..
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    Oh look, here's the article those terribad pics came from http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/portion-sizes-then-and-now-america-growing
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    Clearly.

Now if we just showed these pictures to everyone in America, then everyone would be at a "normal weight".

Thank you.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Today''s cheeseburger has lettuce..awesome!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    people are obese because they overeat..that is how I ballooned up to 210 pounds...

but right, lets all blame the corporations for making food taste better and increasing portion sizes....rollz eyez
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Oh look, here's the article those terribad pics came from http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/portion-sizes-then-and-now-america-growing

Is terribad slang?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    fail. :laugh:

blurry pictures of food don't make people fat.

silly clean eating propaganda is silly.

QFT.
    Did it mention clean eating ?

not yet, but that train is never late...
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    See, I don't think it's the size of the food stuffs, it's the access and marketing thereof. Families used to cook dinners, now they see how 'easy and convenient' a hamburger helper dinner or a quick drive thru at McDonald's would be. I don't think it's just the size, it's the marketing as well.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    the pizza one is complete BS.

2 pieces of medium pepperoni pizza TODAY is only 460 calories. probably the exact same as it was 20 years ago.

and pizza sizes haven't changed in 20 years, so comparing medium to medium or large to large will still yield no change in that time period.

dubious propaganda is dubious.